All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:23 pm 

44.2GB
DD5.1, DD2Ch, DTS
Subs: Eng, Ara, Tam, Tel
1080p

{staff please migrate screens to the server - thanks - DONE!}

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:58 pm 

Thank you for the separate threads and screen shots.

The picture looks soft, with weird hues on my monitor, but might look better at normal seating distances on TV/Projector.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:29 pm 

Looks like SD, not HD.
Except for the last still which looks very good and proper. The other stills don't look authentic compared to the last.

Last edited by mhafner on Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:25 am 

mhafner wrote:
Looks like SD, not HD.

yup FB style upscaled! lol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:46 am 

But these stills suck it seems. Seems to be HD after all.
see http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p ... tcount=469

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:24 pm 

Where do you buy this???

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:34 pm 

I had to chance to watch this film on blu-ray. I was very disappointed in the quality. Understandably, this film is from old and damaged film stock - and that proper frame by frame restoration is something that cannot be financially justified since consumer demand for Indian films on DVD/BD is weak. However, companies can still provide good HD quality if the datacine transfer was done with correct HD settings (film grain, DOP approved color correction, HD black/white contrast levels etc...).

The problem of this title is simple - all the HD work was done on SD monitors - hence the issues with color saturation, weak blacks, and poor contrast levels. I read in another forum that the DOP supervised this transfer onto a D5 tape. His time was wasted as it was done on an SD monitor. If he supervised this on a calibrated HD monitor (with 2k/4k Grading) it would have looked stunning.

None of India's authoring studios have a calibrated HD monitor for Blu-ray HD workflow. During my trips to India I was shock to find studios like Adlabs, Prime Focus and Prasad not having correct HD facilities. 90% are still working on professional CRT/LCD monitors.

The BD disc of DDLJ also has minor pixilation problems during fast motion shots – due to poor encoding. No care was taken for this title.

While it’s a vast improvement over the DVD version – this title has yet to have a proper release.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:55 am 

Shahran Sunny Audit wrote:
The problem of this title is simple - all the HD work was done on SD monitors - hence the issues with color saturation, weak blacks, and poor contrast levels. I read in another forum that the DOP supervised this transfer onto a D5 tape. His time was wasted as it was done on an SD monitor. If he supervised this on a calibrated HD monitor (with 2k/4k Grading) it would have looked stunning.

SD or HD monitor should make no difference concerning correct color and contrast as long as the monitor is properly calibrated for gamma, black and white point and colors (Rec 709 for HD). The difference is resolution, so the SD monitor is not suitable for judging compression, quality, image detail and sharpness, aliasing or other digital artifacts (EE, DNR, telecine issues) beyond SD resolution.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:19 am 

mhafner wrote:

SD or HD monitor should make no difference concerning correct color and contrast as long as the monitor is properly calibrated for gamma, black and white point and colors (Rec 709 for HD). The difference is resolution, so the SD monitor is not suitable for judging compression, quality, image detail and sharpness, aliasing or other digital artifacts (EE, DNR, telecine issues) beyond SD resolution.

So you do agree - HD monitors are needed in some form or other.

In addition, colour correcting tests I've done (via 4K Sprit) shows it does make a difference on the types of monitor used, especially when it comes to negative transfers. Hopefully, when you'll see our forthcoming BD releases (made from negative) you'll know what I mean.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:02 am 

mhafner wrote:

So you do agree - HD monitors are needed in some form or other.
In addition, colour correcting tests I've done (via 4K Sprit) shows it does make a difference on the types of monitor used, especially when it comes to negative transfers. Hopefully, when you'll see our forthcoming BD releases (made from negative) you'll know what I mean.

Of course you need HD monitors. Actually even better use good 2K or 1080p projectors for judging HD detail and especially sharpening and noise filtering. Some things look good/acceptable on a monitor but fall apart when projected large.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:39 pm 

Is it worth buying on Blu-Ray?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:00 am 

shamrat wrote:
Is it worth buying on Blu-Ray?

If you liked the movie then definitely buy the bluray. You won't get anything better than this for a long time to come.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:15 am 

Desi wrote:
If you liked the movie then definitely buy the bluray. You won't get anything better than this for a long time to come.

I guess were all big fans of the film here. When I saw the very first shot, I was like 'huh?!' the rest look like a big
improvement from the DVD. Worth a buy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:43 pm 

sengh_15 wrote:
Desi wrote:

I guess were all big fans of the film here. When I saw the very first shot, I was like 'huh?!' the rest look like a big

See! every thing is relative from dvd to movies! When comparing with trashy abysmal quality films and dvds, these things look divine lol :lol: indeed!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:21 am 

sengh_15 wrote:
Desi wrote:

Have the titles always looked like this? Maybe they were made with bad quality CGI?