It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 8:45 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:21 pm 

Recently, I received a private message from Ali asking that I revise my posts to remove profanities. Rather than do so immediately, I thought I'd like to start this thread, in the hopes of seeing what other "zulmies" think about the matter of language (including profanity) in this forum.

Do you feel comfortable seeing swearing in people's posts? Do you take umbrage? Do you use curses in your own posts? Many fora block "bad words" to various degrees (some, only "f***," "c***": the "biggies"; others, everything from "ass" onward), often so not to lose site "sponsors." The more popular ones (such as IMDb) most certainly do this.

So, are you in favor of such restrictions' being effected on Zulm.net? Even "self-censorship": are you in favor of it? Just wondering how other members of this site feel. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:31 pm 

Profanity should be allowed, only to a certain degree ofcourse. As well as to use to them in playful manner and avoid it for the means of indulging personal furious anger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:29 am 

Quote:
I received a private message from Ali asking that I revise my posts to remove profanities

Why does it become debatable? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:23 am 

It's not meant to be "debated," but to be discussed. I was a bit surprised by the request, as I'd always taken Zulm.net to be an Internet forum where use of language is not an issue. The P.M. mentioned that some members of the site find profanity offensive, and I wished to gauge the validity of this claim. I don't mean to pick a fight with Ali, but to bring up his point with the remaining members of this community.

Personally, I feel that profanity should be allowed on the forum. I agree that it'll be bad for everyone if members make post after post of,

"fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck
fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck
,"

but I don't see this happening. Cursing in the company of expressing a thought, I feel, is fine. Cursing out a member of the forum or vandalizing threads by bombarding them with swears, are, of course, indefensible acts. Attacking others and vandalizing the site, however, are things that can be achieved just as effectively without "foul language" as they can be with it. When I write a review or respond to an article I've found on-line, I often throw in profanities to deliver my point; doing so helps my ideas come out as I want them to. Also, as DVD Collector said, cursing one another out playfully is just a fun luxury — :D . I'm not a fan of censorship, and I'm not a supporter of "right-minded prudishness," but I can try to respect others' feeling uncomfortable with certain language. That last bit, too, is partly why I've raised the issue here: to see how others who frequent these boards feel.

Would anyone else care to weigh in on the matter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:39 am 
Site Admin

I only complain when others complain to me :lol: But this time I got it wrong as the person complaining I realised was some loser former member here, less said about them the better :P

I think I myself have used bad language on these forums many times in the past, but I stopped because I didn't think that kind of language was warranted on a public forum where anyone could be reading. It came across as juvenile and they are much better ways to express your self than to lowering yourself to that tone and language.

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:41 pm 

ali wrote:
I only complain when others complain to me :lol: But this time I got it wrong as the person complaining I realised was some loser former member here, less said about them the better :P

I think I myself have used bad language on these forums many times in the past, but I stopped because I didn't think that kind of language was warranted on a public forum where anyone could be reading. It came across as juvenile and they are much better ways to express your self than to lowering yourself to that tone and language.

Ali

I agree!!no one should resist decency! imho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:50 pm 

Quote:
"fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck
fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck,"

:rofl: I guess that was just for the heck it! But again why discuss it. Either you do or you don't and let the chip fall where it may! I myself have let loose a few choice words here and there, but I seriously doubt it had it's intended effect. Some people here do deserve a good cussing out sometimes, but to use cussing in expressing or driving home a point, well now.......... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:02 pm 

Bond... James Bond, discuss it for the sake of discussing it, and nothing else -- :lol: .

I think posts can come off as aggressive or juvenile as easily without profanity as they can with. Nonetheless, I guess I can try to make a greater effort to "keep it clean," though I'll say it now, I make no promises: If I'm writing something up, and a swear feels natural, I'm going to put it it. I just hope no one takes irrevocable offense at seeing a four-letter word here and there -- :D .

Ali, I understand. Again, just to be straight, I had no problem with your message. It just sparked the idea in me to start up a small, open conversation about the matter of language in this place. One thing: I've read before that these boards can be accessed only by members; then, I've always been able to get in from any place, without logging in. ...What's the deal, man? :?:

By the way, was it "Rita"? :lol: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:51 pm 

Quote:
Bond... James Bond, discuss it for the sake of discussing it, and nothing else -- .

What the heck or should I say F**K, cuss away to your heart's content and be done with it! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:19 am 

My 2 cents worth:

There are plenty of icons to show different moods, anger, happy, mad etc.

Then, what's the need for profanities or name calling of any kind ??

Keep it civilized, otherwise we cut off one half the population (female) from visiting zulm.net and a major fraction of the 2nd half as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:46 am 

rana wrote:
My 2 cents worth:

There are plenty of icons to show different moods, anger, happy, mad etc.

Then, what's the need for profanities or name calling of any kind ??

Keep it civilized, otherwise we cut off one half the population (female) from visiting zulm.net and a major fraction of the 2nd half as well.

Mood icons, I'd say, aren't subsitutes for words. Saying, "I think Bhagam Bhag started out funny" is different from, "Bhagam Bhag's beginning= :lol: ." Again, though, I don't support "cursing members out."

Also, I think it's grossly sexist to assume that women are turned off by cursing immediately, while at least a "minor fraction" of men can tolerate it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:47 am 

(Posted twice by accident.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:52 pm 
I understand rana’s point of view, when you go down the path in a decent manner, you can expect better dividends. Also newspapers and the popular sites like nowrunning, planetbollywood etc. usually keep their sites free of profanity even taking minors in consideration. In the end, cussing might be a turn off to readers while no profanity in content pleases majority of public readers and will gain a better response of returning patrons.