It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:35 pm 

Hello,

The English version of Guide had the same cast as the Hindi version. According to an interview with Dev Anand that I saw a number of years ago (probably the same interview that Rana saw!) he decided to change the ending of the film (made it more spiritual) and tone down the extra-marital affair for the Indian audience as he felt that they would not accept the story as it is in the book by R.K. Narayan.

The English version had no songs - but it definitely starred Waheeda Rehman - and her English speaking skills were great. I would dearly love to see the whole English language version of this film. I hope that it is screened somewhere soon.

On a side note: Channel 4 recently showed the English version of the 1941 classic 'Raj Nartaki (The Court Dancer)' starring Prithviraj Kapoor and Sadhana Bose. Those guys really spoke English well - it was interesting to watch - although I found it difficult to stomach some of the dialogues in English as they would have sounded much better in Hindi/Urdu.

Thanks,

Muz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:13 pm 

I noticed something interesting about the Shemaroo and possibly the EROS version of Guide.

The censor card reads 'Guide (Widescreen)'. I was thinking that maybe the version on the DVD was cropped ... but this is not the case - the image is not a pan and scan from a widescreen version.

Taking another look at the image and especially the opening credits it is possible to crop the top and bottom of the image (i.e. put the TV into zoom mode) and the beginning credits fit in to the frame perfectly. Also just looking through the film the framing in zoom mode is quite pleasing to the eye. I wonder if Guide was projected in this format and not in the full frame ratio? Does anyone have any info on this?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:18 am 

rana wrote:
I tried to find info about the English version of Guide, in the old forum.

http://www.zulm.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=607

Q:
Is Dev Annand's GUIDE based on the novel "The Guide" by R. K. Narayan, who passed away in the last couple of days or so.

Has any one seen GUIDE english (foreign) version??

I remember Dev's interview where he said that the foreign version was made first and is totally different from the hindi version. He had said, "for the Indian version the story and the script of the english version was thrown away and re-written to suit the Indian viewers".

Rana

15th May 2001 09:29

Muz

Guide is based on the book 'The Guide' (published by Penguin). However if you read the book you will see that the Hindi version of the film differs tremendously from the book! I have only seen a clip from the English language version - and have been trying to find a copy of this for a while but have had no luck yet.

Edited By rana on 1038855782

This will be of interest to you Rana Saab! :lol:

Dev Anand may release the English version of
Dipankar De Sarkar [Monday, October 15, 2007]
Email a FriendEmail this article.

+Enlarge Pic

London, Oct 15 (IANS) The only known surviving print of the rarely-seen English version of the Bollywood movie "Guide" is in the possession of Dev Anand - and he may just agree to release it one day for public viewing, the evergreen superstar disclosed.

"Guide", based on a novel by R.K. Narayan was made in two versions in 1965 - the Hindi one was directed by Dev Anand's brother Vijay Anand and the Hollywood one by Tad Danielewski. American novelist Pearl S. Buck, a Nobel laureate, co-produced the English movie with Dev Anand and wrote its script.

The English version had an alternative title, "Survival". The idea was to introduce Dev Anand to English-speaking audiences.

Although the Hindi version, co-starring Waheeda Rehman, is considered a Bollywood landmark, the English one has rarely been publicly seen in India, having been withdrawn hastily after its US release spawned indifferent reviews.

However, Dev Anand, in London for the launch of his autobiography "Romancing with Life" told IANS Sunday that he had what is possibly the only surviving print of the film.

"Pearl S. Buck is dead, and the American laboratory which had a print closed down long ago. But I have one print with me," Dev Anand told IANS after launching his book in the presence of a number of dignitaries at the Nehru Centre in London Sunday evening.

Will he consider releasing the English version for public viewing? "Let me see, let me see," Dev Anand, 84, said with his trademark mischievous smile, his eyes twinkling.

The English version was actually the first one that was shot, and it is faithful to the adult theme of the book, which deals with adultery.

After it flopped at the US box-office, Dev Anand decided to remake it in Hindi but watered down the adult content of the original novel. Vijay Anand was so shocked to read the original script, he is said to have twice turned down the offer to direct it before finally relenting.

Dev Anand, who has acted in 125 films and directed 36, has spoken elsewhere of the challenge of making a movie on adultery in 1960s India.

"We wrote a new screenplay retaining the basic theme, but deviating somewhat from R.K. Narayan's novel. The then Information and Broadcasting minister Satyanarayan Sinha panicked, saying people are complaining to the ministry about the adultery angle. 'Didn't your government give the novel a Sahitya Akademi award from the hands of Pandit Nehru?' I asked him. That settled it," Anand has said.

Narayan himself was reported to be more enthusiastic about the English version than the Hindi one, which he dubbed the "misguided Guide".

