It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:53 pm 

Preity starrer Heaven On Earth to be screened at the Toronto Film Festival Click here to add this article to My Clips

By Subhash K. Jha, August 5, 2008 - 11:30 IST

Click above for more stills
Deepa Mehta's Heaven On Earth is to be screened at the Toronto Film Festival on 6th September at the prestigious Elgin theatre.

"It's the venue of all serious-minded films at the Toronto Film Festival meant for a discerning audience. Last year, the Coen Brothers' No Country For Old Men premiered there. This year I'm proud to have my film there in the 'Special Representation' section," says Deepa.

The film's leading lady Preity Zinta joins Deepa in Toronto for the Festival screening. "And that's when Preity will dub her portion of the film in Hindi", informs Deepa. The Punjabi film is now being dubbed into Hindi as a two-language film on the insistence of the film's Indian distributor Ravi Chopra. However, Deepa insists that the Hindi version will have a very restricted screening. "The language of the film is Punjabi," she insists.

And now begins the struggle to find the right voices to dub the Punjabi characters. "The entire cast barring Preity is from Toronto. They can only speak English and Punjabi." Deepa arrives at Mumbai next week to supervise the Hindi dubbing of Heaven On Earth. "Preity will have to do her portions in Toronto after her world tour with the Bachchans and also attend the Toronto Festival screening."