It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Oscar Fav?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:23 pm 

Away from bollywood....

Which films/actors you reckon deserve the oscars for this year...

The list is here
http://www.oscar.com/nominees/list.html

Having seen most the films...mine is the following...

Best Actor
Terrence Howard - HUSTLE & FLOW

Best Supporting Actor
Matt Dillon - CRASH

Best Actress
Reese Witherspoon - WALK THE LINE

Best Supporting Actress
Rachel Weisz - THE CONSTANT GARDENER

Best Animation Feature
WALLACE & GROMIT IN THE CURSE OF THE WERE-RABBIT

Art Direction
MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA

Cinematography
THE NEW WORLD

Costume Design
MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA

Directing
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN

Documentary Feature
ENRON: THE SMARTEST GUYS IN THE ROOM

Editing
THE CONSTANT GARDENER

Foriegn Film
TSOTSI

Make Up
CINDERELLA MAN

Music Score
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN

Best Song
"In the Deep" from CRASH

Best Film
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN

Sound Editing
MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA

Sound Mix
KING KONG

Visual Effects
KING KONG

Adapted Screenplay
A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE

Original Screenplay
CRASH

Not seen any of the short animation films or features, so didn't include them here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:23 pm 

I haven't seen a lot of these films, but the only ones I feel strongly about are Philip Seymour Hoffman winning lead actor for Capote, and Crash not winning for screenplay or direction :D

Post subject: Re: Oscar Fav?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

Shahran Sunny Audit wrote:

Best Animation Feature
WALLACE & GROMIT IN THE CURSE OF THE WERE-RABBIT

This should be the only movie getting accolades this year!

Watched BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN - it's an overrated and boring piece of melodrama that done very accomplished director which is beautifully shot – but it no master pieces no matter the subject area. Feel the same about THE CONSTANT GARDENER & CRASH – very over rated pieces of work, certainly not worthy of Oscars!

Wallace & Gromitt rulez!!!11111 :lol:

Ali

Post subject: Re: Oscar Fav?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:53 am 

Shahran Sunny Audit wrote:

Foriegn Film
TSOTSI

How's Tsotsi? The trailer looked interesting, kinda similar to City of God.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:19 am 

I haven't seen all the movies yet, but based on what I saw:

Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman ( I would have voted for Terrence Howard, if i haven't seen his other films and bunch of interviews. I really like this guy, when I saw Crash I saw an actor born, when it came to hustle & flow he blew my mind. The best thing about his acting is his voice modulation and face expressions But when I saw few of his other films I found out he has the same voice modulation and expressions. If an actor can't change his voice control and expressions differently in each movie, he is not an oscar award worthy. People will also get tired of his acting because of the same expressions and voice modulation. This is strictly my personal opinion)

Supporting Actor: Paul Giamatti (whoever seen cindrella man will give him an award, excellent)

Best Actress: Felicity Huffman (one of the best performance from a woman in hollywood)

Best supporting actress: Rachel Weiz (she was very good, but i am surprised to see Rene zelzeger(??) didn't get nominated.)

Cinematography: MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA (just too good)

Directing: CRASH ( I haven't seen Munich)

Best Documentry: MARCH OF THE PENGUINS ( I only saw this one and ENRON)

EDITING: Constant Gardner (CRASH is also good)

Best Foreign Film: Paradise now ((wish THANMATHRA (MALAYALAM, INDIA) was competing, who the F&*CK send paheli???) THANMATHRA WON FIVE KERALA STATE AWARDS)

Best Film: CRASH ( again, I haven't seen MUNICH and Good Night and Good Luck)

Screen Play: CRASH (i am sure this one will win the award)

Last edited by Kuttappan on Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:23 am 

??????????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:29 am 

Kuttappan wrote:
??????????????

If broken Back is like million dollar baby or less..then i can tell! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:45 am 

what's wrong with Crash? :?:

is there are dvd of Thanmathra available?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:04 am 

Yuvan wrote:
what's wrong with Crash? :?:

It was a poorly written film. Every character was a cardboard cutout or archetype. Racism is much more complicated than people shouting epithets at each other. Felt like a high school play on racism or something.

There were a couple of scenes that were powerful taken on their own, but the overall film was trite and disappointing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:50 pm 

Yuvan wrote:

is there are dvd of Thanmathra available?

Nope, It's still running successfully in Kerala. I can't wait to see it when it get released in US.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:48 am 

Spike...... Thanmathra released in Chicago a few weeks back. I don't know about other states. I am not saying Thanmathra is a must Oscar worthy film but there is no excuse for sending PAHELI to the Oscars. I didn't see a lot of Indian films last year, only saw a very few Hindi films and other regional films. Thanmathra stands number one in my list from last year and definitely one of the top 15 films of all time.

http://inhome.rediff.com/movies/2006/feb/09award.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:46 am 

Thanmathra is being exhibited this weekend in LA.

Crash presented a common form of racism, and quite accurately. It however doesn't present international problems where racism might be more "complicated" than this, but it's intentions were to focus on local issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:32 am 

If I had a ballot:

Picture - Capote
Director - Ang Lee, Brokeback Mountain (although I'd vote for him only because he was robbed for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon).
Actor - Heath Ledger, Brokeback Mountain (EDIT: Actually, I'm hard-pressed between him and the equally brilliant Terrence Howard - can't make up my mind, ask me later).
Actress - Reese Witherspoon, Walk the Line (aside from Keira Knightley, the only worthwhile nominee in this travesty of a category).
Supporting Actor - William Hurt, A History of Violence (unfortunately, the award will go to one of the four other underserving candidates).
Supporting Actress - Amy Adams, Junebug (aside from Frances McDormand, any woman in this category would be a deserving winner).
Screenplay (Original) - Noah Baumbach, The Squid and the Whale
Screenplay (Adapted) - Josh Olsen, A History of Violence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:41 am 

Kuttappan wrote:
...I would have voted for Terrence Howard, if i haven't seen his other films and bunch of interviews. I really like this guy, when I saw Crash I saw an actor born, when it came to hustle & flow he blew my mind. The best thing about his acting is his voice modulation and face expressions But when I saw few of his other films I found out he has the same voice modulation and expressions. If an actor can't change his voice control and expressions differently in each movie, he is not an oscar award worthy. People will also get tired of his acting because of the same expressions and voice modulation. This is strictly my personal opinion)

I respect your opinion, but isn't one supposed to vote only for the performance in question? I know it never works that way (see my own bias above with Ang Lee), but I believe that's the point about awards - acknowledging the best singular work achieved by an individual in the medium of film. Howard may be repeating himself, but in Hustle and Flow, I think he is at full force in creating a performance that is utterly transcendent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:27 pm 

Kuttappan wrote:
Spike...... Thanmathra released in Chicago a few weeks back. I don't know about other states. I am not saying Thanmathra is a must Oscar worthy film but there is no excuse for sending PAHELI to the Oscars. I didn't see a lot of Indian films last year, only saw a very few Hindi films and other regional films. Thanmathra stands number one in my list from last year and definitely one of the top 15 films of all time.

http://inhome.rediff.com/movies/2006/feb/09award.htm

I watched Thanmathra in NY yesterday. The movie was good, though not as excellent as Blessy's previous effort, Kazcha. But that is totally understandable because Kazcha's story was many years in the making. Mohanlal once again proves that he is a magnificent actor. Just like Maniratnam, Blessy is very good at casting perfect kids for his movies. I also like to mention the good cinematography by Sethu Sreeram. Overall Thanmathra is a very classy film that should be watched by all film lovers.

Here's a song from Thanmathra I found on YouTube.
:arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCC8zsXX ... thanmathra