It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Amitabh Bachchan: Savior
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:05 am 

To-day's viewing of Family has compelled me to write this little...thesis. I've decide to compose a list of post-Mohabbatein films (which I consider to be the third, and current, "phase" of Bachchan's career) that I think Amitabh "saved." By "saved," I mean films that more or less suck, but were made watchable almost solely due to Bachchan's presence. Thus, a film such as Aks would not make the list, as it was far from "sucky." So, without further ado, here I go (chronologically):

1. Ek Rishtaa: A simply terrible movie. Horrible characterizations, trite dialogues, clichéd "message." The supporting cast did little to help matters: Juhi Chawla's role was utterly inconsequential, and Karisma Kapoor came off as nothing more than annoying. Akshay Kumar was OK, but he hadn't really his "drama chops," at the time of this films release (though he was certainly in full form by Waqt [in which he also starred with Amitabh]). Bachchan, however, was great in his role as the obstinate, stern patriarch. Among his best scenes, was that of the climax, wherein he cooly waited out an irksome, hamming Mohnish Behl. If not for Amitabh, Ek Rishtaa would have been an indescribable pain to watch.

2. Armaan: A movie that could have been good, but ended up going way off track, and thus, became a train wreck. The only parts that were actually compelling, were the few for which Amitabh Bachchan was actually on screen. Once his character was done away with, the movie just became a lost cause, and a bore.

3. Baghban: My, if ever there were an archetypical example of something. One of the most contrived, sappy pieces of shit to come out of the industry in recent years. Talk about two-dimensional, one-sided depictions of characters. Every moment of this movie seemed to teach a lesson in how not to make a scene. Though the songs were good, and the Amitabh-Hema pair was intriguing to watch, it is solely Amitabh Bachchan who made Baghban better than average. In a movie that pulled out all the stops, in making sure that you'd get — to the extent at which it might as well have bludgeouned you over the head with a bat reading, "LOVE YOUR MOMMY AND DADDY, YOU SELFISH b*****!" — Amitabh never played into what could have been yet another horribly stereotypical character. He put in a sincere effort, and it showed. Truly, without Bachchan in the lead, this movie would have been beyond disastrous.

4. Bunty Aur Babli: OK, so he didn't exactly "save" this one, but then, he was limited to what may best be described as an "extended guest appearance." That said, Bachchan was really the only enjoyable factor in this dull, uninteresting "entertainer." His "bad cop" routine was simply fun to watch, and his "Kajra Re" song went down quite well. Now, if only they'd put him in Abhishek's role, and let Priyadarshan direct.

5. Dil Jo Bhi Kahey: A dumb-ass, typical, predictable, "with-a-message" love story, in which Amitabh was the only thing that kept you looking at the screen. His confrontation with the heroine's father, was easily the best scene of the movie. It seems that it's not a good idea to cast newcomers with Bachchan, as — though it may help get some asses in the seats — the "newcomer" never really stands a chance at making a break (Abhay Deol did quite well, starring alone, in the well-made [though somewhat cheesey] venture, Socha Na Tha). Hell, the only song that was entertaining, in the entire film, was the one that starred Bachchan (i.e., the holi song ["C'est la Vie"]). Of course, the film was no Hum, but, minus-Bachchan, it wouldn't even have made a mark.

6. Ek Ajnabee: Wow, talk about pulling a film out of the shitter. Sure, had Man On Fire never been made, Ek Ajnabee would have been teriffic. Man On Fire, however, was made, and Ek Ajnabee was nothing more than the prototypical "Bollywood rip-off." Amitabh Bachchan much more than rose to the challenge of making his character more than a cardboard-cutout of a "wounded soldier," and he actually out-did Denzel Washington in the leading part. Honestly, if not for the "Amitabh-Bachchan factor," Ek Ajnabee would deserve nothing but scorn and abhorrence.

7. Family: Not really "saved," but nothing at all without Bachchan. Supposedly Aryeman's "launch vehicle," the movie disturbingly sophomoric slipshod film ended up being owned by Amitabh. Sure, Viren Sahai was basically a re-hash of Vijay Dinanath Chauhan, but Bachchan had more than enough fire left in him to pull off the role (the climactic "police-station" scene was probably the best of the entire film). He looked cool, he talked cool, he fired guns cool — Bachchan kept Family from being an utter waste of the cost of one movie ticket.

