It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:30 pm 

Aadesh Shrivastav

Aadesh Shrivastav no more

Sorry, he passed away just two days after news of his illness came out.
Hope, he saw 1st day Box Office results of his big film, "Welcome Back" which has done very well.

Quote:
Just read the news that Music Director Adesh Shrivastava has Cancer and is not responding to Chemotherapy.

Quote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.in/2015/09/03 ... a&ir=India

Doctors treating music composer Aadesh Shrivastava, who has been fighting cancer, have stopped giving him chemotherapy. Aadesh, 48, has been in the Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital in Andheri for the last 44 days for treatment.

“He has been undergoing chemotherapy but he is not responding to it. So, the doctors have stopped giving him chemotherapy. They have an alternate theory. The doctors are trying to do their best and Aadesh is fighting it bravely,” Aadesh’s brother-in-law and composer Lalit Pandit told PTI. His colleagues from the industry including megastar Amitabh

Perhaps, his illness was the reason that not many films have released recently, with his music ?? Anyway, one big film with his music is releasing Tomorrow - Welcome Back.

We wish him all the best.

Quote:
http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/news/16 ... av-no-more

By Bollywood Hungama News Network, September 05, 2015 - 10:05 hrs IST
#

Just last week we had reported that singer and music composer Aadesh Shrivastava had been hospitalized after suffering from a relapse of cancer. Sadly the musician, best known for his work in films like Chalte Chalte, Baghban, Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham etc, who had been in a critical condition, passed away at Kokilaben Hospital on Saturday at around 12.30 AM.

Commenting on his demise, hospital authorities stated that Aadesh had been battling the disease for over 40 days; however his condition had become very critical in the last few days.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:50 am 

Mohan Bhandari passed away on 25-Sep-2015 :-(

http://indianexpress.com/article/entert ... sses-away/

Post subject: Re: The Departed: Hemant
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:16 am 

Legendary singer Asha Bhosle’s younger son and music composer Hemant breathed his last on September 28. He had been battling with cancer for long and was in Scotland in his last days. This is Asha Bhosle’s second loss in three years as her daughter Varsha had committed suicide in 2012. Varsha was suffering from depression and was under psychiatric treatment for the same. - See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/entert ... 7xjAq.dpuf

Hemant was a music director with songs like “Jage jage nainon mein” and “Nazrana Pyar Ka” to his credit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:03 pm 

Ravindra Jain is no more.

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/legendar ... al-1230310

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:01 pm 

Labh Janjua passed away.
"Singer Labh Janjua, the voice behind hits such as Mundian To Bach Ke and Jee Karda, was reportedly found dead at his residence in Goregaon, Mumbai today. He was 57."
http://movies.ndtv.com/music/bollywood- ... nt-1235224

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:52 am 

Saeed Jaffrey has died at the age of 86. He, OBE was an Indian-born actor who has appeared in numerous British and Indian movies. He was born in Malerkotla, Punjab in a Punjabi Muslim family :(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:46 am 

RIP, Sadhana.
https://t.co/NO7uotsfPX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:24 pm 

Ragz wrote:

Sad, very sad.

Quote:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ente ... um=twitter

Actress Sadhana Shivdasani passes away

Kiran Kaur | TNN | Dec 25, 2015, 12.48 PM IST

Veteran actress Sadhana Shivdasani passed away today morning. The actress who completed 74 years of age this September, was reportedly admitted to the Hinduja hospital. Fans and admirers of the actress have taken to social media to express their remorse. ​The actress was detected with a tumor and had been battling cancer for a very long time. In December last year, the lady underwent an emergency surgery for a bleeding oral lesion. A close family friend and BJP city spokesperson Shaina N.C. confirmed the news to IANS saying, "​Sadhana breathed her last at her home this morning."

Shivdasani featured in numerous films through her career. Her fame to claim being 'Love In Simla'. She also appeared in popular films like 'Parakh,' 'Hum Dono,' 'Shree 420,' 'Mere Mehboob,' 'Waqt' and 'Woh Kaun Thi.' More than her films, however, the actress is till date remembered for the legendary front bangs she sported, a hair cut which is now commonly referred to as the Sadhana cut. The bangs were, in fact supported by the actress in order to cover her unusually large (as she thought) forehead.

Our prayers and condolences with the actress' family. May her soul rest in peace!

