It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Raj Kumar dies at age 77
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:56 pm 

Reuters:

Actor Raj Kumar Dies at 77

BANGALORE, India - Raj Kumar, a onetime child actor who became one of south India's most beloved movie stars and later was kidnapped by a notorious bandit, died Wednesday at age 77.

Kumar died in a Bangalore hospital of cardiac arrest, Dr. Ramana Rao told the Press Trust of India news agency.

Kumar, whose name was also spelled Rajkumar, appeared in more than 200 Kannada-language films in five decades, with millions of fiercely devoted fans. While he largely gave up acting in the mid-1990s, he remained one of the region's best-loved figures.

He appeared in action films, mythological sagas and romance movies in which he was the star attraction.

Although he played rugged, masculine heroes who triumphed over scheming villains in many of his movies, he also was known for never having smoked cigarettes on screen, or never playing a drunkard after his early days.

He was in the news again in 2000 when he was kidnapped by Veerappan, a famed bandit who had spent decades eluding police in the forests of south India. Kumar was freed by Veerappan after 109 days living in the forests with his gang. Local reports said a large ransom was paid, although Kumar denied that.

Kumar's first glimpse into the world of acting was as a child, when he accompanied his father, an actor who performed in plays in small Indian villages.

Kumar soon dropped out of school to act on the stage and later in the movies.

He won more than 20 national and state awards for his contribution to Indian cinema. His fans called him "Annavaru" meaning "respected elder brother" in the Kannada language.

Movie reviews often told of audiences in cinema halls booing villains who tried to pick fights with him on the big screen. Fans were known to worship his image and pray that his films would be successful at the box office.

He also was a singer whose range extended from dance numbers to classical and devotional songs.

After his retirement, Kumar continued to work behind the scenes as a producer.

Kumar's three sons — Shivraj, Raghavendra and Puneet — all became successful actors.

The regional government in southern India decided to give Kumar a state funeral, according to Press Trust of India.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:21 am 

never followed his films or anything, but I sure as hell remember him from the veerappan incident

they almost had to send rajni in there after him :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:51 pm 

It would be criminal of me not to post on this thread. Having seen some Rajkumar flicks in my childhood(on vacations to my parents' hometowns) and some after having grown up on TV. Have not been a fan, but he was a good actor and did do some really wonderful movies when he was not a superstar.

I probably dont even remember the name of the movie in which I was most impressed with his performance. He was an institution however, who did 'understand' the medium and the nuances of onscreen emoting. As with everybody else, he became worse as his age progressed and hammed fairly badly in the last 10 years of his career. His movies were nothing short of forgettable in those times.

Unfortunately there is a lot of controversy surrounding how his family stifled the careers of other talented actors/directors in an effort to control the Kannada film industry. Having said that with the ending of his era, here's hoping that the industry can come into its own now as during the days of the so called new wave directors such as Putanna Kanagal in the 70s.

May his soul rest in peace.