It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:03 pm 

http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=14057223

Bhanumathi Ramakrishna passes away
Monday, 26 December , 2005, 10:24

ImageImage

Chennai: Versatile film personality Bhanumathi Ramakrishna died of renal failure around midnight on Saturday at her residence here. She was 81 and is survived by her son, Dr Bharani.

Bhanumathi, who made her screen debut in 1938, had acted in over 200 films in Tamil and Telugu in lead roles opposite big stars of the 50s and 60s including MGR, Sivaji Ganesan, NT Rama Rao and Akkineni Nageswara Rao. One of the original one-man-industry,’ she had produced, directed and scored music for several movies in Tamil and Telugu, besides lending voice to her own songs.

In a career spanning more than four decades, Bhanumathi’s acting skills won endorsement from Arignar Anna himself, who hailed her as the encyclopaedia of acting. Bhanumathi had acted with two late state Chief Ministers, MGR and N T Rama Rao.

Recipient of the Padma Shri award, besides numerous state awards, Bhanumathi was also a talented writer with a number of short stories to her credit.

Her autobiography Nalo Nenu was published in Telugu and later, released in English as Musings.

She was cremated at the Besant Nagar crematorium on Sunday evening, with the cream of the local film industry paying their last respects.

In her condolence message, Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa hailed Bhanumathi as a colossus in the film world. ‘‘Dr Bhanumathi was a person of rare courage and forthrightness, who always stood up for the highest values and principles, believed in herself and lived life on her own terms. She was a living example of women’s empowerment,’’ she said.

A wreath was laid on the mortal remains of Bhanumathi on behalf of the state government by minister D Jayakumar. Veteran film maker RM Veerappan, music director M S Viswanathan, Nadigar Sangam general secretary Sharath Kumar, Napoleon, Prabhu, Vijayakumar, producer ‘Mukta’ Srinivasan, Producers’ Council president T G Thiagarajan, Distribtuors Council president Arulpathi, secretary Kalaipuli Sekar, D Rama Naidu, actors Sarada and Manorama also paid their respects.

http://www.telugucinema.com/c/stars/bha ... ribute.php

Tribute to Bhanumathi Ramakrishna
By NaChaKi
Dec 25, 2005, 02:57

'PadmaSree' Dr. Paluvayi Bhanumathi (81), more popular as Bhanumathi, expired on Saturday, December 24, 2005, at 11:45 p.m. in Chennai.

Brief Profile:

At a young age of 13, she shone on the silver screen in Vara Vikrayam (1939). With Swargaseema (1945), she got a major hit. She married P.S. Ramakrishna Rao on August 08, 1943 (and thereafter called Bhanumathi Ramakrishna), during the shoot of Krishna Prema, for which Ramakrishna worked as an assistant director. She floated "Bharani Pictures" banner in 1947 with Ratnamala, and later established Bharani Studios (1950) along with her husband and exhibited talent in various departments during the making of their first film Chandirani (1953), which was made in Tamil, Telugu, and Hindi and was released simultaneously all over India.

The great lady's was almost always prefixed by bahumukha praj~naaSaali in Telugu, while Tamil audiences fondly called her ashTaavadhaani; both these honors portray her multifaceted talent exhibited in the fields of direction, production, script and screenplay-writing, and music in the film industry, apart from being an astrologer, a painter, and philosopher. She directed 16 films in all, rendered songs in several languages, in Carnatic, Hindustani, and even English pop style.

She was known not to bend her head at anyone, but is known by those who know her closely as someone very kind at heart and a person who's not haughty. Having entered Telugu Cinema long before even heroes NTR and ANR started off, she acted in all south Indian languages and Hindi (first film being Nishaan in 1950), with major heroes such as Y.V. Rao, Ch. Narayana Rao, V. Nagaiah, N.T.R, A.N.R, M.G.R, Sivaji Ganeshan, Raj Kumar, etc.
More details: Star Profiles: Bhanumathi

Actor Chandramohan recollects...

Speaking to TeluguCinema.Com on this occasion, actor Chandramohan said, "I worked with her in Vivaaha Bandham (her own production and direction, with NTR in the lead), Peddarikam, and Muddula Manavaraalu and got to know her good nature very well. "My elder sister is a great fan of her and doesn't let anyone say a word against Bhanumathi gaaru. I took my sister to her after I got to know her well, and she treated us both so well, and even presented us new clothes. Even when they were selling plots behind Bharani Studios (Bharani Nagar), I approached her on behalf of one of my relatives, and she gave us the plot for dirt cheap and fondly chided me for taking the trouble to come myself instead of just calling her. She's so nice, loving, affectionate, and caring, in her words and action too. I was planning on meeting her sooner or later, and didn't expect this mishap would occur before I could see her."
Awards & Honors:

Her long list of honors is only a glimpse of her personality.

* First lady recipient of State Honours (1956) after the formation of Andhra Pradesh state
* National award for Best Actress thrice: Annai (Tamil), Antasthulu (Telugu), Palnati Yuddham (Telugu)
* "naDippuku ilakkaNam" (Grammar for Acting) title bestowed by Sree Anna Durai for her performance in Rangoon Radha (Tamil)
* PadmaSree (1966) by Government of India
* Andhra Pradesh Sahitya Academy award for Best short-story writer ("attagaari kathalu")
* Andhra University's Honorary Doctorate (1975) for her contribution to film industry and literature
* Tamilnadu Iyal Isai Nataka Manram's "kalaimaamaNi" (Jewel among Artistes) in 1984
* Lions Club International's "Bahukala Dheerati Sreemathi" at the First Lionesses Assembly (1984).
* Sree Venkateswara University's Honorary Doctorate (1984)
* Andhra Pradesh State Government's Raghupathi Venkaiah Memorial Award and Best Lady Director award (1986)
* Director and Principal for Tamilnadu Government Music College, Chennai (1985-1988) – the only lady musician ever appointed to this government-appointed position
* "Great Artiste of the year 1993-'94" by Doctor's Association of London, U.K. (1994)
* "First Senior Lady Director" honor by The Karnataka Director's Association
* Member of Children's Film Society (1965-1970)
* Member of Lalith Kala Academy for 5 years
* Member of Andhra Pradesh Sahitya Academy for 10 years
* Founder Member and Treasurer of Madras Branch of Altrusa International Inc., Chicago (1963-1993), and continued as a member even after 1993.
* Life Member of Red Cross Society, for about 40 years
* Member of State Film Awards Committee for two years
* Visiting Professor to the Film Institute for one year.
* Founder of Educational Institution, named as "Dr. Bhanumathi Ramakrishna Matriculation School" at Saligramam, Chennai, giving free education to the poor.
* "swarNakankaNam" (A gold bracelet) and the title "Mutlifaceted Queen of the Indian Screen" for her lifetime achievement as Film Producer, Director, Artiste, Singer, Music Director, and owner of Bharani Pictures and Studios

Unfortunately, Dadasaheb Phalke award evaded her at least twice (including this year), due to certain ugly politics pertaining in the film industry.

Acknowledgements: Sri

© Copyright by Telugucinema.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:07 pm 

Banumathi is bold and beautiful. Great actress and singer, always has a charm when she is on the screen.

Its sad to see many film personalities didnt show up to pay their respect Banumathi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:49 pm 

dvdunlimited wrote:
Its sad to see many film personalities didnt show up to pay their respect Banumathi.

Unfortunately thats how the film industry works. Out of sight out of mind.