It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:59 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 4:14 pm
Posts: 319
Amar Akbar Anthony
Can anyone post the screenshots of the shemaroo print?
stephen says it is better than DEI version (see Khalnayak discussion)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:29 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 2:06 pm
Posts: 4941
Location: UK
Indeed I'd be interesting in seeing these screen shots too :wink:

Ali


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:59 pm
Posts: 710
Location: Scotland
I've taken a few caps from a promo from the Baghban DVD - better than nothing. :wink:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2001 5:53 pm
Posts: 14969
This looks good!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2001 4:17 pm
Posts: 2853
Location: Canada
brownboy05 wrote:
Amar Akbar Anthony
Can anyone post the screenshots of the shemaroo print?
stephen says it is better than DEI version (see Khalnayak discussion)

BB..doesnt matter if its "good" than the DEI print....

It is still not PROGRESSIVE..... so DEI wins always...just as DEI wins in Khalnayak....Unless SHemaroo fixes that problem, their DVDs will still be sub-standard :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2001 5:53 pm
Posts: 14969
It looks like reversed processed DEI masters from NTSC to PAL this time by shemaroo the great!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2002 2:15 pm
Posts: 441
Location: USA
The screen shots look great!!

The DVD is not progressive, but I could care less.

Another good job by Shemaroo!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2001 4:17 pm
Posts: 2853
Location: Canada
ksingh wrote:
but I could care less.


Maybe you should check out the worthiness of having a progressive transfer !! and then you would surely care more !

viewtopic.php?t=7680


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:59 pm
Posts: 710
Location: Scotland
Personally, I'd take interlaced with good colour/contrast rendition over progressive with poor colour/contrast any day.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2001 7:27 pm
Posts: 5917
Stephen wrote:
Personally, I'd take interlaced with good colour/contrast rendition over progressive with poor colour/contrast any day.


Makes no sense.
Why will a progressive DVD have any worst "colour/contrast " than its interlaced counterpart. If anything, Progressive DVD will have a better "colour/contrast " than the interlaced DVD.
Plus, you can get a much better picture from a Progressive DVD when using as Progressive DVD Player-Display combo while interlaced DVD will give you no improvement.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:59 pm
Posts: 710
Location: Scotland
rana wrote:
Why will a progressive DVD have any worst "colour/contrast " than its interlaced counterpart. If anything, Progressive DVD will have a better "colour/contrast " than the interlaced DVD.


I meant in comparison between the two AAA DVDs. Obviously, ideally a good DVD would be progressive and have good colour/contrast rendition too, but I thought DEI's release had a very rusty look to the film.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 4:14 pm
Posts: 319
First, let me thank stephen for the shots, good effort.

second, the reason I was looking for an alternative to AAA from DEI was that DEI had a few errors:

Half of comic Mirror scene from AB is from VHS quality
Rishi Kapoors entrance at Doctors' surgery has missing dialogue (silence)
there are more which I cant recollect now. otherwise brilliant.

I am poorly informed on progressive/ interlaced video. Will it make a difference to conventional TVs aswell? Or is the benefit only to LCD/plasma? I think its to do with doubling the lines per frame.
Skant or others please inform


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:43 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 2:06 pm
Posts: 4941
Location: UK
rana wrote:

Makes no sense.
Why will a progressive DVD have any worst "colour/contrast " than its interlaced counterpart. If anything, Progressive DVD will have a better "colour/contrast " than the interlaced DVD.
Plus, you can get a much better picture from a Progressive DVD when using as Progressive DVD Player-Display combo while interlaced DVD will give you no improvement.


If the interlaced DVD is better sourced than the progressive DVD then the interlace DVD can show more pleasing and better representation of movie - case in example -

Image

Image

.. Although generally the DEI is better, it's not the case in that shot. The DEI one looks murky and bland. It's not always the case a progressive encoded DVD will provide better contrast and colour - that fundamentally comes from a proper hi-quality telecine in the first instance. The IDreams DVD on the other thread have got both things right and looks better than any other Indian DVD I’ve seen (admittedly from shots alone) – but that’s more to-do with it’s proper sourcing than it’s progressive encoding. I can point to loads of Hollywood DVD that are progressive encoded but look poor due to improper contrast and colour. Just compare the new generation of collectors editions being released from Warner with their first-generation counterparts.

Ali


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2002 2:15 pm
Posts: 441
Location: USA
sknath wrote:
ksingh wrote:
but I could care less.


Maybe you should check out the worthiness of having a progressive transfer !! and then you would surely care more !

viewtopic.php?t=7680


I do care, but were talking about a Bollywood DVD so given how many DVDs that come out for Bollywood contain a life less transfer, when a company does a good transfer for a Bollywood movie even if it is not progressive I will be very happy with the DVD.

Bollywood movies are not lucky like Hollywood movies when they come to DVD where every Hollywood DVD has a progressive transfer with good video.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2001 7:27 pm
Posts: 5917
ksingh wrote:
sknath wrote:
ksingh wrote:
but I could care less.


Maybe you should check out the worthiness of having a progressive transfer !! and then you would surely care more !

viewtopic.php?t=7680



Bollywood movies are not lucky like Hollywood movies when they come to DVD where every Hollywood DVD has a progressive transfer with good video.


So can be Bollywood DVDs. Only one decision required:

If telecine is PAL, produce a PAL DVD. Period.
If PAL countries TVs can display NTSC signal, so can the NTSC countries now display PAL signal with the advent of High Def TVs. PCs and large screens too.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group