It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:42 pm 

The should release a full 255min BLURAY of this masterpiece

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:52 pm 

yash Raj and Shemaroo did the regular dvds for RK Films. Neither did a good job on Mera Naam Joker. I am pretty sure there is an uncut version of the original film somewhere.
Maybe a restored version can hit the movie theatres and will make lots of money.Will be well worth the effort.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:05 pm 

Quote:
http://dearcinema.com/news/reliance-med ... films/4626
Reliance Mediaworks to remake Raj Kapoor films
By NewsDesk | Tuesday, February 8th, 2011

Reliance Mediaworks in partnership with Russian World Studios is expected to remake the films of legendary director and actor Raj Kapoor. Both the studios are investing huge amounts of money in the project, as reported in ScreenDaily.

The association between the two studios came about during the India visit of Russian president Dmitri Medvedev in December last year. It is expected to facilitate the outsourcing of work related to Film Restoration, Image Processing and Enhancement and HD Conversion from Russia to Reliance MediaWorks.

Remake of Raj Kapoor’s works, which were largely popular in Russia is the first project the two companies are undertaking in collaboration. Russian World Studios is one of the largest film and television production companies in Russia.

I wonder if it's remaking or restoring ??

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:45 pm 

Muz wrote:
I found out that there were two (or three) songs recorded by the singer Sharda for Mera Naam Joker that were dropped from the soundtrack. I managed to find a clip of one on-line:

http://www.mp3.com/media_player/viewer. ... d=&ont_id=

Not sure why they were dropped - according to Sharda's website (titliudi.com) she also does not know why they were dropped.

Found Complete song at Youtube (Sharda:Alibaba, Mukesh-Sharda-Simmi: Gaao Gaao, and one more mentioned)
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... ished&aq=f
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9pGJr_85k8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKf-bKWzWoE

Youtube Alibaba song is perhaps still trial versions. Close to the MP-3 version. Obviously, Youtube version doesn't have the same Hi-Fi as MP-3.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:37 am 

rana wrote:
Muz wrote:
I found out that there were two (or three) songs recorded by the singer Sharda for Mera Naam Joker that were dropped from the soundtrack. I managed to find a clip of one on-line:

http://www.mp3.com/media_player/viewer. ... d=&ont_id=

Not sure why they were dropped - according to Sharda's website (titliudi.com) she also does not know why they were dropped.

Found Complete song at Youtube (Sharda:Alibaba, Mukesh-Sharda-Simmi: Gaao Gaao, and one more mentioned)
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... ished&aq=f
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9pGJr_85k8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKf-bKWzWoE

Youtube Alibaba song is perhaps still trial versions. Close to the MP-3 version. Obviously, Youtube version doesn't have the same Hi-Fi as MP-3.

Amazing Rana

Gosh, i must applaud your effort. hearing the ful Alibaba song gave me goosebumps, and the best thing is, you could hear how the songs sounded similar to the rest of the MNJ soundtrack. It would be a crime if someone doesnt have the COMPLETE version of the film somehwere!
Can you imagine if that made it to blu ray (4 hour+) movie.
I have said it before and i will say it again, Fellow Zulmi's, you guys are AWESOME, the amount of knowledge shared in this one thread alone is mind boggling!!
keep it up :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:06 pm 

As we know IIFA is paying tribute to Raj Kapoor and showing Raj Kapoor Films in June-Aug 2011.

Well, the IIFA show was held on June 25, Kapoor brothers were there.

I had been trying to find out about Raj Kapoor Films screening times and venue and have had no success last few weeks. Even now, it's by luck that I found the info. When people don't know about the show times or the venue, who will see the films ?? May be it's only for the members ??

Anyway, Films are not screened by the IIFA, but by TIFF, under Raj Kapoor & The Golden Age of Indian Cinema series and includes non RK films like Mother India and Madhumati.

http://www.tiff.net/filmsandschedules/t ... 270054032/

The website is not user friendly. It doesn't give you the schedule. Instead, you need to search for film under alphabetical listings on 7-8 web pages and then find it's screening time.

As far as Sangam is concerned, it's listed at 238 min (doesn't mention it as new print although it says so for Mera Naam Joker). Now we know that 1974 version was shorter than 238 min. It'll be interesting to see if it really is 238 min screening ?? Recall, I was in a similar screening a few Yrs back that was listed at 238 min but ended up as faded shorter 1974 version.
It'll be great if it is 238 min or even if one of the Kapoor brothers is present at the screening so that we can get clarification and possibility of restoring the original cut.

