It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Making a songs DVD
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:56 pm 

Hi All

I wanted to try my hand at DVD editing. What I would like to do is to create some songs DVDs. I was hoping to extract songs from some DVDs - re-encode to improve quality - add user generated titles and sub-titles.

I know it's a big project but if anyone has any hints and tips as to how to go about extracting, re-encoding (make the sequence progressive etc) and add titles and subtitles (user generated are fine) then please let me know. I will start on some DVDs that I got mastered myself from Digibeta masters so don't have to worry about copy protection as I have the originals. I would like to add subtitles to these though.

I don't mind buying software to do this. I'm getting sick and tired of swapping discs just to watch a couple of songs and would like to improve quality where I can.

Thanks for any help!

Post subject: Re: Making a songs DVD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:47 pm 

I too would love to learn how to do that.

Can anyone chime in with some tips?
:)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:02 pm 

This is a nice idea, I have quite a few old B/W movies on dvd and would like to compile the songs too, It is very difficult to get song dvds that I like because makes fron their collection.. Eros-Shemaroo etc..
I would like to have Suraya songs on one dvd and I do have dvds with labels like Shemaroo, Friends and Time

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:48 am 

We can also overlap the song videos with the Classics' Revival version. That is the re-mastered version of the original songs on Stereo.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:29 pm 

I did make a songs DVD 7-8 years back........nothing as sophisticated as what you mention, literally just ripped songs from DVDs and authored a new DVD with them on it - no menus or anything. I think I used Nero then, but really don't remember!!!

Raghuvir - is it possible to do what you say about using the CD tracks? - at times you can tell that the song in the film is noticeably faster than on the CD - possibly due to the NTSC speed up? But I'm not technical enough to know that though!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:57 am 

bhaskar wrote:

Raghuvir - is it possible to do what you say about using the CD tracks? - at times you can tell that the song in the film is noticeably faster than on the CD - possibly due to the NTSC speed up? But I'm not technical enough to know that though!

You mean to say PAL speed up or "Film to PAL to NTSC" speed up ??

Film to PAL : 4% speed up (does not have to be but it's standard practice). 24 film frames per sec transferred to 25 video frames for 50 Hz electricity.

Film to NTSC: No speed up. (may be 0.05 % or may be not even that using Time Base Correction ??) 24 film frames into 60 video fields for 60 Hz electricity and/ or 59.97 NTSC scan rate. Every 4th frame is repeated.

Film to NTSC to PAL: No Speed up

Film to PAL to NTSC: Normally 4% speed up. Can be avoided but rarely done.

PAL to NTSC or NTSC to PAL: No speed up.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Making a Songs DVD: Someone told me, some 5-10 Yrs back, that he has done it using DVD-Shrink where it's possible to start and stop ripping points in "Re-author" mode. I never tried it but did notice Re-author option. I don't have DVD-Shrink on my PC now, but other recent programs a lot more versatile.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:29 pm 

bhaskar wrote:
Is it possible to do what you say about using the CD tracks? - at times you can tell that the song in the film is noticeably faster than on the CD - possibly due to the NTSC speed up? But I'm not technical enough to know that though!

I believe we can. I've never experimented. But I hope we can have some video editing software by which we can slow down the song video as per required and then overlap them with the CD track.

Not really sure if it is possible. Perhaps rana can tell us.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:08 pm 

Raghuvir wrote:
bhaskar wrote:
Is it possible to do what you say about using the CD tracks? - at times you can tell that the song in the film is noticeably faster than on the CD - possibly due to the NTSC speed up? But I'm not technical enough to know that though!

I believe we can. I've never experimented. But I hope we can have some video editing software by which we can slow down the song video as per required and then overlap them with the CD track.

Not really sure if it is possible. Perhaps rana can tell us.

I'm not sure ??
- There is a common term in video, TBC (Time Base Correction) but that is for correcting 59.97 frame rate vs 60 Hz issues.

- In the days when VHS-Hi Fi came around, I tried dubbing audio from CDs but was frustrated because of the speed difference. Back then (1980s) I used to wonder why speed diff (for the video-audio I tried) is some 4-5% instead of 15-16% (50 Hz vs 60 Hz). Recall, cheapest CD players were around $ 400 in those days. But, I remember seeing a few CD players that had speed control of up to +/- 6%. Never got to buy any variable speed CD player, as they were even more expensive.

