It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:04 pm 

DVD Shots:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:26 pm 

looks delicious

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:56 am 

100% progressive source, and BIG screws it up bigtime.

A B C D E

you have 5 frame sequence

and guess what?

B C D frames...all have ghosting/blending !!!

I wanted to shoot the person who effed this up...otherwise, good source.

Not to mention chroma bleeds, dupes, lousy 5.1...

What was nice that it included director's commentary.

Oh yeshhhh, before I forget...half of the movie is in one VTS series, and 2nd half in another...so yes, your screen DOES go blank for a bit while the next part is loaded...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:57 am 

Briliant movie though...

8 out of 10

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:34 am 

progressive but I do not like the hard, overtly edgy look of video, looking like a plastic/cellulite look! :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:14 pm 

This Big version is for the Indian market right? So I assume there is another version coming up, meant for US/European/Australian market? I hope that one is better.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:52 pm 

Anwar wrote:
This Big version is for the Indian market right? So I assume there is another version coming up, meant for US/European/Australian market? I hope that one is better.

I don't think so, the dvd has already been released in the UK (by Big). I live in the US, and got this version as well. Did adlabs stop making dvds?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:27 am 

is the DVD that bad as people are quoting ??? yes agreed its dvd is plauged with problems

shots from the Rock On Official Trailer:

Shot from the Movie DVD Release :

Shot from Official Movie Trailor:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:15 pm 

i have seen the movie in theatre. Shots posted by amp71691 are pretty much true to theatrical and IMO are very good!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:00 pm 

I have seen the movie in the theater too and personally I think the DVD looks like a pile of crap. The movie had looked & sounded excellent in the theater, a rare experience for an Indian film. But by the looks of these screen shots it seems that BIG has kept their tradition of absolutely crap DVDs alive with this great movie.

PS: Adlab Films, Adlabs Cinemas and Adlabs Home Video are now called BIG Films, BIG Home Video and BIG Cinemas. Apparently Anil Ambani wants to only use a single brand, BIG, for all his movie & music related businesses. Thus you also have BIG Music & BIG Flix (DVD rentals). I think Adlabs as a brand is being killed or being relegated to only it's original core business of film processing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:56 pm 

sanjay are you accessing the site on a laptop? (btw, i saw this in Gurgaon DT Cinemas, I think close to your home if I remember correctly?)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:09 am 

NewDeep wrote:
sanjay are you accessing the site on a laptop? (btw, i saw this in Gurgaon DT Cinemas, I think close to your home if I remember correctly?)

My monitor is a Dell Ultravision 24" LCD with 1920 x 1200 resolution. The monitor may not be the best there is, but it is certainly considered one of the better one's. As for DT Cinemas, the less said the better. They are definately one of the worst multiplex theaters. Their sound is always horrible and the picture too at times is below average for a good multiplex. I personally saw the film at PVR Cinemas in the Ambience Mall, Gurgaon. Normally I do not have a very high opinion of PVR or for that matter most multiplexes in India, but my experience with 'Rock On' was as good as it gets. The picture was outstanding and the sound too, specially with the excellent sound engineering in the film, was very good and for once I thoroughly enjoyed watching the film in a theater. Alas, just a week later I saw 'A Wednesday at the same PVR Cinemas, albeit a different screen, and my experience was totally the opposite. The picture quality was as if I were watching a poor quality Indian DVD, my comment to my wife was, this looks like a pirated print, if such a thing could exist. The sound quality too was only marginally better than the picture quality. Thus, even though the film itself was quite good, the overall experience, which I think is the norm for most multiplexes, was rather poor. While on the topic of multiplex cinemas and movie watching in the theaters, I'd like to add that my experience even in US theaters was not very good. This past summer I was in the US for a month and I watched five films in five different theaters in three different states and not a single one of the experiences was good. The surround sound was almost non-existant on all five occassions, this was specially dissapointing considering that four of these films were the big budget summer extravaganzas, such as, Incredible Hulk, Indiana Jones, Wall-E & Hancock.

PS: You are right about DT Cinemas being close to where i live. Actually there are two DT Cinemas in Gurgaon, both being about 10 - 15 minutes drive for me. AS a rule I never ever watch films at either of the DT Cinemas. PVR Cinema at Ambience Mall and at Sahar Mall are the only two multilexes I am willing to risk my film viewing at.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:28 am 

I don't know much about the theatres in India...are they technically THAT MUCH different all over? Just curious to know...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:00 pm 

I hate digital projections though it sucks, it takes away the look of FILM as film, makes it look like a well done video game instead. :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:34 pm 

FarooqBhai wrote:
I don't know much about the theatres in India...are they technically THAT MUCH different all over? Just curious to know...

As far as multiplexes are concerned, techonolgically they are all about the same. The difference lies in the quality of equipment used and more importantly in the lackadaisal attitude of some theater operators versus others. DT Cinemas for example are owned by DLF, which is the largest construction company in India. They think that making a nice looking theater is what counts rather than the picture & sound. More often than not movies in their theaters continue to run in the backup Dolby analog track rather than the optical Dolby Digital track. To sum it up, although theoritically they have all the technology, the sound is always atrocious in their theaters to the extent that even some of their speakers are clearly burnt out.