It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:46 pm 

Heard Good things, supposedly with Naseer/Amol Palekar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:53 pm 

Arsh bhai - are you psychic?!!?!? I was just about to post about this movie........saw most of it on Sony yesterday (missed the start). Its a murder mystery based on a film set - it's a good movie - by no means fantastic, but a helluva lot better than most crap released nowadays. No songs in the movie at all - nice to see that was avoided, even though the film was based on a movie set. It stars Naseeruddin Shah, Shabana Azmi, Amol Palekar, Soni Razdan, Sadashiv Amrapurkar, Pankaj Kapoor, and Ajit Vacchani. It's well worth a watch if you can find it - don't think it's been released on DVD though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:07 pm 

By all means, Yaar! another film, with no songs, no dvd though, was Govind nehlani"s with Om puri!I dont know about the girl..Om's wife! DROHKAL? did I say it right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:10 pm 

This was Vidhu Vinod Chopra's first semi-successful flick (in urban centres only). When still at FTII his diploma film 'MURDER ON/AT MONKEY(ANTOP?) HILL' created a lot of waves. Apparently the Big B had seen it and was very keen to work with him. But we know how it is with him....rarely prone to taking risks...always with known campers....heck he even made 'MAIN AZAAD HOON' (remake of 'Meet John Doe') with Tinnu Anand who made a mess of it completely.

In any case not to digress, SAZAAYE MAUT was Chopra's first commercial venture also a thriller. He seemed to be sticking to that genre till he went ahead and made 1942 - A LOVE STORY.

Actually Chopra is very good with visuals, but his stories mostly leave with something wanting, except maybe PARINDA. Apparently the "Steven Kapoor" character in RANGEELA was directly based on his persona !!!!

Edited By Aarkayne on 1043439230

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:05 pm 

Aarkayne wrote:
This was Vidhu Vinod Chopra's first semi-successful flick (in urban centres only). When still at FTII his diploma film 'MURDER ON/AT MONKEY(ANTOP?) HILL' created a lot of waves. Apparently the Big B had seen it and was very keen to work with him. But we know how it is with him....rarely prone to taking risks...always with known campers....heck he even made 'MAIN AZAAD HOON' (remake of 'Meet John Doe') with Tinnu Anand who made a mess of it completely.

In any case not to digress, SAZAAYE MAUT was Chopra's first commercial venture also a thriller. He seemed to be sticking to that genre till he went ahead and made 1942 - A LOVE STORY.

Actually Chopra is very good with visuals, but his stories sometimes always leave with something wanting, except maybe PARINDA. Apparently the "Steven Kapoor" character in RANGEELA was directly based on his persona !!!!

On the contrary.. Steven Kapoor was Ramu's alter-ego, and he was trying to ape Steve Spielberg there.

As for Khamosh, I saw the film a couple of months back on VHS.. nearly 17 years after i first saw it ... It was indeed interesting to see Amol Palekar as a Villain after all those breezy comedies in which he essayed the main role.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:58 pm 

sknath wrote:
On the contrary.. Steven Kapoor was Ramu's alter-ego, and he was trying to ape Steve Spielberg there.

I disagree.....if you look at the getup this character has in the movie it is very very close to how Chopra turns out on in real life on his sets....and this is not based on some self created impression I have. In discussions with someone from the industry this topic came about and the points he made about the character seemed to ring similarly about some of Chopra's idiosyncrasies. But then since it is not from the horse's mouth (Verma's) one can never say till he reveals all, isnt it?

But it is an interesting take that it could have been Verma's alter-ego onscreen. Heck who knows he could have been laughing at himself and others who think that their 'true place is not Bollywood but Hollywood!' :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:20 pm 

Aarkayne wrote:
I disagree.....if you look at the getup this character has in the movie it is very very close to how Chopra turns out on in real life on his sets....and this is not based on some self created impression I have. In discussions with someone from the industry this topic came about and the points he made about the character seemed to ring similarly about some of Chopra's idiosyncrasies. But then since it is not from the horse's mouth (Verma's) one can never say till he reveals all, isnt it?

After parodying VVC and Karan Johar, I think it is time that Varma made fun of Sanjay Gupta. He should be shown on the set with a TV and a DVD player watching some American film and copying it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:52 pm 

He can create 2 characters....

Vikram Gupta and Sanjay Bhatt

Both trying to outdo each other, as to who can copy the best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:22 pm 

Aarkayne wrote:
....if you look at the getup this character has in the movie it is very very close to how Chopra turns out on in real life on his sets....and this is not based on some self created impression I have. In discussions with someone from the industry this topic came about and the points he made about the character seemed to ring similarly about some of Chopra's idiosyncrasies.

mujhe vee sirf chaar baal wala natural look chahiye. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:39 am 

Any word on "An Encounter with Faces"?

http://www.vinodchopra.com/road/faces.htm

Quote:
An Encounter with Faces was Vinod's first film for Doordarshan. It was virtually flooded with awards and recognition. It got nominated for Academy Awards, popularly known as Oscar Awards. It won the Golden Peacock at the International Film Festival of India, the Best Short Film and Jury Award at Oberhaussen, the Gold Medal at Leipzig and the Grand Prix at Finland. An Encounter with Faces seemed to be a prelude of things to come!
An Encounter with Faces was Vinod's first film for Doordarshan. It was virtually flooded with awards and recognition. It got nominated for Academy Awards, popularly known as Oscar Awards. It won the Golden Peacock at the International Film Festival of India, the Best Short Film and Jury Award at Oberhaussen, the Gold Medal at Leipzig and the Grand Prix at Finland. An Encounter with Faces seemed to be a prelude of things to come!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:20 pm 

its on dvd Khamosh (Eros)

lets hope its a good print

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:42 pm 

available @ IW $12.99

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:48 pm 

oh! shabana azmi, lets buy for 99 cents on next eros sale? ha ha!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:52 am 

Does anyone else who has seen the movie think the cover of the movie gives away the ending?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:42 pm 

Well, I finally GOT DVD! seems STD AR, picture seems OK from EROS std, film looks GOOD, no songs!!
We will be posting caps, shortly....stay tuned in..