It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 9:27 pm 

Keeping my fingers crossed rana ji!! but still it will be better than SHITTY YRF/VS/EROS classics!!

EVP/SHEMROO rules!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:41 pm 
Site Admin

Got these 4 titles;

Ajnabee
Anurodh
Aradhana
Abhimaan

... all these are pretty decent quality - worst looking is Aradhana - screens here. Rest are better quality, alas all in video mode - screen shots from these I'll post soon on this thread.

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

Screen shots of EVP Anurodh, Abhimaan and Ajnabee in that order;

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:54 pm 

ali wrote:
ganti wrote:
A progressive image does not increase color or contrast but it definitely improve the sharpness because of the original film frames.

:baaa: I second that! I've seen enough of properly encoded progressive DVDs to tell the difference - to the point of not needing the force weave mode to detect if the DVD is progressive or not - you can just tell by playing it and 'feeling' the look of the video. Properly encoded progressive DVDs just have that distinct extra sharper look that you don’t get on interlace DVDs; interlace video always feels that much softer.

Ali :baaa:

I agree with your views about extra sharpness in direct Film to Prog DVD transfers.

What is your opinion about EVP DVDs that were Prog in the original releases and are turning out to be interlaced in the later versions? Are interlaced batches somewhat less sharp than their previous Prog batches??

Abhimaan, Aradhana, Dharamveer Kati Patang are known to have EVP Prog, as well as, interlaced EVP DVDs. Most likely, both versions basically have same encoding and bit rates. One definite difference is absence of Prog flags.

Rana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:30 pm 

Rana,
I assure you that a progressive transferred image always looks sharper than any other kind whether they simply missed flags or improperly encoded. Any DVD player with pixel by pixel comparison capability will make the improperly flagged DVD look better but can't make as good as the first kind. The image still looks less sharp on mid and long rage shots. At least these are true on my system.

I want to hear from Michel whether these second category look as good as the first category. Some of his reviews about the improperly flagged DVD's (power DVD failed to recognize) are indeed in film mode when played with his DVD player. I have a feeling that they are not as good as the first category.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:40 pm 

I had Deewana Mastana by SD/VS , interlaced and Prog version, both, there was a thread with screen shots!! imho, interlaced version had a very good picture too at high bit rate, but prog gave more accuracy to picture, marginally, a bit more gloss, luster, sharpness, but not day and night difference..take a look at DM screen caps..ganti/rana ji!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:38 pm 

Arsh,
Imagine if the VS version with high bit rate also flagged as progressive then it could very well be the best Indian DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:04 pm 

yes!! DM by SD is HIGH BIT rate, PROG flagged!!I do have that, will reconfirm, bit rate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:13 pm 

DM, by SD, Prog flagged, 9MBPS..bit rate, wow!!192KBPS, 2 channel DD sound..so what else u need!!
Should be one of the BEST DVD around..aside AR prob, non anamorphic???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:17 pm 

Arsh,
Could you please upload one or two full size screen caps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:24 pm 

Rana,
I found this intersting discussion about the video mode with subtitles of Gold Member DVD from AVSForum. Check this out.
Quote:

kalAVS Special MemberRegistered: Jul 2000Location: Ottawa, CanadaPosts: 1608
Yep - it's a strange one... had all sorts of problems with this menus on this disk in my HTPC (TheaterTek 1.2 player). First problem disc in a long time. Plays through just fine, just had problems accessing some of the menu features. Also noticed that one of the middle chapters (the one with all the English subtitles when they're speaking Japanese) is encoded in VIDEO mode, not FILM MODE. Idiots! I hate when they do this! This has become such an issue on many discs that http://www.hometheaterhifi.com has started to comment on this problem on all their new reviews.

SSpears--From (http://www.hometheaterhifi.com)

This tends to happen when the subtitles where done by someone else. And I mean subtitles that are burned into the movie not the ones that can be turned on/off. What happens is another party does the subtitle work and it just stomps on the flags.

They probably have to do these hard coded subtitles in various languages for multiple countries. I suppose they could have used auto subtitles like ST EP1, but then some players have navigator bugs (Toshiba) that prevent that from working.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb....=197163

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 8:16 pm 

arsh wrote:
DM, by SD, Prog flagged, 9MBPS..bit rate, wow!!192KBPS, 2 channel DD sound..so what else u need!!
Should be one of the BEST DVD around..aside AR prob, non anamorphic???

Didn't see these posts till now.

Great news about DM, Arsh. Must hunt for this version.

Ganti, thanks for the AVS Forum link.
Glad to see that AVS forum has taken up this improperly codded DVD issue.

Rana

Post subject: Re: Abhimaan re-release?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:02 am 

Are the above shots (i.e., Anurodh, Abhimaan and Ajnabee) from a progressive DVD?

They look terrific!!

Post subject: Re: Abhimaan re-release?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:49 am 

Has anyone seen the Shemaroo DVD release of Abhimaan?

https://www.induna.com/1000001766-productdetails/

I have the EVP version, wondering whether it would be worth investing in this as well.