It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:58 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:36 pm 

After excellent effort by computer personnel coloring Mughl-e-Azam and then ruined in transferring to film and in exhibiting on screen (Squished picture, cut off from top and bottom), here comes another coloration release, NAYA DAUR (June 2007).

http://www.indiafm.com/features/2007/04 ... index.html
Quote:
"The colouring of Mughal-E-Azam has helped me notice the mistakes they made. The film looked like it was painted. I didn't want Naya Daur to look like that" - Ravi Chopra

Let's hope they don't make same mistakes again. Specially in screening results.

Quote:
NAYA DAUR starring Dilip Kumar, Vyjayantimala, Ajit, Jeevan and Johny Walker. B R Films will now be releasing Naya Daur in colour format with 5.1 stereophonic sound.

Quote:
Q: Will the sound quality of the film also be improved?
Ravi Chopra: Yes. It's 5.1 stereophonic sound.

What is 5.1 stereophonic sound ??
Doesn't stereo mean just 2 Ch ??

Last edited by rana on Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:25 pm 

rana wrote:
Doesn't stereo mean just 2 Ch ??

Yes it does. It is another example of the kind of idiots that run the Indian film industry. Only Bollywood is capable of taking a classic such as Mughal-E-Azam and destroying it artistically for the sake of filling up the wider screens of today's theaters. Who wants to bet that Naya Daur also gets the same cropping treatment for it's theaterical re-release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:58 pm 

Hum Dono:

Quote:
Quote:
http://www.indiafm.com/features/2007/06 ... index.html

After Mughal-e-Azam and Naya Daur, now Dev Anand has started work on colouring Hum Dono which he claims will be the best coloured film.

Sure. Hear this:

this movie had to be converted into cinemascope to be screened. So we are converting the film into cinemascope using an inhouse built technology of a company based outside India.

You would be surprised to see the film on a wide screen.

No doubt about it. Not only surprised but shocked to see 40 to 50% of picture (top and bottom) cut or picture stretched horizontally making all characters doubly fat. How else will they convert a 4:3 frame into a widescreen ??
:evil:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:06 pm 

The music of BR Film's Naya Daur was relaunched on July 9

Quote:
The music of BR Film's Naya Daur was launched on July 9, at Mumbai's JW Marriott in suburban Juhu. Actually, it was a relaunch. The film originally released on August 15, 1957, and was a big hit at the time. The black and white film is now being re-released in colour on August 3.

Asha Bhosle, who claimed that she got her first big break with this film, released the music.

BR Chopra -- the founder of BR Films -- arrived in a wheelchair, and was accompanied by his son Ravi Chopra (director of such films like Baghban and Babul). Naya Daur's leading actor Dilip Kumar arrived with his elegant wife Saira Banu.

BR Chopra's younger brother Yash Chopra [Images] made a quiet entry later.

In 1956, BR Films and Sa Re Ga Ma came together for the music of this film. Fifty one years later, the association has survived.

Interestingly, it was Ravi Chopra who decided that Naya Daur should be re-released in colour with dolby digital sound.

Ravi Chopra said he learnt everything from his dad, uncle and the other stars on stage, adding that this film was a tribute to them.

Dilip Kumar began his speech by admitting that he had forgotten his lines. He could not believe that 50 years had gone by. "Watching the film now was an elevating experience. It was unbelievable and funny. All our ages have gone up," he said.

"I want to sit in a corner and watch it," he said as the assembled crowd applauded. "This is an unique experience to re-release my own film 50 years later. My heart is full of emotion. BR and Yash are sitting here. You are my elder," the thespian added, addressing at BR Chopra. "I am holding your hand. We owe everything to this hand."

Turning to Asha, the actor said, "God keep your voice fragrant always. It is like time has stopped. Her voice remains the same. Watch the film. If it affects you, bless the people on this stage."

Asha Bhosle spoke next. "Today, I am going back 50 years. My sister Lata Mangeshkar [Images] was shining. I was a new girl. It was my first big break. People recognised me after this film. I got a break because of BR Chopra. Those days producers were big. Everyone listened to them. Today, everyone is boss. BR gave me a chance and I became a success. He took me in all his films including Waqt," she said.

"I am in between two periods. Dilip is elder to me. Ravi wasn't even born then. Today, I can stand and talk in front of Dilip Kumar. Those days I used to see him only from a distance and get excited, 'Oh! Dilip Kumar has come'. He was a great dancer and also used to make others dance!" she exclaimed.

"I am in this age today but I belong to that age," the singer added. Letting us in on a secret, she said, "Yash did not want me to sing. But he had to listen to his elder brother. In our society, we have to listen to our elders. Big brother (BR) liked younger sister (Asha) and the younger brother (Yash) liked the elder sister (Lata)," she revealed. "The money came to our house. What does it matter whether they paid the elder or the younger sister?" she continued.

"When Ravi phoned me and said he wanted me to release the music of Naya Daur, I was skeptical. I thought they must have done a re-mix. If it was a re-mix, I would not have come to release it today. I am glad that they retained the original music," she said. "It was a hit the first time it released. It will be a hit again."

Yash Chopra took over the mike. He recalled the time when the film was first made and he was just a second assistant. Terming it as a gift from Ravi to the public, Chopra said the film would remain a classic forever.

He reminisced about the film saying that it was the first movie to be entirely shot outdoors. "About 400 people travelled with the unit. There were no hotels in those days and in Bhopal, they had to stay in a rundown veterinary hospital. We used to take cooks with us. Cooking for 400 people was a huge task," he said.

"Dilip Kumar used to cook chicken without anyone knowing. We used to eat it secretly. In 1956, Dilip looked on me as a younger brother. That has not changed yet," he continued.

Daisy Irani, the child artiste in this film, agreed about the chicken. "I knew they used to cook chicken and eat it secretly. I remember the badminton games where they never allowed me to play. It brings back a lot of memories," she said, as tears rolled down her face. "It was my privilege to work with so many legends and I can still recall the dialogues. This film taught me a lot. I am proud to be on stage with these legends of cinema," she concluded.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:07 am 

The still looks good - and you know after all of the poor movies that are coming out now maybe it's a worthwile exercise in doing this. At least it means that we get to see a decent film in the cinema!

In doing this colourisation a new negative is made and that there is some print restoration done. If you watch the making of the colourised MEA at least they fixed the print before colourising. That means that somewhere there is a great quality B/W print that may (just may) see the light of day.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:02 am 

I had been thinking of reporting on the TV promo of Hum Dono that I saw 2-3 weeks back. Good that Muz reminded me by posting.

The TV clip was "Abhi Na Jaao Chhod Kar" song. It's the worst thing I ever saw.

Coloring: Beautiful Sadhna looks like rag picker. Shades in B/W images make it look as if Sadhna had been rolling in Ganda Nallah and dirt.

Lip Synch: Big time problem. No co-relation whatsoever between what's singing and the lips.

AR: Widescreen. Picture cut from top and bottom is very obvious and annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:11 pm 

Okay - thanks Rana! I take back everything I have said ... I have seen any clips of any of these now colourised movies. Anyway - I still wonder if they re-worked the B/W print like they did on MEA!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:31 pm 

Muz, I thought your comments were for Naya Daur. Mine were for Hum Dono.

Anyway, Hum Dono clip that I saw, in some scenes Sadhna looks good, but in most of the rest, the grey shades in B/W made her look like a rag picker. In contrast, Madhubala looked very beautifull in MEA. And, Hum Dono colorists were making claims that their coloration is much superior than MEA and that they won't make the same mistakes that MEA coloration made.

I just hope that the clip of Hum Dono that I saw was flawed and the coloured film itself will be good ?? May be the lip synch problem appeared for the TV clip only ?? Or, if these problems are real then let's hope they'll fix them before the final print is released.

-----------------------
BTW, in the case of MEA, some original film was in color and they matched those colors for the remainder of the film. In case of Hum Dono & Naya Daur and others, there is no orig color clips and hence colors are all assumed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:52 pm 

Thanks for the clarification!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:49 pm 

not very good looking touch up

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:17 pm 

Can someone remind me if Naya Daur and Hum Dono did release in color ?? Naya Daur color shot above looks good.

Perhaps Hum Dono did not release in color yet ?? As per news report, it's releasing Jan 28, 2011.
Quote:
http://movies.ndtv.com/movie_story.aspx ... &nid=76977
Retitled as Hum Dono Rangeen, the hit that saw Dev Anand in a double role opposite Nanda and Sadhana 50 years ago, will first release overseas Jan 28 in its digitally re-mastered coloured version before hitting the Indian screens Feb 4.

The outing, also remembered for its musical lighter and often hummed songs like Mai zindagi ka saath nibhata chala gaya and Abhi na jaao chhodkar, has been coloured using 65,000 shades. It will release with Dolby Digital Ex surround sound. Sandrew has colured the movie with state of the art advanced technology in the US.

Not sure if it's a publicity gimmick or if they are serious:
Later they are planning to convert it into 3D as well ??
Quote:
Impressed by Dev Anand and the movie's "spectacular" new look, Sandrew is now contemplating converting it into 3D.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:12 pm 

LOL! LOL! LOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL!!!!!
I'm laughing my
ass
off at rana's comments. Abt the rag picker and Ganda Naala and all...

He's absolutely right!! Her skin tone is grey in most scenes and so is Devji's...
The promos I saw appear like a 2 D painting.

And in which world to the bloody restorers live? Better than mea??? Balls!

And Sadhana's always shown wearing pink or purple clothes. And nanda's shown wearing a green or a yellow saree throughout.

The lips are black, purple, brown, shit colour... All colours except the natural lip colour...