Yes, there are other films that fall into this time frame, that also suck (e.g., Hum Kaun Hai?, Ab Tumhare Hawale Watan Saathiyo), but they just couldn't be saved. Also, there have been many movies outside this time frame that Amitabh has "saved," but, well, that's a discussion for another day. For now, I think my anger towards Family has been somewhat resolved (I don't know exactly how, but I think that it has been). Does anyone have anything to add?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:03 am 

I agree very much with BAGHBAN. That film wouldn't have even been watchable if Amitabh Bachchan wasn't there. His performance was GREAT! If only the script of the film was filled with less one-dimensional characters..

But EK RISHTAA, ARMAAN and BUNTY AUR BABLI I found boring anyway. Though Amitabh Bachchan is good in every "sucky" film he appears in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:00 pm 

I agree Baghban could have been much better. For some reason the 1976 movie Zindagi with Mala Sinha & Sanjeev Kumar it's based on still seems more satisfying and powerful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:51 pm 

main wohi hoon wrote:
I agree Baghban could have been much better. For some reason the 1976 movie Zindagi with Mala Sinha & Sanjeev Kumar it's based on still seems more satisfying and powerful.

That's likely because we watch them as "1970s' films." It makes a big difference to the viewer when he knows which era a film is from. Deewaar (1975) is a great film, but, were it released to-day, it would seem a bit dated (though that is largely because it has been done to death, at this point; something which would not be possible had it never been made, in the first place). Baghban might have worked thirty years ago (even then, just barely), but it was a disaster, in 2003.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:43 am 

I agree that DEEWAAR wouldn't have worked today. But, after hearing so many good things about the film, when I watched the film some years ago, I didn't find it special at all. I found it even boring and melodramatic in places, but that's just my taste. I liked the ending though. Maybe I need to watch it again. :wink:

Imho, BAGHBAN would work today, if it was made convincingly with real characters, but I still kind of like the film, because of the theme, Amitabh and Hema, and of course Paresh Rawal and Lilette Dubey. And the ending. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:51 am 

Anwar wrote:
I agree that DEEWAAR wouldn't have worked today. But, after hearing so many good things about the film, when I watched the film some years ago, I didn't find it special at all. I found it even boring and melodramatic in places, but that's just my taste. I liked the ending though. Maybe I need to watch it again. :wink:

Imho, BAGHBAN would work today, if it was made convincingly with real characters, but I still kind of like the film, because of the theme, Amitabh and Hema, and of course Paresh Rawal and Lilette Dubey. And the ending. :P

I just love Deewaar. Of course, everyone's taste varies, but I hope you'll watch it again (maybe you'll like it).

I, too, think that Baghban could have worked, to-day, if it had been well-made (which it really wasn't, as far as fundamentals [such as script] are concerned). I also really like the ending.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:11 am 

I'll let you know when I've watched it again. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:17 am 

Commando303 wrote:
Bachchan, however, was great in his role as the obstinate, stern patriarch. Among his best scenes, was that of the climax, wherein he cooly waited out an irksome, hamming Mohnish Behl. If not for Amitabh, Ek Rishtaa would have been an indescribable pain to watch.

2. Armaan: The only parts that were actually compelling, were the few for which Amitabh Bachchan was actually on screen. Once his character was done away with, the movie just became a lost cause, and a bore.

3. Baghban: Though the songs were good, and the Amitabh-Hema pair was intriguing to watch, it is solely Amitabh Bachchan who made Baghban better than average. He put in a sincere effort, and it showed. Truly, without Bachchan in the lead, this movie would have been beyond disastrous.

4. Bunty Aur Babli: Bachchan was really the only enjoyable factor in this dull, uninteresting "entertainer." His "bad cop" routine was simply fun to watch, and his "Kajra Re" song went down quite well. Now, if only they'd put him in Abhishek's role, and let Priyadarshan direct.

5. Dil Jo Bhi Kahey: Amitabh was the only thing that kept you looking at the screen. His confrontation with the heroine's father, was easily the best scene of the movie. It seems that it's not a good idea to cast newcomers with Bachchan. Of course, the film was no Hum, but, minus-Bachchan, it wouldn't even have made a mark.

6. Ek Ajnabee: Amitabh Bachchan much more than rose to the challenge of making his character more than a cardboard-cutout of a "wounded soldier," and he actually out-did Denzel Washington in the leading part. If not for the "Amitabh-Bachchan factor," Ek Ajnabee would deserve nothing but scorn and abhorrence.

