It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:17 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:16 pm 

http://in.rediff.com/movies/2005/sep/26paheli.htm

You're seriously telling me there was NOTHING better than this???? Typical that films like My Brother Nikhil get ignored.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:22 pm 

bhaskar wrote:
http://in.rediff.com/movies/2005/sep/26paheli.htm

You're seriously telling me there was NOTHING better than this???? Typical that films like My Brother Nikhil get ignored.

biggest shit=Bull Shit!! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:52 pm 

LAME , VERY LAME - but what can they do , this year ( like any other year for the past 20 years !) has been weak for indian cinema :(

Having watched Paheli recently i thought the "story" had merit but Sharuk Khan pretty much 'funded' and 'destroyed' the movie and looking at other movies that were considered, none seem to “live up" to any kind of international standard - though i have to admit i have not seen Iqbal "yet" !

The other films considered for the nomination were Mangal Pandey, Veer-Zaara, Iqbal, Swades, Parineeta, Page 3, Black, Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi, Sachein (Tamil), Anniyan (Telugu), Uttarayan (Marathi), Achuvante Anna (Malayalam), Graham (Telugu), and Kadal (Tamil).

It is indeed bad times for Indian cinema

BTW - Look at other countries nominations ( i am keeping my fingers crosssed on Dardenne brother's L’enfant)

Source - http://www.ioncinema.com/beta/news.php?nid=811

The Netherlands: Bluebird by Mijke de Jong.
Finland: Mother of mine (Äideistä parhain) by Klaus Härö.
Hungary: Fateless (Sorstalanság) by Lajos Koltai.
France: Joyeux Noël by Christian Carion.
Germany: Sophie Scholl - Die letzten Tage by Marc Rothemund.
Canada: C.R.A.Z.Y by Jean-Marc Vallée.
South Africa: Tsotsi by Gavin Hood.
Belgium: L’enfant by Jean-Pierre Dardenne & Luc Dardenne

Synopsis:
Based on the adaptation of the novel by Nobel Prize winner Imre Kertesz this is a semi-autobiographical tale of a 14-year old Jewish boy from Budapest who finds himself swept up in Hitler's Final Solution policy. The boy is suddenly separated from his family as part of a frenzied deportation of the city's large Jewish population, and embarks on a dark surreal adventure in adversity and adaptation in a series of concentration camps. Following liberation, the boy confronts a general denial by both his Christian neighbors and Jewish family who escaped the deportation.

Synopsis:
Spring 1943. The Germans have lost the battle for Stalingrad and, in Munich, members of the White Rose infiltrate the city with a wave upon wave of anti-Hitler activities and slogans. Sophie and Hans Scholl are busy distributing flyers in the main hall of Munich University when they are observed and arrested. From this point on, the film adopts Sophie’s perspective to tell the story of the interrogations that followed their arrest, as well as the brother and sister’s trial and pronouncement of their sentence. At first, Sophie feigns innocence, fighting tooth and nail to secure her and her brother’s release. However, sensing that the death penalty awaits them, she then does her best to protect her brother and the other resistance fighters. Gestapo man Mohr begins to admire Sophie and indicates that he will help her if she admits to being a fellow-traveller. But Sophie refuses to give up her conviction, instead confronting Mohr with his own unthinking perception of what is right and just. Roland Freisler, chief of the Nazis’ “People’s Court”, is sent from Berlin to Munich to conduct a show trial against the students – in spite of the fact that the death penalty has already been decided from the outset. At a hearing that makes a mockery of all the rules of jurisprudence, Sophie and her brother are sentenced to the death penalty. During the trial, Sophie battles so brilliantly against Freisler (who is positively snorting with rage) that her steadfast behaviour even wins her the approval of the male Nazi spectators at court. As soon as the trial is over, the brother and sister are taken away to Stadelheim to be executed. They are allowed to say goodbye to their parents before sharing their final cigarette. History has of course shown that Sophie Scholl was right in her last, defiant prediction to Freisler: “You’re hanging us today but, tomorrow, it’ll be your heads that will roll!”

Synopsis:
After beating one of his own gang almost to death in an argument, Tsotsi shoots a woman outside her home and steals her car - unaware, in his panic, that her baby is in the back seat, or that said child will mark the first stage of his long, reluctant path to redemption... Beautifully shot and convincingly performed, this deeply affecting drama (shot on location in the poverty-stricken townships outside Johannesburg) carries an extraordinary emotional power, a portrait of third-world ghetto life that's every bit as raw as City Of God- from its bravura opening sequence (a violent robbery-murder on a crowded train) to its wrenching, beautifully-modulated closing shot. One of the discoveries of the year.

