It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:35 pm 

Hi Folks,
is the Yash Raj DVD of Sangam any good?
Has somebody compared it to the shemaroo disk.
Wich is to prefer?
Thanx Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:37 pm 

S.K. Nath, plss, help here! he is the expert in shemroo, stuff, i dont think, any yrf, old classics are good, all shits!! :baaa: :bangbang: :angry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:50 pm 

Here is the link.

http://www.zulm.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.c ... f=1;t=2128

Rana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:24 pm 

Time to revive this thread.

I don't think we dscussed run time of Sangam in a thread or all comments summarized in one thread. In case someone finds another more appropriate thread, please point out and may be Ali can do the honour of merging this thread.

I started checking Shemaroo Sangam DVD vs Esquire VHS. I will indicate the run time differences bet the two. I don't have the YRF version, so may be if someone else who has that version can post YRF Sangam run time notes.

To start:
1) Shemaroo Sangam is 187 min long.
Esquie VHS notes (mine) indicated it as 221 - 223 min. And even this one is not un-cut.

So far just checked first 10 min or so.

2) Esquire VHS has complete starting titles and take up 3 min 10 sec.
Shemaroo DVD has only part of the titles that run for 1 min 0 sec only. Missing the titles you miss all the previews of European photography and music.

3) Esquire VHS has the full childhood sequence where they show Sunder and Gopal's play homes, Gopal mentions big house and car; Gopal & Sunder fight.
This sequence is missing in Shemaroo DVD. What they show is the scene after the fight. Sunder remarks, "if Gopal can give Radha a car ride, I will take Radha in Airplane". Without Gopal's car being mentioned, Airplane remark is meaningless.
Full sequence in Esq VHS is 4 min 5 sec and is 2 min 30 sec in Shemaroo DVD.

Rest later as I check it out.

Rana

P.S.
One thing that I already know is that Mukesh sung verse in "O mere Sanam" is missing in both the versions. This verse was in the theatrical release and depicts condition of Sunder's state of mind and views.

Edited By rana on 1042647938

Last edited by rana on Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:01 am 

:;): :;):

After the Rafi version of full song (4 min 20 sec):
My Esquire VHS has it for about 2 min 30 sec. Its not really a full song but words from letter, humming, duet etc. May be a line or two solo by VyjantiMala. Remainder is duet.

Shemaroo DVD has it just for 15 sec in the form of VyjantiMala reading the letter.

BTW, timer clock shows a diff of 16 min shorter for Shemaroo DVD upto this point where this sequence ends. Of this about 4 min is at start, 2 min here, remainder 10 min in the in bet portion.

Rana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:27 am 

I own the Shermaroo, it's cut :(

-Bh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 3:33 pm 

I did further comparison between the Shemaroo DVD and Esquire VHS for the next 20 min or so. In a run time of 32 min on VHS, only 23 min is covered in Shemaroo DVD. In my opinion, all these cuts are substantial and affect the film.
For example:
Sunder’s (child) utterance that if Gopal will take Radha for Car Ride, I will take her for Airplane Ride, makes no sense when Gopal’s boasting the Car has been cut in Shemaroo.
Similarly, Sunder’s excitement and spreading the news of Gopal coming back is missing in Shemaroo. Also missing is Sunder’s trouble with his bike on his way to Airport, Sunder’s visit and welcoming Gopal at Gopal’s home, and Radha’s conversation with her nanny about Gopal, before welcome party.

In my opinion all this is very relevant to the story and how it should unfold. Apart from these important sequences, Gopal’s stay in Europe is also missing and also one other, not so important, sequence has been cut short.

All this in a run time of 32 min on VHS and 23 min on Shemaroo DVD. Total run time on VHS is 223 min and 187 min on Shemaroo DVD. So a lot more cuts are there later.

Even the 223 min version on VHS is cut as the theatrical release was over 4 hrs.

Other known missing sequences are:
1) Mukesh sung verse in "O Mere Sanam" song. In Shemaroo DVD as well as in VHS.
2) Lata sung version of “Yeh Mera Prem Patr”. In VHS it’s only humming and one line duet (lasts 2 min though). In Shemaroo it’s missing (runs for 10 sec).

Although, Shemaroo print is extremely pleasing to the eyes (bit rate of over 7 mbps on the average; reaching a whopping 10 mbps at occasions), it’s cuts present you a totally different SANGAM.

Rana

P.S.
1) Could somebody please post a run time of YRF Sangam. I am DESPERATE now.
2) I am inclined to stop posting the run time differences as it’s obvious that Shemaroo version is a much shorter version. I will finish making these notes for myself and insert it in the DVD sleeve. If somebody is interested, I will e-mail you the differences that I discover or post it here if needed.

3) Shemaroo DVD and VHS, both run at same speed. So, no 4% speed difference between the DVD and VHS.

Edited By rana on 1042817743

Last edited by rana on Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:12 am 

rana wrote:
Total run time on VHS is 223 min and 187 min on Shemaroo DVD. So a lot more cuts are there later.

Even the 223 min version on VHS is cut as the theatrical release was over 4 hrs.

Other known missing sequences are:
1) Mukesh sung verse in "O Mere Sanam" song. In Shemaroo DVD as well as in VHS.
2) Lata sung version of “Yeh Mera Prem Patr”. In VHS it’s only humming and one line duet (lasts 2 min though). In Shemaroo it’s missing (runs for 10 sec).

Rana

P.S.
1) Could somebody please post a run time of YRF Sangam. I am DESPERATE now.
2) I am inclined to stop posting the run time differences as it’s obvious that Shemaroo version is a much shorter version. I will finish making these notes for myself and insert it in the DVD sleeve. If somebody is interested, I will e-mail you the differences that I discover or post it here if needed.