- There must be some software that will repeat or remove a video field in set intervals ?? For example, repeating/ deleting a field every 25 fields will give you 4% speed difference or one field every 33 will give speed change of 3% and so on. If such a software/ hardware exists, I don't know.

- My old VCR can vary video speed (without noise bars) but the minimum variation is a factor of 2 (up/ down) with dynamic head alignment.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:27 pm 

Google Search result shows how to make a DVD from selected videos:

"how to rip video segments from dvd start point end point"

it seems to be easy enough, using free software available on line.

(Somehow, copy paste Google search results link takes to the Google home button only. So, couldn't paste the search results link, but you can search and many results will appear.)

One of the links from search results is:
http://www.xilisoft.com/video-cutter/tutorial.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:46 pm 

rana wrote:
Google Search result shows how to make a DVD from selected videos:

"how to rip video segments from dvd start point end point"

it seems to be easy enough, using free software available on line.

(Somehow, copy paste Google search results link takes to the Google home button only. So, couldn't paste the search results link, but you can search and many results will appear.)

One of the links from search results is:
http://www.xilisoft.com/video-cutter/tutorial.html

Thanks for the link.
Will try it out.

Last edited by Ragz on Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:47 pm 

This is a really old thread ... and my how times have changed. Now I would probably just rip the movie DVD to my computer, chop out the songs, correct the frame-rate and store it on a hard disc drive to watch on my TV via USB (or stream wireless using a media server)

You can correct frame rate using some software - there are lots of options out there at the moment. I haven't done much in the way of making songs collections from movies as I don't seem to have the time ... but maybe if I have some vacation time and no other things to do I will try it and post detailed instructions.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:56 am 

I've had great luck using AppGeeker DVD Ripper for audio files. I don't know if it will do what you want though. I think they have a free trial and, the App itself wasn't very expensive. Give it a shot.

http://www.appgeeker.com/convert/rip-dvd-to-mp3-mac.html

It rips DVD's to whatever type of file you want. then you can some of audio/video editor like VirtualDub, Avidemux, both of them are free and open source.

http://www.virtualdub.org

http://avidemux.sourceforge.net

Best regards

Roberts.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:25 pm 

Some Shemaroo movies are pseudo progressive, but the songs from the same movies in somg compilation DVDs are field averaged.
Examples : Their actual mea DVD is pseudo Prog. but the songs in compilation DVDs are field averaged.
If that is possible, isn't making field avgd videos pseudo prog possible??

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:37 pm 

Raghuvir wrote:
Some Shemaroo movies are pseudo progressive, but the songs from the same movies in somg compilation DVDs are field averaged.
Examples : Their actual mea DVD is pseudo Prog. but the songs in compilation DVDs are field averaged.
If that is possible, isn't making field avgd videos pseudo prog possible??

LOL!
No mystery here.

Shemaroo does not stay with same encoding. There are lots of Shemaroo DVDs that were Pseudo Prog in the earlier releases and now are Field Averaged in newer batches. Mughl-e-Azam is one of those films. Moreover, it has many versions for B/W version (I'm not sure about colored version).

(Satyam Shivam Sundaram and Ram Teri Ganga Mailee had pseudo-prog DVDs in first Shemaroo release and I've encountered field averaged Shemaroo current batches; There are others too)

Obviously Shemaroo has setups for NTSC as well as PAL mastering. It's a toss, whether a transfer ends up at NTSC machine or at PAL machine. If master is in PAL, no big deal, they just make a NTSC DVD out of it (mostly field averaged). Anytime a Film to PAL transfer is done, it has gone thru 4% speed up (standard practice).

Prog/ Pseudo-Prog: one video frame contains picture from one film frame only.
Field Averaged: One video frame contains picture from 1 to 3 film frames (mostly 2 film frames).

Can you extract original frames from field averaged frame: Just the same as a camera shot with long exposure will give a fuzzy picture for a moving object, it's the same for field averaged picture.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:00 am 

So how will I come to know whether the DVD I see in the market is the pseudo progressive version of that movie? Can I depend upon the Replicator??

Last edited by Ragz on Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.