In a previous interview, Dev Anand had said: "After a pre-release screening of the English 'Guide', Narayan wrote me an effusive letter from America saying it's simply beautiful. But after the movie was panned by American critics and failed at the box-office, he began denouncing it publicly. I didn't bother to get his response to the Hindi 'Guide' because it wasn't really his story anyway."

Whatever the facts of the case, the English "Guide" has remained for decades an object of intense curiosity among Indian cinema lovers, being the first major attempt by Bollywood to reach out to Western audiences.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:55 pm 

Are both Eros and Shemaroo with same runtime?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:06 pm 

1975 CC indicated film length is 4890.21 meters or 178 min.

Both Shemaroo and EROS Guide DVDs are from the same 1975 CC film. Both are PAL to NTSC converted and are 171 min which accounts for the 4% speed shift of PAL telecine from 178 min film length.

imdb.com and wikipedia both give the run time as 183 min (perhaps for orig 1965 release). As far as I remember, it was 4 shows daily in 1965 release and hence couldn't have been much longer than 3 hrs as they also had to show a Govt supplied mandatory 15-25 min documentary, in those days.

BTW, even though from same source and both being field averaged, it's much easier to read film length from Shemaroo CC (it's very clear) as opposed to EROS.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:52 am 

rana wrote:
Any info about GUIDE English version. It was totally different from Indian version. Any info on it's VHS or DVD??

Rana

Clips from Guide in English

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TWhcbrZ6sM&feature=user

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:05 pm 

Muz wrote:
rana wrote:
Any info about GUIDE English version. It was totally different from Indian version. Any info on it's VHS or DVD??

Rana

Clips from Guide in English

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TWhcbrZ6sM&feature=user

Guide needs a remastered criterion Br dubbed in ENGLISH too!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:29 pm 

Interview with Dev Anand...

Quote:
What motivated you to make R. K. Narayan's novel The Guide into a legendary movie?
As a film maker, it is my job to be searching for good stories. After reading the marvellous creation of R. K. Narayan, I called the great writer from California in 1965 and R. K. Narayan told me over the phone from Mysore that he was thrilled to receive a phone call from me and at once, told me “I will give you the rights to make the novel Guide into a movie!” Later on I flew from Bombay and R. K. Narayan had arrived in Bangalore from Mysore. After a discussion at the same Hotel Westend, I formally got the rights to make the movie!

Guide was initially made in English and later in Hindi, why?
In 1965, the theme of adultery by an Indian woman was viewed as “too bold” for the Indian audience! Hence “Guide” was initially made in English, produced by me and Pearl S. Buck (author and Nobel laureate, USA), who also wrote its script. The Director of the English version of the movie was Tad Danielewski. The English version was released only in USA. After viewing the English Guide, R. K. Narayan congratulated me when he called me from New York. But when I made the Hindi version of Guide by toning down the adultery component, R. K. Narayan was not too happy with the modifications. But ultimately it was the Hindi version which won the people’s hearts and the rest is history!

We, of course, did not shoot the movie in the villages near Mysore since R. K. Narayan had told me that the villages depicted by him were fictitious. We shot the movie in Udaipur and Rajasthan locations.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:19 am 

I certainly agree with Eros this time. Otherwise, it sucks! You must compare the Shemaroo version of Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam with it's Eros version.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:24 am 

Raghuvir wrote:
I certainly agree with Eros this time. Otherwise, it sucks! You must compare the Shemaroo version of Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam with it's Eros version.
shemaroo HDDCS is cropped and non-anamorphic. The DEI-EROS version is anamorphic and uncropped but its aspect ratio is wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:36 pm 

newDEEP wrote:
Raghuvir wrote:
shemaroo HDDCS is cropped and non-anamorphic. The DEI-EROS version is anamorphic and uncropped but its aspect ratio is wrong.

I'm not talking about the DEI/Eros version. I'm talking about an Eros version which was released in India in 2010. It lacks sharpness and has dull colours. It has bad audio as well. The original 5.1 audio has been converted to mono and has been panned to 5.1 channels. It is cropped, they have fast-forwarded the movie 1.04 times to shorten it from 3:08:06 to 2:59:56.
CRAPPY!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:41 pm 

ok
Raghuvir wrote:
(eros HDDCS) they have fast-forwarded the movie 1.04 times to shorten it from 3:08:06 to 2:59:56.
CRAPPY!!

that's pal speedup, sometimes retained in pal-to-ntsc transfers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:46 pm 

newDEEP wrote:
ok
Raghuvir wrote:
(eros HDDCS) they have fast-forwarded the movie 1.04 times to shorten it from 3:08:06 to 2:59:56.
CRAPPY!!

that's pal speedup, sometimes retained in pal-to-ntsc transfers.

Eros HDDCS is probably the WORSE DVD version of the movie, ever...

Why do they do the pal speedup thing?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:51 pm 

(Delete this post, please)

Last edited by Ragz on Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:53 pm 

Raghuvir wrote:
Why do they do the pal speedup thing?

Visit viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10382
and also
http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/articles/P ... peedUp.asp