It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:39 pm 

VMindblowing Sush, boring Chingaari

Priyanka Jain | February 17, 2006 20:41 IST

Kalpana Lajme's new film Chingaari is set in a nondescript village called Rangpur, and Lalbatti is where women like Basanti (Sushmita Sen) sell their bodies to survive.

Basanti, despite being a prostitute, is a woman with feelings and emotions like the rest of us. And she finally finds love in the form of a Chandan (Anuj Sawhney), a village postman.

When Bhuvan Panda (Mithun Chakraborty), the evil, scheming village priest who everyone fears and obeys, finds out about Basanti and Chandan, he stands in the way of love. He succeeds, and Basanti vows revenge.

The film is about exploitation, love, lust and womanpower. It's a story that has the potential to be a good art film, not mainstream Bollywood cinema in the age of the multiplex, and I must say I am disappointed.

I know you make women-centric films with a message, but do you really just want to preach, Ms Lajme?

For one, the voiceover reminds you of the television serial Mahabharat's opening: 'Main Samay hoon!'

In the intermission, there were 20 women in the washroom discussing the same things -- the lack of a commercially viable story, the film's inability to hold the audience and how they were utterly disappointed and bored with what they saw in the first half.

For two, Mithun -- clad in saffron clothes, gold ornaments and marigolds around his neck -- cuts an impressive figure as a priest, but his dialogues and acting leave a sorry impression.

'I don't write scripts for actors'

I neither felt like hating him nor was I disgusted by his character. It lacked enough negativity. If his character did anything, it bored me. To the core.

In spite of the controversy he raked up before the movie and Sushmita declaring that she will not speak to him anymore, Sawhney brings a whiff of fresh air to the film. His smiling demeanour and innocent, attractive portrayal of the village postman is worth noticing.

Ila Arun also figures in the film -- I had to go through the torture of hearing her sing -- playing a character with no recall value.

The music -- by Aadesh Srivastava -- is too slow and uninteresting. When I left the theatre, I was humming nothing.

The only saving grace of the film is Sush, who puts in a mindblowing performance. And it's her film through and through. She is the hero, the heroine, the comic relief, the baby, the mother, the friend, the lover, the goddess, the prostitute.

Sushmita smolders in Chingaari

She is the only possible reason to watch this movie.

Dressed in backless cholis, with hair hanging till her waist, rudraksh on her neck, kohl in her eyes, red paint on her nails and lips, she looks gorgeous. Costume designer Irfan Khatri has exaggerated her sensuous appeal. And boy, has he succeeded!

She flits through the range of emotions -- from playful, naughty to motherly; from the sacrificing, suffering, helpless girl to a woman scorned unleashing her fury -- with effortless aplomb.

From her startling 'Let jaa, Basanti aa rahi hai' to a customer, to her flirting with the postman to where she challenges the priest, one sees Sushmita at her mesmerising best.

She sizzles, captivates and completely casts a spell on the audience in the second half. Watch her banging the dhol and you'll know what I mean.

If only one could say such good things about the film.

Want to see this movie? Check out Rediff Movie Tickets!

*** Are we looking for another National for Lajmi's heroine?? :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:08 pm 

arsh wrote:
VMindblowing Sush, boring Chingaari

Priyanka Jain | February 17, 2006 20:41 IST

The only saving grace of the film is Sush, who puts in a mindblowing performance. And it's her film through and through. She is the hero, the heroine, the comic relief, the baby, the mother, the friend, the lover, the goddess, the prostitute.

Sushmita smolders in Chingaari

She is the only possible reason to watch this movie.

Dressed in backless cholis, with hair hanging till her waist, rudraksh on her neck, kohl in her eyes, red paint on her nails and lips, she looks gorgeous. Costume designer Irfan Khatri has exaggerated her sensuous appeal. And boy, has he succeeded!

She flits through the range of emotions -- from playful, naughty to motherly; from the sacrificing, suffering, helpless girl to a woman scorned unleashing her fury -- with effortless aplomb.

From her startling 'Let jaa, Basanti aa rahi hai' to a customer, to her flirting with the postman to where she challenges the priest, one sees Sushmita at her mesmerising best.

She sizzles, captivates and completely casts a spell on the audience in the second half. Watch her banging the dhol and you'll know what I mean.

*** Are we looking for another National for Lajmi's heroine?? :idea:

Is it not enough for this low budget film to pull through and eventually multiply its investment making it Super Duper Hit ??

I'm sure it will get to Super Duper Hit status.
Awards will be extras. :D

Too bad, it's not playing in theatres here.

Post subject: history
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:53 pm 

This was initially named "Postman and the Prostitute."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:29 am 

Kalpana Lajme's films always bore me, so I don't expect this one to be any better

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:52 am 

I have only seen DAMAN, and while I found the film to be very disturbing and even boring at times, I must say Kalpana Lajmi has a unique style of cinematic storytelling which will make me remember this movie for a long time. I have only seen it once when it came out, years ago, but still remember many scenes very well, despite the fact that I didn't "like" (not that her films are for entertainment) the film very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:33 pm 

Anwar wrote:
I have only seen DAMAN, and while I found the film to be very disturbing and even boring at times, I must say Kalpana Lajmi has a unique style of cinematic storytelling which will make me remember this movie for a long time. I have only seen it once when it came out, years ago, but still remember many scenes very well, despite the fact that I didn't "like" (not that her films are for entertainment) the film very much.

Anwar Miyan, you should watch Rudaali, you will be WOWED!! I assure!!

Post subject: Rihaee
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:40 pm 

For a true women's lib experience, watch Aruna Raje's Rihaee...

Post subject: Re: Rihaee
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:47 pm 

NewDeep wrote:
For a true women's lib experience, watch Aruna Raje's Rihaee...

I did not see Rihaee, but did you see Rudaali, newdeep?

Post subject: yes
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:52 pm 

Yes Rudali is breathtaking too... but Rihaee is more real.