Synopsis:
Bruno, twenty. Sonia, eighteen. They live off Sonia's benefit and the thefts committed by Bruno and the kids in his gang. Sonia has just given birth to Jimmy, their child. How can Bruno become a father, being so carefree and living as he does for the present, solely concerned about the money from his deals?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:09 pm 

state of abysmal aafair!!i would think, even swades was better choice, nontheless the best though!

page 3, HKA were wonderfully good films

might as well send DUS BAHANE :lol: :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:00 pm 

arsh wrote:
state of abysmal aafair!!i would think, even swades was better choice, nontheless the best though!

Watch it Arsh bhai!!!! I enjoyed Dus!!!!!

I enjoyed Page 3, still not seen Hazaaron Khwahishen Aisi - will try and catch it on DVD soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:06 pm 

bhaskar wrote:
arsh wrote:

Watch it Arsh bhai!!!! I enjoyed Dus!!!!!

I enjoyed Page 3, still not seen Hazaaron Khwahishen Aisi - will try and catch it on DVD soon.

Thats why!! 8) I recommended it for OSCAR NOMINATION..lol :lol:

or might as well, MPKK as I did enjoy it too! :wink: :lol:

Last edited by Zoran009 on Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:32 pm 

to send any film other than ‘hka’ is a crime imo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:39 pm 

dvdisoil wrote:
The other films considered for the nomination were Mangal Pandey, Veer-Zaara, Iqbal, Swades, Parineeta, Page 3, Black, Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi, Sachein (Tamil), Anniyan (Telugu), Uttarayan (Marathi), Achuvante Anna (Malayalam), Graham (Telugu), and Kadal (Tamil).

Sachien? Anniyan? What the hell??? Namma aalunga :roll:

Kaadhal was pretty good, but not great. Certainly much better than some Indian films.

Swades would have been my pick. Haven't seen the others, though I plan to rent Paheli this week, to see if it is any good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:58 pm 

ya ‘kaadhal’ was definitely good, but wasn’t that a 2004 film?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:24 pm 

OMG!!!! i cant belive they will make paheli the entry i bet the oscar ppl will get out after the intervel, parineeta has a better chance then paheli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:34 pm 

Quote:

Sachein - Oscar should have a new category. Worst film of the world.

Guys, I think rediff didnt update their calendar and they thought its april fool. If this is true, its shame to Oscar to even accept nomination from india.

If its false (which is the case with most of rediff and sify news) then its good for oscar.

BTW I saw SRK and Rani in a song sequence shooting in Jersey City today. Another SRK-Rani movie on the pipe. I wanted to ask 2 questions to each of them. If I had known this news before, I would have told him so that he can jump into the hudson river!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:36 pm 

of all the movies listed here Achuvante Amma (spelled Achuvante Anna) is good movie and has good songs and BGM - So IR should get oscar for that!:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:12 am 

I hoped for SWADES or RAINCOAT so badly. :cry:

No nomination next year either thus...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:42 am 

dvdunlimited wrote:
Quote:

Sachein - Oscar should have a new category. Worst film of the world.

Guys, I think rediff didnt update their calendar and they thought its april fool. If this is true, its shame to Oscar to even accept nomination from india.

If its false (which is the case with most of rediff and sify news) then its good for oscar.

BTW I saw SRK and Rani in a song sequence shooting in Jersey City today. Another SRK-Rani movie on the pipe. I wanted to ask 2 questions to each of them. If I had known this news before, I would have told him so that he can jump into the hudson river!

LOL... i think its just a joke or someone vijay fan just joked to some rediff source.

I mean it was a cute film and i enjoyed it but it was truly horrible from a cinematic point of view. :D

btw, anniyan is a much better film than kadhal...which was good to watch but just the same old meaningless love film. anniyan was at least different and had a message.. and good production values. I'm not saying anniyan is oscar worthy or anything, but it was a way better film than kadhal in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:45 am 

dvdunlimited wrote:
of all the movies listed here Achuvante Amma (spelled Achuvante Anna) is good movie and has good songs and BGM - So IR should get oscar for that!:)

I'm still trying to somehow watch it. How did you watch it?