3) Shemaroo DVD and VHS, both run at same speed. So, no 4% speed difference between the DVD and VHS.

Edited By rana on 1042817743

So far no one posted the run time of YRF version of Sangam DVD.
As I indicated above my VHS is 223 min and even that is cut.

Now, am I lucky or what??

Ottawa screening of SANGAM this Sunday is listed at 238 min.

If it's true, here is our chance to see original length SANGAM. Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal.

http://www.cfi-icf.ca/india.html

232-6727

All screenings at
395, rue Wellington Street,
Auditorium, National Library and Archives of Canada

Sun./dim. July 18 juillet, 19:00
SANGAM
India 1964, 238 min.
Director: Raj Kapoor
SANGAM is a love triangle involving three childhood friends named Sunder, Gopal and Radha. Gopal and Radha have always been in love, but Sunder decides to ask Radha's father for her hand, but is turned down because he doesn't have a steady job. After this crushing rejection he joins the Indian army. When news of his death arrives, Gopal and Radha decide to marry. When Sunder unexpectedly turns up alive, things get very, very complicated. A classic of 1960s Indian cinema. English sub-titles.

Last edited by rana on Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:18 pm 

The Runnig Time of Yash Raj dvd of SANGAM is 213 min.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:32 pm 

Thanks Hardev.

Shemaroo Sangam DVD = 187 min

YRF Sangam DVD = 213 min

Esquire VHS = 223 min (There is no speed difference between VHS and Shemaroo DVD)

Canadian Film Institute/ HC India screening (July 18, 2004) listed to be = 238 min (I'll post actual film run time in this screening after watching its screening.

1964 original release was at least 238 min.
Does any one know actual run time where they had complete 'O Mere Sanam (including Mukesh verse; Sunte Hain Pyar Ki Duniya Mein---)', 'O Mehbooba', 'I love You' and Lata version of 'Yeh Mera Prem Patr Pad Kar' songs.

Last edited by rana on Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:42 am 

rana wrote:

Shemaroo Sangam DVD = 187 min

YRF Sangam DVD = 213 min

Esquire VHS = 223 min Shemaroo DVD and Esq VHS, both run at same speed. So, no speed difference between the DVD and VHS.

Canadian Film Institute/ HC India screening (July 18, 2004) listed to be = 238 min (I'll post actual film run time in this screening after watching its screening.

No Luck here.

I stayed untill the end of 'O Mere Sanam' song. cfi screening clocked at 166 min where as it's 195 min on my VHS. Looks like Shemaroo version.

It was a worn out and faded print. Still, watching a 35 mm screening is miles ahead of the best of the best present day DVDs.

Last edited by rana on Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:43 pm 

I send to e amill Shemaroo Regardig some of there dvd movies being haevilly edited. like SANGAM & AYEE MILN KI BELA .
here is ther reply

Dear Customer,
Thank you for writing to us.
The version of the film that you see on DVD, is the one given to us by the producers of the film. We have no say in the editing of the film that the producers do for home viewing (on VCD & DVD). So it is possible that some scenes may be edited as compared to what you see in the theaters.
We regret the inconvenience cause to you.
For further queries and suggestions please write to us at mailto:customerservice@shemaroo.com
Regards,
Shemaroo Online Customer Service
SHEMAROO VIDEO PVT. LTD.
Tel: 022 28529911. Fax: 022 28519770
E-Mail: mailto:customerservice@shemaroo.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:46 am 

I wonder, if any one ever asked RK Films (Randhir Kapoor) if they have any plans to piece all the left out clips together for their various films. Sangam and Mera Naam Joker mising segments are on many RK Film fan's finger tips.

I'm sure other RK films must have some portions missing too. I'm sure, completed and revived prints of these films will get a high profile re-relases and screenings.

In case, it's not their worth while to put in extra work and the end result finding its way on Home Video, Limited prints with strict control and guard can overcome Home Video risk.
It'll be great to have limited screenings with someone associated with the restoration being present in selected screenings for Q-A sessions.
I'm sure there is economic potential in it. They just need to harness it.

Any contact info for RK Films and if they reply to e-mails??

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:04 am 

It doesn't matter which version of Indian dvd you buy, they suck big time. The only company which makes Indian dvd are BEI. Other Indian dvd makers makes dvd which are worse than the Hollywood video tapes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:34 pm 

rana wrote:
I wonder, if any one ever asked RK Films (Randhir Kapoor) if they have any plans to piece all the left out clips together for their various films. Sangam and Mera Naam Joker mising segments are on many RK Film fan's finger tips.

I'm sure other RK films must have some portions missing too. I'm sure, completed and revived prints of these films will get a high profile re-relases and screenings.

In case, it's not their worth while to put in extra work and the end result finding its way on Home Video, Limited prints with strict control and guard can overcome Home Video risk.
It'll be great to have limited screenings with someone associated with the restoration being present in selected screenings for Q-A sessions.
I'm sure there is economic potential in it. They just need to harness it.

Any contact info for RK Films and if they reply to e-mails??

http://www.rajkapoorindia.com had some phone numbers and e-mails of RK films.....but that website is down now....

About parts being cut...one of the most interesting things is that the Shemroo DVD's of Mera Naam Joker and Sangam have lots of cuts....but the prints are better then the YRF DVD's ... which aren't that much edited.

I have the YRF version..213 min one....man, the film is actually 238 min.. ? :cry: well...its still better than watching the Shemroo version...thats only 187 min...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next