It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:05 am 

It's ridiculous to translate poetry from one language into another. You can not get the same effect.

Same is true with Titles of feature films (or Names) as well.

And yet, IMDB has been Englishizing names of Hindi Films and hence it becomes very difficult to search a title. When over 90% of the audience knows a film name by one name, why should IMDB translate the name in English which does no good to even those 10% who will look for a name, that the film is known by, and come up empty.

I've come across this nonsense lots of times and today, it was ridiculous. Search for Rajni Kanth's most famous Hindi Film, which also is his debut Hindi film, ANDHA KANOON. You find nothing in search results from IMDB. Because, it's listed as BLIND LAW. Picture shows Andha Kanoon but tge title is BLIND LAW.

Ridiculous.

Glad that at least tey have not been translating Actor Names and Character names yet.
Pyare Lal - Lovely Red
Bhagwan - God
Kanyakumari - Daugher Virgin

Anyone, with IMDB account ???

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:49 am 

I've submitted the change request for Andhaa Kaanoon - both this and Blind Law were tagged as the IMDB display title, rather than alternative title. Let me know of the other ones you see and I'll submit the requests when I get a chance!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:39 pm 

bhaskar wrote:
I've submitted the change request for Andhaa Kaanoon - both this and Blind Law were tagged as the IMDB display title, rather than alternative title. Let me know of the other ones you see and I'll submit the requests when I get a chance!

Thanks Bhaskar.

Actually, there are hundreds (may be thosands) of such Bollywood films. Difficult to keep track of. It should be the policy change.

For Example (Some Famous Films):
When Love Calls
Blood And Sweat
Foreigner
Who Am I to You
Government 1
Government 2
Government 3
Three
Her & Him
The Lord Of Ghosts
Return Of The Lord Of Ghosts
The Revolution Has Begun
Speak Bachchan
Reservation
Your Father is Probably An Old Man
Three Cards
Battle
Father
Fire
Keep Dancing
Less Sugar
Speechless
The Royal Guard
A Father's Affection for His Daughter
Getting Scared Is Necessary
A Man Apart
Whatever the Heart Says
Family Comes First
Riddle
The Married Woman
Te Race Against Time
O Countrymen, We Entrust This Nation in You
Who Are You?
Look What's Happened Now
Let's Bring Our Heroes Home
Aim
The Justice
Seed
The Uniform
Trust
Dudes in the 10th Century
Gardener
My Friend from Mumbai Has Arrived
Desire
Happiness
Thorns
The Fire and the Rain
We Are Not Less Than Anyone
Eyes
Reflection
Bond Of Love
Uproar
Swear on India
Lineage of the Sun God
Red King
Indian Hero
Big Mr. and Little Mr. (LOL You all know which film is this)
Army Major
Angel of Death

Copying from
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000821/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
I Kind Of Give Up for now
-
-
-
-

Funny thing is, the picture associated with these pages has the original Bollywood Names (writing in a photo is not searchable).

I did not write the Bollywood names to show, how ridiculous and laughable these Englishized titles are. Moreover, this may prompt others to name more such names.

Also to note is that these Englishized names were not originally in there but some stupid user has been changing them. Anyone by registering, can make alterations. Even if we succeed in correcting some names, no guarantee that these names will not change again.
There needs to be a policy change, in IMDB, and there should be some approval process.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 6:36 pm 

The odd thing is that I'm having to submit the changes for approval, so there is an approval process in place. Not sure if IMDB is moving towards English translations for all films now (I certainly hope not!)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:55 pm 

Hindi films' names translated in English keeps going on on IMDB. Very frustrating. I wish there was an equivalent Indian website with all this info.
IMDB as it's now and being altered continuously (perhaps Chinese ??) is of no use to us who are used to original Indian film names.

It was very frustrating when I tried to find info about Vinod Mehra's JURMANA. Initially found no results, searching film name, actor names etc. Name had been changed (I even thought of checking FINE, but didn't; could not think of to PENALTY at the moment).

Finally found the name changed to PENALTY.

Once I accessed PENALTY, next time I searched for JURMANA, search results had learnt & gave PENALTY as the first result with small letters saying Orig title JURMANA.

Funny & absurd thing is that other JRMANA titles had not changed to PENALTY. Why some names translated and some not ??