-------------------------------
The same applies for Mera Naam Joker that's listed at 224 min but says "New Film Print", nearly 4 hours. We know, the orig version was 4 hrs 15 min.

-------------------------------

From memory, Sangam is screening July 3, MNJ on July 29.

--------------------------------

Lets see what we get at TIFF

-----------------------------------

Posting the same in SANGAM thread and in MERA NAAM JOKER thread.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:55 pm 

It was just the 3 hour version of Mera Naam Joker at TIFF. The same that has been in circulation lately. No restoration.

Still, waiting for Russian-Reliance effort of restoration work.

Here is some more tid bit that's interesting and also could be useful in locating the missing footage:

(Out of 255 min orig film run time, it's 245 min 22 sec worth of film time that I have video of, bits here and bits there, see p4).
YRF DVD is 233 min of film time (224 min video).

Excerpts from March 1993 issue of Indian magazine "Movie", by Sheila Vesuna, Article: Raj Kapoor: His Top Ten
Quote:
Mera Naam Joker:

The climax has Raju, who has a smile on his face and a tear in his eye, doing the last comic show, attended by all his ex-loves. The heart-broken Raju dies, in front of their very eyes, after declaring 'The Show Must Go On'.

Radhu Karmakar comment in the same article: The reports of the film were excellent and we wondered what went wrong. There were rumors of sabotage and that a section of the industry had played dirty by grabbing tickets in bulk and selling them at a tenth of its price. But do you know that a distributor in South America called Fernandes took it and distributed it in South America and became a multimillionaire.

My comments:

1) The article says, "Raju dies in the end". Perhaps this was the original script ??

2) I wonder, Mera Naam Joker that's considered a Hit now, became hit as more people saw it or did it become a hit as it got trimmed ?? I personally don't think trimming it made it more likable ?? It does alter the story though. Trimming also leaves some gaps in the story. Even if Theatrical version is left at 3 hours, the remainder portions should be in the DVD in the main feature or in Extras ??

3) IMDB states Mera Naam Joker released as JOKER in 1972 (2 yrs after Indian/ Russian release) in Peru. If someone can get hold of that print, some or all of the missing footage could be found in that print. If someone can locate Russian released prints, that too can provide us with the missing footage. The missing from YRF DVD, Phhoka Pahelvaan episode (and other circus rehearsal/ happenings) from part 2 and beginning credits showing Russian May 1 parade & Marina receiving the invitation will definitely be in the Russian version.

4) As Randhir Kapoor said, "Mera Naam Joker is now the most successful film out of RK Films", what about continuing the saga, as Raj Kapoor envisioned. After seeing Shah Rukh Khan acting like Raj Kapoor in a Filmfare Awards show, I'm certain SRK can make it happen and will be perfect in the role of Joker ?? It does not have to be same Raju. It could be Raju's child or just a fan who considers Raju as his idol ??

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:28 pm 

Muz wrote:
I did not know about the promotion documentary ... that was totally new info to me!

I am sure that my Dad has recorded the Simi documentary on RK. I will ask my nephew in the UK to look through my Dad's video collection - if he has it I can ask him to copy it to DVD and send it to me. It will take some time as my Dad had some 400 video cassettes ... !

Promotional Documentary: Naval Star Show: I posted youtube links some time ago.

Simmi Documentary:
Muz, is this the one and is it complete ??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZNoy_U1 ... re=related

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:02 am 

Yes!!! That is the one! I know that I have it on tape somewhere and I am slowly getting tapes sent over to me so will look out for it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:01 am 

rana wrote:
.. I'm certain SRK can make it happen and will be perfect in the role of Joker ?? It does not have to be same Raju. It could be Raju's child or just a fan who considers Raju as his idol ??

No, please no more SRK remakes!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:42 am 

rana wrote:
It was just the 3 hour version of Mera Naam Joker at TIFF. The same that has been in circulation lately. No restoration.

Still, waiting for Russian-Reliance effort of restoration work.

Here is some more tid bit that's interesting and also could be useful in locating the missing footage:

(Out of 255 min orig film run time, it's 245 min 22 sec worth of film time that I have video of, bits here and bits there, see p4).
YRF DVD is 233 min of film time (224 min video).

Excerpts from March 1993 issue of Indian magazine "Movie", by Sheila Vesuna, Article: Raj Kapoor: His Top Ten
Quote:
Mera Naam Joker:

The climax has Raju, who has a smile on his face and a tear in his eye, doing the last comic show, attended by all his ex-loves. The heart-broken Raju dies, in front of their very eyes, after declaring 'The Show Must Go On'.