7. Family: Not really "saved," but nothing at all without Bachchan. Supposedly Aryeman's "launch vehicle," the movie disturbingly sophomoric slipshod film ended up being owned by Amitabh. Sure, Viren Sahai was basically a re-hash of Vijay Dinanath Chauhan, but Bachchan had more than enough fire left in him to pull off the role (the climactic "police-station" scene was probably the best of the entire film). He looked cool, he talked cool, he fired guns cool — Bachchan kept Family from being an utter waste of the cost of one movie ticket.

yeah sure....I think a temple will be in order. AB can't even save his own sorry ass. Oops or am I not allowed to criticize Amitabh Bachchan here. No offence Commando303 but I think he sucks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:43 pm 

congress wrote:
yeah sure....I think a temple will be in order. AB can't even save his own sorry ass. Oops or am I not allowed to criticize Amitabh Bachchan here. No offence Commando303 but I think he sucks!

No offense taken; you're free to like or dislike whomever you do. It's fine to "citicize" Bachchan here — lol — but all you really did is say he sucks; you didn't really say why or anything. Personally, Amitabh Bachchan is my favorite actor, and I think he's phenomenally talented. I feel he's more than "saved" countless films.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:47 am 

Commando303 wrote:
congress wrote:

No offense taken; you're free to like or dislike whomever you do. It's fine to "citicize" Bachchan here — lol — but all you really did is say he sucks; you didn't really say why or anything. Personally, Amitabh Bachchan is my favorite actor, and I think he's phenomenally talented. I feel he's more than "saved" countless films.

Commando303 take it easy, I was just kidding. I love to irritate AB fans, especially people like Faddy. I don't really hate AB but do I get a little fed up when he's put on a pedestal...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:14 am 

Really, I don't have a problem with people disliking something or someone I love, but I do hate when they just bash such things or people, giving no apparent reason (none of this is aimed at you). I think Ram Gopal Varma is horrendously over-rated, but I think I try to give reasons as to why. Also, I think that whenever someone gets "really famous," it becomes terribly easy to label the person "over-rated"; that said, I shall maintain now, and forever, that Amitabh Bachchan is the greatest thing to happen to acting since the earth came into existence, and people began to act, and...well, you all get the point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:45 am 

Quote:
Really, I don't have a problem with people disliking something or someone I love, but I do hate when they just bash such things or people, giving no apparent reason (none of this is aimed at you). I think Ram Gopal Varma is horrendously over-rated, but I think I try to give reasons as to why. Also, I think that whenever someone gets "really famous," it becomes terribly easy to label the person "over-rated"; that said, I shall maintain now, and forever, that Amitabh Bachchan is the greatest thing to happen to acting since the earth came into existence, and people began to act, and...well, you all get the point.

I HOPE ONE DAY YOU WILL OPEN YOUR EYES AND TAKE A LOOK AT REGIONAL FILMS. One thing I can promise you, U WILL FIND MORE THAN 15 GREAT ACTORS who are 100 steps above Amithab Bachan or any other actor you have ever known in your life.

I hope i didn't insult u.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:06 am 

Well, you didn't insult me, but I do strongly disagree with you. I know plenty of people who insist that many "regional," or otherwise "non-commercial" actors are "miles above" any given "popular actor." I don't think that a theater or "small-time" actor is in any way "worse" than a "mainstream, superstar" one, but I think that stars often (unfairly) get bad reputation when it comes to "acting." Certainly, there are "stars" who are just that; that is, stars who don't do anything that really comes close to "performance" (e.g., Salman Khan). That said, "stars" are often just as talented as lesser-knowns. (Hell, there are plenty of "small-time" performers who really aren't all that great...though I suppose that this point is somewhat irrelevant.) Amitabh Bachchan, I feel, is through-and-through an "actor" (as well as, of course, a "star"). I've seen many (if not most) of his films, and I feel quite confident in this assertion. I don't feel that he is in any way inferior to the "artistes" of the world. He has his Mrityudaatas, but he also has his Main Azaad Hoons. So, in conclusion, I don't claim that "regional actors" are at all inferior, but certainly I feel that Amitabh Bachchan is not so, either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:14 pm 

Take a look at the Genius MOHAN LAL from malayalam. A true super star with talents 1000 times above Bachan. If you wanna compare bachan's talent and mohan lal's talent watch BACHANS BLACK and MOHAN LAL'S THANMATHRA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:44 am 

Hi Kuttappan,
I do believe Mohan Lal is a genius but at the same time I also believe that Big B is atleast at par with him. If Mohan Lal is given Black then I am sure he would at best come up with a similiar performance. Also, Watch these movies if you want to appreciate the Legend called Amitabh Bachchan
1. Shakti
2. Namak Haram
3. Abhiman
4. Saudagar
5. Aks
6. Dev
Other than the endless list of hit movies he already has to his credit.

If Mohal Lal is great then Amitabh is a Legend :) .