It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:14 pm 

Sorry to bug you guys but since I bought a new LG 4040B DVD +/-/RAM Writer recently I backed up Nayak which was starting to rot. Below are the screenshots of it. Sound is as it 5.1, english subtitles intact and animorphic widescreen. I used DVD Shrink and Nero 6 Ultra Edition to make this DVD+R.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:32 pm 

Could you use 9.4GB blank DVDs and get exact copies of the originals, instead of using the 4.7GB Dvds and having to shrink the movie?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:58 pm 

LEGEND,
quite dumb at all these. could you post some actual screenshots from the original dvd to get the better idea as to how much one has to compromise.

and punjabidude,
i remember you mentioning about copying in 2 disk to exact replica of the dvd. and according to your words now, it may be even possible to record onto a single disk with exact replica of the dvd.

how much is the cost difference between the discs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:25 pm 

Original VS Version

DVDR Copy of VS Version

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:27 pm 

Punjabimunda .... I have no idea where to get the 9.4gb discs and if they are compatible with the drive or not. I am in Canada if you know let me know...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

punjabimunda wrote:
Could you use 9.4GB blank DVDs and get exact copies of the originals, instead of using the 4.7GB Dvds and having to shrink the movie?

9.4GB blank DVDs (or whatever the capacity of dual layered discs are) don't exist just yet. But just recently Pioneer announced the first dual layer DVD writer, news story here;

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8135

… dual layered writing and exact copying of dual layered DVDs is only a step away :eek:

Ali :baaa:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:38 pm 

check here for what is available and info on their specs and usages.

http://www.mam-a.com/technology/dvd/structure.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:40 pm 

I can see the differences in the two screen caps. But, which one is better?? Depends on individual preferrences.

In the copy some wrikles in the facial expression, skin flaws, moire pattern has been smoothed out. This kind of filtering changes the picture for the better or for the worst.

Rana

CORRECTED LATER:

My comments apply only if it was the same shot in both pictures. Actually it is not.

Rana

Edited By rana on 1065731091

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:20 pm 

For OVERALL, IMHO, COPY is a lot WORSE than ORIG VS NAYAK..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:10 pm 

shuman wrote:
and punjabidude,
i remember you mentioning about copying in 2 disk to exact replica of the dvd. and according to your words now, it may be even possible to record onto a single disk with exact replica of the dvd.

how much is the cost difference between the discs?

This site has the 9.4 GB DVD-R for sale. They are actually double sided DVD-R discs. So you could record half the movie on one side and the other half on the other side and have the whole movie on one DVD and get an exact replica of the original DVD.

The advantage of the 9.4 GB would be you have the whole movie on one DVD but you still have to flip sides during the movie!!

I have a HP DVD writer which will record only on DVD+R, the only 9.4 GB DVDs I have seen are for DVD-R format, so with my current equipment i can't try out the 9.4GB DVDs.

out!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:39 pm 

arsh wrote:
For OVERALL, IMHO, COPY is a lot WORSE than ORIG VS NAYAK..

To me as well I can see the difference but it aint that bad Arsh ..... $25 Canadian vs $3 Canadian for a burned copy that will last much longer than the VS disc.

I wanted to back up Kurukshetra (ERO$/B4U) because it begain to rot but even the LG Burner only recognized part of the disc :rolleyes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:07 pm 

Well, U have lost all sharpness/detail..possibly colors fidelity too..IMHO..most of hindi movies are NOT WORTH SHRINKING...as Originals are ABYSMAL..

But if u r happy with results, that really matters..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:04 pm 

Its watchable thats I all I really care about ..... Indian DVDs are really getting pathetic, I agree with you they are abysmal and skrinking them makes them worse but its still better than wasting $25 dollars on it :) :) :)

English DVDs are all I really buy now.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:06 pm 

watch out for so-called "dupes" that are really half the quality of their dual-layered originals. the movie store i rent my dvds sell these inferior single layered dvd-r discs so i'm betting that this practice is wide-spread. from my limited knowledge, if the disc is blue or purple, it's probably single layered. (does anyone know the common colours of dvd-rs?)

i don't think any of the current dvd-writers on the market (at least the affordable ones) can give us true one disk dupes.

the double sided dvds that punjabimunda is talking about are not much of an improvement over one movie spread over two discs. wake me up when affordable dvd-writers can give me exact copies of movies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:23 pm 

rana wrote:
I can see the differences in the two screen caps. But, which one is better?? Depends on individual preferrences.

In the copy some wrikles in the facial expression, skin flaws, moire pattern has been smoothed out. This kind of filtering changes the picture for the better or for the worst.

Rana

I have to correct myself.

My comments apply only if it was the same shot in both pictures. Actually it is not.

Rana