It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:06 pm 

Hello,
sometimes I see same DVD but with different marks like DEI, B4U Eros Dei, Eros B4U.
What is it means? And what actually difference is?

Another question, I found DVD of Shemaroo, Gold and Yash Raj - where's better quality?

And last question: maybe there's some guide about all studios with description of quality etc.? I couldn't find.
The one I found out is MoserBaer has not good video quality :)

Thanks, friends :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:16 am 

DEI, I think stands for Digital Entertainment Inc.
As Hindi films started appearing on DVD format, DEI was one of the main company producing Bollywood DVDs in co-operation with EROS. Later on, EROS and DEI split and DEI started obtaining DVD rights independently and also kept on selling previous DEI-EROS DVDs. Perhaps, EROS was able to shut DEI, DEI re-invented themselves as BEI (Bollywood Entertainment Inc).

DEI/ BEI/ DEI-EROS DVDs wrre mostly Progressive encodings. After DEI-EROS split, EROS got the DVDs remastered by B4U that had poor encoding. (Interlaced DVDs as opposed to Progressive).

Another Hindi DVD company was Video Sound - Super Digital co-operation. These too ended co-operation similar to DEI-EROS but their split was not that bitter.
YRF too had co-operation with Super Digital and later they too split.

A few years Shemaroo started marketing DVDs and a few Yrs later, Moserbaer. Moserbaer basically, acquired DVD rights from lots of smaller DVD companies and they sold their DVDs at cheap price.

Audio-Video quality in general was as following (out of the companies mentioned above):

From Best to Worst:
some DEI, BEI, YRF
some SD-VS
some DEI, BEI
DEI-EROS
some SD-VS
some YRF
some Shemaroo
some EROS
some Shemaroo
some Moserbaer
some EROS, EROS-B4U
some Moserbaer

All these DVDs, legit or copies, had DVD-rot problem at one time or another.

------------------------------------
Moserbaer: This seems to be a wholesale company. When the original right holder has done with the title, Moserbaer seems to pick it up for cheap. A case in example:
A few PEN DVDs came out with very good prints. When I went to buy, I found many of those DVDs were available under PEN-Moserbaer brand, not the original PEN brand. I found one title both in PEN, as well as, in PEN-Moserbaer. I bought both to check out if different. Solo PEN DVD was much better and Moserbaer-PEN was not as good. PEN was clear Pseudo-Progressive and Moserbaer was Field Averaged Interlaced. Colors were equally good in both. It seems that Moserbaer did not get the original code from PEN and they authored their DVD from audio-video sourced from original PEN DVD or from master tape.