Radhu Karmakar comment in the same article: The reports of the film were excellent and we wondered what went wrong. There were rumors of sabotage and that a section of the industry had played dirty by grabbing tickets in bulk and selling them at a tenth of its price. But do you know that a distributor in South America called Fernandes took it and distributed it in South America and became a multimillionaire.

My comments:

1) The article says, "Raju dies in the end". Perhaps this was the original script ??

2) I wonder, Mera Naam Joker that's considered a Hit now, became hit as more people saw it or did it become a hit as it got trimmed ?? I personally don't think trimming it made it more likable ?? It does alter the story though. Trimming also leaves some gaps in the story. Even if Theatrical version is left at 3 hours, the remainder portions should be in the DVD in the main feature or in Extras ??

3) IMDB states Mera Naam Joker released as JOKER in 1972 (2 yrs after Indian/ Russian release) in Peru. If someone can get hold of that print, some or all of the missing footage could be found in that print. If someone can locate Russian released prints, that too can provide us with the missing footage. The missing from YRF DVD, Phhoka Pahelvaan episode (and other circus rehearsal/ happenings) from part 2 and beginning credits showing Russian May 1 parade & Marina receiving the invitation will definitely be in the Russian version.

4) As Randhir Kapoor said, "Mera Naam Joker is now the most successful film out of RK Films", what about continuing the saga, as Raj Kapoor envisioned. After seeing Shah Rukh Khan acting like Raj Kapoor in a Filmfare Awards show, I'm certain SRK can make it happen and will be perfect in the role of Joker ?? It does not have to be same Raju. It could be Raju's child or just a fan who considers Raju as his idol ??

This is my first post to zulm.net.
I spent the last night watching MNJ, the shemaroo version.
Disappointing i must say. I wish I had the YSR version.
Although i am not a fan of Raj kapoor, your work on this DVD
made me more than impressed. Mr. Rana has done wonderful hard work.

I some experience of browsing thru russian stuff, so I managed to find the
russian edition of the DVD. I do not know if it has the full version because
at one description it mentions the words "First full version of the film"

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... 2F&act=url

but later it says film length 180 minute, india

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... tq9cKuiTCQ

i do not have any clue what the actual truth is.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:23 am 

Mr. Rana, I really appreciate your efforts behind excavating those valuable scenes Shame - Aroo shamelessly butchered off.

Calculating from the CC provided in the thread, the length comes out to be 4 hr 15 min 47 sec.

I really hope the whole film is restored and released on Blu Ray with NO CUTS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:15 pm 

Ragz wrote:
Mr. Rana, I really appreciate your efforts behind excavating those valuable scenes Shame - Aroo shamelessly butchered off.

Calculating from the CC provided in the thread, the length comes out to be 4 hr 15 min 47 sec.

1) LOL. I did not excavate anything. Jointly, it's all avail in thousands of VHS tapes and millions of YRF DVDs. I just compared the two versions, trying to find scenes missing in one and avail in other. (Most difficult to find was, difference in title song that I could not find the reason for run-time differences as all the lyrics were in full, in both versions; finally I noticed, verses were rendered twice with different visuals). Also , the tune flows better in full version and seems rushed off in shorter version.

2) Shemaroo is not to blame in this case. As per Shemaroo e-mail reply, Shemaroo produced what MNJ distributors provided. As per Raj Kapoor, the cut off portions of films are discarded to scrap dealers and are lost for ever. They can not afford space to store all the film material. Delered portions can only be found in old video material. (Recall, BEI Junglee has one 5-10 min segment sourced from video while the rest of it is from film print)

3) We all know, MNJ was a big flop when released but it became a big hit with re-release. It's any body's guess if reduced run time is the reason for it's success in the re-releases ?? Anyway, in the theatre you need the film at fast pace, to reduce boredom, but for home viewing it can be as long as possible because you have remote scan button in your hand in case you don't want to see certain portions. If the film grows on you, you can go back and watch the missed portions. In the case of MNJ, you sure will.

4) I don't have professional equipment, but One Day, I do intend to join segments from different sources to make an over 4 hrs film time video compilation, using DVD recorder and using analog Audio- Video feeds.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:55 pm 

As per National Film Archieves website, their MNJ archived print is 250 min.
It's a 1980 re-certification.

http://www.nfaipune.gov.in/asp_files/se ... p?srno=389

---------------------------
Surprise: Sangam is not in the archives.

----------------------------
Jis Desh Mein Ganga Behti Hai:
http://www.nfaipune.gov.in/asp_files/se ... p?srno=437

Last edited by rana on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:19 pm 

So is this print expected to have a new DVD or Blu-Ray release?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next