It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 8:05 pm 

the story sounds interesting.....since it will never get a theatrical release in the town I am in (doubt it even got an overseas release), would be looking forward to its DVD release....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 9:20 pm 

I hope/Wish, Cinabella! will AUTHOR this dvd!!! ;) :baaa: :vsneaky:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 11:36 am 
Site Admin

Only a preview of Chhal on Screen, did the film get released today?

http://www.screenindia.com/20020809/fpre.html

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 1:48 pm 

A GOOD review!!!of CHHAL!

This web of lies is worth a watch
Hansal Mehta's Chhal puts a human face to the mafia

Chhal is a fast-paced film which does not lose sight of its main story. The story is written by former Rediff.com staffer Suparn Verma, who also has a bit role in the film. The film is well narrated. It starts off with the present situation, goes into flashback and then cuts back to time present.

Viju Sha's background score is good. The film comes alive with its suspense and intense moments with the music.

Hansal Mehta's previous venture, Dil Pe Mat Le Yaar (Tabu, Manoj Bajpai) bombed at the box-office. Both his films deal with a young man trapped in a world of gangsters.

Chhal, with a relatively new cast and small budget, is more realistic, as he gives the gangsters a more human look.

http://www.rediff.com/entertai/2002/aug/09chhal.htm :baaa: ;) :cool:

Edited By arsh on Aug. 10 2002 at 09:50

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 5:16 pm 

WEG does the DVD for Chhal along with Soch which looks like a straigh to DVD release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 1:50 pm 
Site Admin

Out now on DVD @ IW & IP, by WEG as MalFUnXiON said.

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:04 pm 

Here is the cover:

$14.99 @ IW

Edited By urbanlegend on Aug. 14 2002 at 16:04

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 10:58 am 

Another Good Review..courtesy Screen.

Chhal
Lies, deceit and duty

Cast & Credits
Producer: Nitin Patil
Director: Hansal Mehta
Music: Viju Sha
Cast: Kay Kay, Prashant Narayanan and Jaya Seal
Inspector Karan Menon (Kay Kay) is asked by his superiors to infiltrate the underworld. Initially, the aim is to obtain informaton about different gangs and take them out from within. He gets his lucky break when he saves Padmini (Jaya Seal), the sister of the mafia’s enfant terrible, Girish (Prashant Narayanan). He soon becomes Girish’s bosom pal and and easily passes on information to his superiors, which leads to several arrests and shootouts.

However, with the passage of time, he discovers a genuine feeling of friendship for Girish and worse, falls in love with Padmini. Also, he too has executed several people alongside Girish and his conscience begins to play up. The fact that he is being double-crossed by a politico-mafia nexus is the last straw.

A morally stricken Karan wants the deception to end, but the way out isn’t easy. How he finds a way out of this web of deceit forms the crux of the story.

Prashant has essayed his role of Girish with a manic intensity while Jaya Seal is competent in her limited role of his sister. Kay Kay is a revealation. He shines in both action as well as emotional scenes. His eyes echo the inner turmoil of a man caught between conflicting emotions, between demands set by friendship and duty.

Hansal Mehta has come a long way from his Dil Pe Mat Le Yaar days. The stark, sparsely lit scenes mirror the hollow life led by the denizens of the underworld. At the same time, he has aptly portrayed their human side by showcasing the strong bond that exists betwen Girish and his sister. The cabaret song and the too long ending were unneccessary, but all-in-all, Chhal doesn’t fall short on promise.

:baaa: :xmas: :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 11:56 am 

MalFUnXiON wrote:
WEG does the DVD for Chhal along with Soch which looks like a straigh to DVD release.

There goes a good movie :angry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:31 pm 

dam...this movie looks tight....i love gangster movies....so far Satya was one of my favorite...i dont think any indian movie in the past was that violent as Satya....what a good story and the music was awsome....sandeep chawtas "mood of satya" thats what i am talkin about.....cant wait to watch this one....one of the guy looks like manoj vajpaee....:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 1:32 pm 

another dvd down the tubes.rented one last night-storeowner said this is an original-believed him (should'nt have).picture quality sucks, audio(don't even ask). Dialogue coming from the rear channels, background music coming from the front LCR channels-totally disoriented sound. If KNPH is your reference disc for best PQ & S, then you can buy this for worst picture quality & sound.Somebody please give me hope.
" yeh gaddho se bhagwan bachaye" :ffs:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 11:16 am 

Got the disc this morning.. its nuthing spectacular.. but its not the worse..

the disc is non anarmophic cropped from its original size.. disc is only in 2ch and is not 5.1, so i guess Jas youve got a ditto copy of the movie if you can hear the dialogues in your surrounds...!! I will be watching this movie today cos it looks pretty good.... Enjoy the screen shots

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 11:17 am 

Some more screen shots :

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

8.5/10 from Planet Bollywood;

"Hansal Mehta’s previous film, “Dil Pe Mat Le Yaar,” starring Manoj Bajpai and Tabu bombed at the box-office despite being, in my opinion at least, a very intelligent and entertaining film. “Chhal” has far more “masala” making it commercially viable. It is indeed a pity that this film seems to be drowning because of the hype of an unoriginal, star-studded piece of junk called “Mujhse Dosti Karoge!” which happened to release on the same day. Here’s hoping (perhaps wishful thinking) that common sense prevails, and this low-budget film is given a chance."

http://planetbollywood.com/Film/Chhal/

..pity about the crap DVD :angry:

Ali :baaa:

Edited By ali on 1029774279

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 4:37 pm 

I saw the DVD last night aswell, and I must say that the movie is VERY VERY GOOD!! It's very much in the league of Company, Satya and Dil Pe Mat Le Yaar.

The premise is nothing really spectacular, but some of the themes (about the cop going REALLY DEEP undercover and actually becoming a gangster) haven't been explored in commercial Bollywood before. Some action scenes (especially the finale) are well-staged and worthy of a HK or US production. the acting by the two leads are very good, especially from the actor who played the gangster girish. The direction is top-notch and is shot in a Company or Fight Club-style (lots of jump cuts, flashes, still images, weird camera angles).

I must say that Hansal Mehta is quickly becoming a top quality director and I can't wait to see his next film (a romantic comedy based on American Pie) next. He could become the next Ram Gopal Verma.