It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:50 am 

Good news for anyone who likes their movies as bloody as a rare steak. Quentin Tarantino, the director who made ultra-violence fashionable with films such as Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, is reportedly in negotiations to revive one of cinema's most established horror franchises.
Tarantino is considering writing and directing a new instalment of Friday the 13th, the 25-year-old stalk-and-slash movie series that stars the hockey mask-wearing pyschopath Jason Voorhees. The director is in early talks with New Line Cinema and is scheduled to hold meetings with the company this week.

The original Friday the 13th film was a low-budget affair released in 1980 and remembered - if at all - as one of Kevin Bacon's earliest films. It introduced Voorhees as a boy who drowns in a lake at a school camp and whose death may be linked to the systematic slaughter of the camp's counsellors 11 years later.

A sequel followed in 1981 and Friday the 13th became one of the drivers of the 1980s horror boom. It has spawned more than 10 sequels.

New Line, encouraged by the $82m (£43m) US box office receipts earned by the 2003 episode, Freddy Vs Jason - a showdown between Voorhees and Nightmare on Elm Street anti-hero Freddy Krueger - are reportedly anxious to get another sequel in production.

Reports in the trade magazines Variety and the Holly wood Reporter said New Line has decided to go upmarket, recruiting the director of Pulp Fiction to make the "ultimate Jason Voorhees movie".

Tarantino is reportedly intrigued by the idea of putting his stamp on Jason and if the project does develop it could be the first film he directs outside Miramax Films.

Tarantino's agent has confirmed the meeting with New Line but pointed out the director frequently takes months if not years between projects.

Chris Hewitt, news editor at the film magazine Empire, said Tarantino's interest in the project appeared to be genuine.

"Half of me thinks it's the worst idea ever, but the other half can't wait to see it."

Cool! 8) Hope he is very serious about it!

Last edited by JamesBond007 on Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:27 am 

Here we go again, another indicator for the "creative bankruptcy " of Tarantino ! :roll:

I am a fan of the horror genre and tarnatino, but I would like him to come up with something more than “this marriage”. From what I have seen the talent exist but not the intent !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:46 am 

Tarantino is more talented than to just perpetrate a tired genre. If he does this film I hope he breaks it apart, though I'm not sure what anyone can do with the slasher genre after Scream satirized it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:01 am 

Rita wrote:
Don’t know about the recent Freddy vs Jason film

for what it is worth, the film was not bad - though I watched it for the "fun" aspect than the "scare" aspect.

DragunR2 wrote:
Tarantino is more talented than to just perpetrate a tired genre. If he does this film I hope he breaks it apart, though I'm not sure what anyone can do with the slasher genre after Scream satirized it.

Bingo my friend - Never a fan of slasher sub-genre, but loved it when Wes Craven ( supposedly master of horror) did the Scream films and basically said STOP MAKING IT ANYMORE !

If people are interested I saw Haute Tension (a.k.a High Tension) recently and thought it was cool . Rent/Buy if you want/can - its worth it.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0338095/

Personally I love horror films with mood/atmosphere/character and style and here’s my pick - Rosemary Baby ( Love Polanski !)

And as for Tarantino – I am sure he can Jump-Start the franchise, my problem is he will bring in all the Argento/Bavo influence and its starting to become a little stale now !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:16 pm 

Rita - I recently saw Dawn of the Dead and have a mixed opinion on it. In certain respect it seems better than the original version... The zombies for one are cleverer (they can run as fast as humans :D )... It appears less distasteful than the orginal as the orginal shows cannibilism in too much details - with scenes of humans being ate like Kentucky fried chicken... Overall both are good and much better than many horror films.

Talking of horror films, I thought Jeeper's Creepers was really good! Anyone seen that? And the other one I liked was Texas Chain Saw Massacre.

I found Jason vs Freddy really pathetic - more like a children's cartoon fantasy than horror... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:53 pm 

Rita wrote:
The film that freaked me out, which for me is the best horror zombie film, is “Night of the Living Dead (1968)!”

In my humble opinion George A. Romero knows humour more than horror, his trilogy is more of a"satire" than "horror" and its really good. Along with the Evil Dead Trilogy, the Zombie Trilogy (Night of the living dead, Dawn of the dead and Day of the dead) are my favourite horror trilogy. If you know what he was really into then i suggest you check out - "Shaun of the Dead" - it was hilarious !

http://imdb.com/title/tt0365748/

Enjoy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:53 pm 

Rita wrote:
Without a doubt my all time favorite ‘Diabolique’- French version is extremely atmospheric, bizarre and eerie, leaves a lot to the imagination!

