It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:22 pm 

Hi Guys,
last thursday (15/01/04), I saw the Tamil Movie, "Virumaandi".
As I am a big fan of Kamal, the movie was just excellent. Being objective, it is a good film, well shot and performances were excellent.
My query here is, I heard the Dvd was authored and being made in the US. As for the facts, this is the first time a Tamil movie was released in the US (?).
Have any of you heard of this? Who is doing the Dvd?
Is it not Ayngaran, in which case we could expect some interviews with Kamal, commentary and other making ofs as these were aired on Tamil Satellite Tvs throughout the festival season of Pongal.
I know there are many fans of good tamil movies here and I was just wondering if anybody had any news?

Thanks

Dredd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:40 pm 

The film was okay but I doubt it will be a hit in India as the film has an international art film look to it, something that doesn't gel with Tamil audiences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:15 pm 

Shahran Sunny Audit wrote:
The film was okay but I doubt it will be a hit in India as the film has an international art film look to it, something that doesn't gel with Tamil audiences.

I read that advance booking at the Satyam theater in Chennai was sold out. All reviews mention how violent the film is, and people won't want to see it over and over again. I expect Dhanush's new film to attract all the youth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:51 am 

I can now confirm that Ayngaran will be doing the DVD of this title. It will be in progressive 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen, with Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS. This DVD will use original negatives that was passed with THX certificate in USA.

Their will be no special features as there wasn't time to create any since this release is already under DVD encoding. The release should be around start of March.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:06 am 

hey sunny does this movie have english subs at the theatre?? I'm considering watching this at Woodside but i don't know if it has any subtitles or not...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:39 pm 

There are no subtitles...at cinema...best to wait for the DVD version....I promise you it will be the same quality as BEI DVDs.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:39 pm 

Among the movies released for Pongal, Virumaandi is the best performing one at theatres. After a long time a Kamal film is making money at Box Office. Wish him the best and hope he brings us MARYDHANAYAGAM one day if it is still feasible and profitable (at least breakeven-able)
Dhanush's film is a flop as well as the Prashanth film "Jai".
Vijayakanth's film is the second behind Kamal's though not as succesfull. As for "Kovil" the new Hari directed one it is not flop but very close according to trade, the film is only playing due to Hari's previous "Saamy" being a blockbuster.

As for the dvd, I heard Kamal on interviews saying there was a dvd being authored or made in the US. (I also saw the name PRASAD during Intermission, on a blank reel of the film). There should be two distributors for teh dvd then one for the US and Ayngaran. It could be BMD for the US as they have done all Kamal's latest films on DVD with the same quality as Ayngaran's.
Probabably the BMD dvd will have the Making ofs and Extra Scenes...
Can anyone get more info?

Dredd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:18 pm 

BMD version will be the same as Ayngaran's. Ayngaran has already done the DVD encoding and authoring but is waiting for the traditional six month barrier before releasing it. Meanwhile to save on costs BMD is using the same master.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:58 pm 

Sunny,
why is Ayngaran not pushing the producers (Kamal) to get some Supplements for the DVD. I heard that the Press Kit was quite good for Virumaandi. They could take that and include it in the dvd?
We do not see how Indian/Tamil movies are made and I thought DVD would give us more on that but it is still not the case! It'd be nice to see some gag reels and shooting spot camcorder footage and interviews!!

Dredd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:14 pm 

dredd wrote:
We do not see how Indian/Tamil movies are made and I thought DVD would give us more on that but it is still not the case! It'd be nice to see some gag reels and shooting spot camcorder footage and interviews!!

Dredd I agree with you. It'd awesome to see some on the set footage and some gag reels of Indian films. I thought Kaaka Kaaka' extras was pretty good, still nothing compares to Hollywood extras, but a good start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:41 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:30 pm 

No DTS? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:57 pm 

Sunny said it was going to be mono, remember?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:39 pm 

That sucks! I hope they won't screw up the transfer. I'm looking forward to watching Virumaandi in mono. :roll: :(

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:43 pm 

Dear All

Virumandi DVD is now available for sale. Please visit http://dvdunlimitedonline.com/shop/prod ... ts_id=1782 to place your order.

Thanks
DVDUnlimitedOnline.com