It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 9:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:05 pm 

Aryan wrote:

Of course there's the usual between blacks and whites in the west. You get so much blatant white bashing by blacks on TV, and never the other way round. It's just weird.

I don't think the above situation is so wierd when you consider the terrible history between the two groups, when one group did much more than verbally bash the other for hundreds of years. It also isn't so wierd since blacks are still being economically and culturally bashed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:33 am 

PLEASE don't make my comments into a south/north Indian problem. My comments were strictly about movies, nothing else.

Few examples are Aiswarya Rai and Amithabh Bachan. How can anyone explain aiswarya rai becoming the ambassador of Indian films when she can't act for jack shit? Indian cinema = Aiswarya Rai and Amithabh Bachan to outsiders. Its a fact.

There maybe a ADOOR GOPALA KRISHNAN but how many people know adoor gopalakrishnan??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:11 am 

I couldn't care less if regional movies were appreciated by outsiders or not. As long as they make good films and maintain their cultural identity, it doesn't matter if outsiders like it or not.

Quote:
In any case, the politically incorrect reason (at least partly) why regional films do not attract as big an audience is that regional actors/stars seldom have the international appeal of Bollywood ones, who are very street-smart, are in-tune with international trends, speak good English (it helps!) and have loads of sex appeal. These might be shallow factors, but that's the world we live in.

Basically bollywood actors are city/foreign bred, while most regional actors are born and raised in modest locations. It's got nothing to do with North/South.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:00 am 

While Chinese, Korean, and Japanese films are getting attention in all over the world its sad to see Indian films are not getting the appreciation or attention it deserves. Indian films to outsiders are just Bollywood when Regional films of India can beat any other films in Asia. Bollywood is full of gimmicks and remakes, how can we expect these films to get any attention from other media.

I would love to see more of our Indian films getting the premier shows in Sundance festivals and getting invitations to Cannes and other festivals across the globe. Only way for this to happen is getting the regional films out there. There are many great Hindi films but they are also not getting any attention because it doesn't have any Aiswarya rai or amithab bachan. It is just a sad sight.

Post subject: punjabi hindi
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:28 pm 

Gadar (Deol) is a happy-ending rehash of punjabi movie Shaheed-e-Mohabbat (Gurdas Maan).

Post subject: guru chela
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:53 pm 

N Chandra's Ankush is a rehash of his one-time "guru" Gulzar's Mere Apne.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:14 am 

Just read Khalid Mohammad's article in Hindustan Times today:

SHAKTI is a remake of an Ashok Kumar starrer SANGRAM. The latter was reportedly banned because of the "father-killing-son" aspect.

The original Parineeta too was an Ashok Kumar production. "We have no idea who has the copyright to papa's films... or who has the authority to issue the remake rights. Who has the film negatives?" laments Ashok Kumar's daughter, Bharati Jaffrey.

BTW, the posters of SANGRAM were quite "hot" 8) -- Ashok Kumar lying on the sands, bare-chested, with a girl in swimsuit (Nalini Jayawant) on his side.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:45 pm 

Mehrban - Swarg

Deewar - Andolan

Mera Gaon Mera Desh - Sholay

Avtaar - Baghban

Blackmail (old) - Humraaz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:27 pm 

1970 film Kati Patang based on Gulshan Nanda novel of the same name.

1996 Hollywood film Mrs. Winterbourne (Brandan Fraser, Shirley Mclaine, Directed by Richard Benjamin) has the same story, plot and events with minor alterations. But, End Credits Say, "based on novel I Married A Dead Man by Cornell Woolrich".
I wonder when was this novel written ? Before or after Gulshan Nanda's Kati Patang ??

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117104/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:41 pm 

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/01 ... JB6WQ19XBE
Quote:
By Sam Sattler (Spring, Texas)
This review is from: I Married a Dead Man (The Best Mysteries of All Time) (Hardcover)
The first version of I Married a Dead Man appeared as a novella in the April 1946 issue of Today's Woman. By 1948, when the book was published under the pseudonym William Irish, Cornell Woolrich had expanded his novella and completely rewritten its ending, resulting in a fine American Noir novel that has been filmed at least three times. The best known movie version of I Married a Dead Man is the 1950 film starring Barbara Stanwyck for which the title was changed to No Man of Her Own. The movie is an excellent representation of the film noir of the period although it was somewhat weakened by the studio's decision to use the original ending of the novella rather than the stronger, more compelling, ending of the novel itself.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:47 am 

Kuttappan wrote:
How about some priyan films :) He remade classic films from mohan lal to Hindi.
5) Kilukkam (One of the best comedy films every created on Earth - Mohan lal and Jagathy were at their comedic best) - Doli sajakhe rakhana

I think "Kilukkam" was remade as "Muskurahat" in hindi and "Aniyathipravu" was remade as "Doli saja ke rakhna." Priyadarsan also ends up putting at least one of the malayalam comedy actors that he normally works with, into his hindi movies. I've noticed this quite a few times starting with Innacent in Doli saja ke rakhna.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:00 pm 

Kuttappan wrote:
How about some priyan films :) He remade classic films from mohan lal to Hindi.

U may as well add Manichitrathazhu - Bhool Bhulaiyaa

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:34 am 

sengh_15 wrote:
U may as well add Manichitrathazhu - Bhool Bhulaiyaa
or chandramukhi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:46 pm 

1. Jaane tu ya jaane na - Niram (Malayalam)
2. Hulchul - Godfather (Malayalam)

Even though JTYJN is remade from Niram, I liked JTYJN better, and it wasn't a blatant lift; just the foundation of the story was intact from Niram. Otherwise, the hindi version was slick and fresh throughout.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:26 pm 

I just love this thread.

I saw the malayalam "Kadha Parayumbol" yesterday. What an amazing movie. The script is awesome and Sreenivasan is still an amazing writer. The movie is being remade as "Billo Barber" with Irfan Khan and Shah Rukh. I think SRK also decided to produce it.