Great Choice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:34 pm 

I like the original Robert Wise version of The Haunting. It's not scary per se, but very atmospheric.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:24 pm 

Oh hell this thread has already evolved away from Tarantino and in keeping with the trend let me interject with a few of my own favourites! :lol: Rosemary's Baby I remember when I first saw this movie I had to sleep with the lights on that night! In those days this was the most frightfull movie! The Exorcist, now this one not only shook my religious beliefs but reinforces it to the extent that I no longer take my waking hours for granted, and would occaisonally beseech God for refuge against Satan! Poltergeist After seeng the previews on tv, I was kinda cocky and said to myself I can handle this. Boy, but was I wrong! :lol: If you haven't and most probably you did, see them again. There are many surprises with every veiwing! You know like the parts where you got really scared and closed your eyes the first time! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:33 am 

JamesBond007 wrote:
Oh hell this thread has already evolved away from Tarantino

I should have posted this earlier ( have been too busy of late ) - the topic of of tarantino , his "creativity" and his role in Friday thee 13th was discussed on other boards and some of those thoughts pretty much sums up what I have been thinking - Love him now but waiting on the ledge to start hating him.

The following is intersting reading on what some people think

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread ... =tarantino

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread ... =tarantino

Since this is turning out to be a "horror" recommendation thread, here are some movies from east Asia that I liked ( often called J-Horror). I think East asia pretty much seems to rule horror these days

- Ringu ( liked the original better than the remake) and thought Ring 0 and Ring2 were bad. I am hearing that the new Ring 2 has a new story with the same director - so looking forward to the that
- Juon 2 ( did not like the Ju-on and have not seen the remake)
- Dark Waters ( was interesting) - another Hollywood remake on its way
- Eye ( time pass - copied as Athu is Tamil ??)
- Kairo - Loved it ! ,but not ur typical horror
- Uzumaki - Loved it Loved it !
- Suicide Club - disturbing flick
- Audition,Gozu - Not "pure" horror but still worth delving into Takeshi Mikke's efforts, a very exciting director indeed – Loved him
- Tuetso I , II - Loved a veary Lynchian style effort
- Tale of Two sisters ( getting a R1 release finally) - Highly Recommended
- Cure - Loved it !

that should keep ur horror appetite going ..., Enjoy

Last edited by dvdisoil on Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:41 am 

Ok kicking myself for not including Ichi the Killer - not horror per-se but still in the same genre as "gore-fest" – a classic work from Takshi Miike ( god I love this guy !)

Check out the trailor - Warning - definitely NOT for the squeamish - and I mean it !

http://www.ichithekiller.net/trailer/trailer_high.html

Also acknowledging 'The Shining' as a true masterpiece of ‘atmospheric horror’

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:01 am 

More QT info - He is NOT doing Friday the 13th

http://www.filmfocus.co.uk/focuson.asp?FocusID=3

rita wrote:
What are your opinion/thoughts on these films loosely based/inspired in the tradition of Jason Friday the 13th slasher films?
Prom Night
Urban Legend – mad killer uses uncanny folktales to murder victims at a school.

Have not seen Prom night , so cant comment on it. Urban Legend is bad - I thought it was along the lines of scream except the director though otherwise - to this date I am not sure if it is a serious horror movie or not !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:26 am 

Versus is a gory Japanese film with moments that make Kill Bill look tame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:55 am 

dvdisoil wrote:
Ok kicking myself for not including Ichi the Killer - not horror per-se but still in the same genre as "gore-fest" – a classic work from Takshi Miike ( god I love this guy !)

Check out the trailor - Warning - definitely NOT for the squeamish - and I mean it !

http://www.ichithekiller.net/trailer/trailer_high.html

Also acknowledging 'The Shining' as a true masterpiece of ‘atmospheric horror’

I just saw Ichi The Killer this past week on HBO, it's very much like a Tarantino film; violence is exaggerated(evidently more gruesome in Miike's film) and with a little less show for cinematic chic.

By the way, speaking of Inglorious Bastards, word is that Tarantino wants Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzeneggar, Sylvester Stallone, AND Adam Sandler for this movie along with Michael Madsen.(Phew!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:45 pm 

Quote:
Suicide Club - disturbing flick

More like confusing! The plot isn't quite clear and misused or not quite defined symbolism, re: the bag of skins! The ending did leave room for a sequel, but to what? :lol:

Quote:
- Eye ( time pass - copied as Athu is Tamil ??)

Do you mean the chinese flick "The Eye" by Pang bros? I believe it was screened at the Internatoinal Film Festival in 2002? :lol: Seems a hindi remake of this is on it's way " NAINA" with Urmilla! A nice psychological thriller makes you jump out of your seat at times! :lol: Look for a sequel by Tom Cruise his production company have acquired the rights! :lol: