Anwar

Cast Manisha Koirala, Siddharth Koirala, Rajpal Yadav,Vijay Raaz
Director
Brand/Distributor Shemaroo
Genre Film, Drama
Subtitles English, Tamil, Telugu
Year 2007

Ali

Last edited by ali on Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:26 pm 

Here are the screen shots:

Last edited by amp71691 on Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the screen shots amp71691, copied them over :thumbs:

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:56 pm 

I didn't see any comments about this film in " Movie, TV, Music and Box-office" forum,and now that the DVD has been released, may as well post my comments about the film here.

Saw it on Shemaroo DVD. I thought, I could just scan it in 15-20 min, but no way. Couldn't skip any portion. If I did, had to go back to see what I missed. Film is so engrossing.

I rate it 10 out of 10.

DVD authoring is PAL to NTSC converted Field Averaged.

Last edited by rana on Wed May 23, 2007 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:40 pm 
Site Admin

Watched this Shemaroo DVD yesterday, a very good movie. Didn’t expect much from it as I’ve not heard anything about it (not that I read reviews these days :oops: ). It’s very well made and tells a gripping story. Visuals are stunning. Becoming a fan of Manish Jha style of film making, liked Matrubhoomi too.

Ali

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:11 am 
Wasn’t sure if I like or hate this film, in the end, many parts were thought provoking about religion and politics which left impression so I can’t say it was terribly rotten film. Lots of dragging, flashbacks yet story has good mystery and satire. Don’t want to spoil story but the religion killing scene didn’t seem reality in this generation is this far out or what? The Valentines Day comedy was funny, (lol) when that fat baldy politician called Americans naughty for celebrating Valentines he buys a Valentine card for mistress and gets dumped. Shemaroo picture looked nice and clear.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:18 am 

jadoo wrote:
Wasn’t sure if I like or hate this film, in the end, many parts were thought provoking about religion and politics which left impression so I can’t say it was terribly rotten film. Lots of dragging, flashbacks yet story has good mystery and satire. Don’t want to spoil story but the religion killing scene didn’t seem reality in this generation is this far out or what? The Valentines Day comedy was funny, (lol) when that fat baldy politician called Americans naughty for celebrating Valentines he buys a Valentine card for mistress and gets dumped. Shemaroo picture looked nice and clear.

Jha's film is the only Hindi film this year I can think of that really delves deep and dares to actually challenge its audience in any way. Its challenge is two-fold--both to their expectations going in and to their personal sense of morality. Yet--contrary to what some right-wing pundits would have you believe--it's not an Issue Film; it's just a poetically spare account of lonely souls trying to find some invaluable comfort in a relationship. Jha's last two films are pessimistic on love, I'd say - sort of a contemporary Antonioni, as his work supports the notion of the 'impossibility of love'. While both filmmakers have shown love as something that can exist and has its beautiful moments - both also show it as fleeting, or only permanent as memory, in Jha's case. This is a great love story sans any sort of romance.

Also, unlike Matrabhoomi, which relied more on metaphysics, and very much abstracted - Anwar has it's share of minimalist style, and relied on emotions to drive it's metaphysics.

I personally love his minimalism; it gives his films a texture, look and feel that you can't find anywhere else.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:59 pm 
DVD Collector wrote:
Yet--contrary to what some right-wing pundits would have you believe--it's not an Issue Film; it's just a poetically spare account of lonely souls trying to find some invaluable comfort in a relationship.

I don’t know dvdcollector, I understand where you’re coming from; however, it is my opinion that Anwar is not only about romanticism. It raises lots of controversial issues, questions and explores ethics relevant to society, beliefs and the decadent side of human nature. Jha doesn’t discriminate , moral conclusions are debatable. There were a few unnecessary characters bit too much lingering on flashbacks, otherwise yea, it has plenty going for it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:19 am 

are there any better releases of this movie on DVD? I really want to see this film!!