It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:25 am 

I had bought a copy of Abhay and it froze on the bit when Abhay and Manisha's character are jumping around on the bed after she offers him a pill. I was getting into the film just at that moment and was very annoyed when it forze as I couldn't access any scenes after. I had to return the DVD for a refund. I've heard that quite alot of copies of Abhay are faulty at the same point. I'm still waiting for a perfect Abhay DVD...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:38 am 

watch, tamil version

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:11 am 

Quote:
Any comments

:laugh: :P :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:20 pm 

It is well known, a few DEI/ BEI titles, at the time of DEI demise and BEI start up, were on faulty media. I, Arsh or DragunR2 never defended DEI for this defective media and equally criticize these freezing discs. We do like their progressive encodings though.

Abhay is not the only defective DVD. There are others too. Har Har Mahadev is another one and wait till I/ we start checking other DEI/BEI titles. We sure will find more.

Someone posted (perhaps sknath) that when BEI was contacted, they were willing to exchange the discs. Will they exchange DEI brand discs, I have no idea. I personally don't think, it's worth it. For the cost of shipping, one can pick up a new one anyway. Moreover, what's the likelyhood that the replacement disc will be on a better media??

Rana

Post subject: My apology
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:32 pm 

monizam, u misunderstood, i was not defending DEI/BEI for their shortcomings!

But, i was suggesting alternative in ur situation, as u really seemed desperate to watch that film..

If u insist on watching DEI Abhay on fixed media? then I dont have any alternative with me, you should contact DEI/BEI, they might have a new batch!

I apologize again, but imho, i was misunderstood!

Post subject: Re ABHAY
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:25 pm 

It is same film, just different language with sub titles!

Well, watch with ur friend then!
called ALAVANDHAN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:45 pm 

A long time ago I wanted to rent Aalavandhaan (Tamil version of Abhay) but it was either a popular title or someone didn't return it after a long time, so I rented DEI Abhay and it froze up on me too, I think when Sharmilee and Abhay were in the hotel room. So I was in the same boat as you, though I did get to finish the movie by skipping a chapter.

Nobody here has ever defended their using faulty media for some batches.

For this particular film, if you want to finish it, you should rent the Tamil version. It's the same exact movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:27 pm 

If u complain, abt Khushi, etc, I'll tell u the same!!

I dont want to defend my self man!!

Curse BEI for ABHAY!! as much as u can!! hands off!!

Whenever u try to help, thats what u get..many thnx, for ur kind/thoughtful comments!

Good luck! :!:

If that is wat u wana do!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:37 pm 

Nobody brought up those films, but since you mention it, Alai Payuthey was better than Saathiya. Better DVD too. I didn't see Kushi or Khushi. The suggestion to rent the Tamil version of Abhay is just if you want to finish the film.

The DVD is bad, no doubt, but DEI isn't using silver media these days. When was the Abhay DVD released, 2002? Attacking them for something they don't do anymore is pointless. If you want to criticize them on their current issues, fine, but if we're going to fault them for something they have stopped doing with the past few BEI titles, we might as well praise Eros for using DEI in 1998. :?

Post subject: tamil/hindi
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:03 pm 

My point, was, as abhay was shot, with same cast etc, and is practicaly, same film..while, khushi, tere naam and saathiya, nayak, were remade! with different cast/directors!while dilse/now yuva, same director, diferent cast!

I would say, same for bombay/hindustani/, if someone has prob..with those dvds, unfortunately, they r all bei/dei/eros dvds!

Last edited by Zoran009 on Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: tamil/hindi
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:16 pm 

arsh wrote:
My point, was, as abhay was shot, with same cast etc, and is practicaly, same film..while, khushi, tere naam and saathiya were remade! with different cast/directors!

I would say, same for bombay/hindustani/dil se, if someone has prob..with those dvds, unfortunately, they r all bei/dei/eros dvds!

Didn't you mean to say, Fortunately, they r bei/dei-eros dvds! :)

Rana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:51 pm 

monizam wrote:
Just got anothe email from my friend.Said he will watch this movie on a VHS -no more DEI for him--

Any bets.

I say, the VHS he rents will be a copy of DEI DVD. :)

Rana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:56 pm 

monizam wrote:

DEI's ethics has been questionable and no one is using them to author dvds anymore..

DEI's ethics of Film to NTSC Progressive encoding for a "Film DVD" is no cheating. Ethics are questionable for a Film to PAL to NTSC Field Averaged "Video DVD". Keep in mind difference between Film DVD and Video DVD.

Rana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:09 pm 

monizam wrote:
Subject: abhay
I say, the VHS he rents will be a copy of DEI DVD.

A no brainer! It will be the Tamil version, like I said earlier using DEI source will be half of the movie, you're losing it Rana

Sure I lost this bet. Did not consider that you/ him might be understanding Tamil language.

Rana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:34 pm 

monizam wrote:
why dont you look up "ethics"in the dictionary.Ethics got nothing to do with the choice of encoding interlaced or progressive dvd. Thats aa choice authors have and in no way unethical.

How is using masters that could be 5 or even 10 years old to make a DVD ethical? DVD is capable of certain standards and most of these companies are not even trying to meet them. I didn't buy a DVD player so I could get VHS and VCD transfers with chapter stops and menus.

Quote:
Both methods are legal.For you to suggest that its unethical for interlacedis purely horseshit

People have certain expectations of DVD format, and when people start buying these DVDs expecting better quality than VHS and they get the same quality, that is completely unethical. Who ever claimed it was illegal? Something can be unethical and legal at the same time.

Quote:
as a matter of fact 99% of the people dont give a shit whether its progressive or interlaced..

People have no standards, and look at the quality of Indian DVDs today. It boggles my mind that people are actually willing to fork over their money for utter crap DVDs. The quality of the experience is just as important as being able to finish the movie, and I will not buy a DVD that doesn't deliver on both terms.