Quote:
http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/news/16 ... -in-Mumbai
Yesteryear actress Sadhana passes away in Mumbai

By Bollywood Hungama News Network, Dec 25, 2015 - 18:10 hrs IST

Veteran actress Sadhana, a popular actress of the 60s and 70s breathed her last in Mumbai today morning. Reportedly, she was battling with cancer for a long time and was even admitted to Hinduja hospital recently.

From what we hear, the body of the former actress was taken to her residence in Mumbai and many of her yesteryear actress colleagues like Waheeda Rehman visited her place to pay their last respects.

Born in a Sindhi family, Sadhana aka Sadhana Shivdasani debuted in Bollywood with the 1960 film Love in Simla. While she is known for films like Hum Dono, Ek Musafir Ek Hasina, Mere Mehboob, Woh Kaun Thi, Mera Saaya among others, she also gained popularity tremendously in the world of Indian fashion with a special fringe hairstyle which is still known as the 'Sadhana cut'.

We at Bollywood Hungama pay our condolences to this veteran actress. May her soul rest in peace.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:32 pm 

Quote:
http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/movies/ ... ew/id/9476

Sadhana: Memories of an Icon
By Rajiv Vijayakar, Dec 26, 2015 - 11:36 IST

She was a strange mixture of the chilled-out and the no-nonsense woman of substance. Sadhana-Sadhana Nayyar to give her full name-was an interviewer's delight, if one could ever get to sit with her and go through her memoirs. And this writer was among those very lucky few who got that opportunity after the actress quit films.

There was the fire and twinkle in the eyes that fans and associates alike must have adored at her peak, the grace and stately carriage associated with a true-blue enigmatic huge and trendsetting star, and loads of humour.

Yes, she was past 70, but that was inconsequential. The lady who made her debut in a secondary lead in India's first-ever Sindhi film Abana (1958) and went on to make her lead debut in S. Mukerji's Love In Simla (1960) was completely clued into contemporary Hindi cinema when I met her in 2011.

Candidly, she had stated that she loved Salman Khan for the "kind of larger-than-life quality that heroes of my time had", Shah Rukh Khan for "his true-blue star quality" and Aamir Khan "for his hard work at becoming the character he was portraying". She had also declared that Madhuri Dixit-Nene was the last female icon and that 3 Idiots was one of the finest films she had ever watched. Sadhana had also lavishly praised its lyrics and termed the music of Dabangg as the most refreshing score she had heard in a long, long while!

The Dazzling Star

The classic and fragile beauty romanced by fellow iconic and other big stars of her times had only nine flops in her tally of 29 lead films! Most of these were her post-1970 delayed and fragmented releases like Chhote Sarkar, Amaanat, Mehfil (in which she romanced a young Anil Dhawan after Jeetendra was dropped for "market reasons"!) and her last film, Ulfat, which was launched in the early '70s but hit the marquee as Ulfat Ki Nayi Manzilein in 1994!

On the other hand, her massive hits and memorable successes included Asli Naqli, Parakh, Hum Dono, Ek Musfair Ek Haseena, Mere Mehboob, Rajkumar, Arzoo, Waqt and her tryst with dual roles in two Raj Khosla-directed suspense thrillers, Woh Kaun Thi? and Mera Saaya. In the late '60s, when she suffered from hyperthyroidism, she was treated abroad and later gave hits like Inteqam (her bold home production) and Ek Phool Do Mali, and successes like Sacchai, Aap Aaye Bahaar Ayee and Geeta Mera Naam (for which she even took the credit for direction in times when a female director was virtually unknown, though the ghost-director was her husband R.K. Nayyar!)

The actress worked with names like Bimal Roy, Hrishikesh Mukherjee, H.S. Rawail, Yash Chopra, Vijay Anand and Ramanand Sagar, but considered Raj Khosla special and also enjoyed working with "the young and enthusiastic Manmohan Desai" and "Nayyar-saab, my stylized director husband."

Her favourite co-stars were Shammi Kapoor and Rajendra Kumar, and she made the point that in an era when there were virtually no multi-heroine films made, she had readily worked with Nanda (Hum Dono), Sharmila Tagore (Waqt) and Waheeda Rehman (Ulfat Ki Nayi Manzilein)!

The Lovely Person

A casual handshake with a personality that emitted an aura-that was my first memory of the actress to whom I was introduced at her Khar bungalow when her husband had launched a television musical show way back in 1996. All attempts since to pin her down for an interview persistently failed. She was not giving interviews, said her PR.

The tide changed when she came out of her shell to receive a 'Lifetime Achievement' award abroad. She was seen momentarily on television, so I renewed my efforts. There was a way, said the PR person-get to meet her at a club where she went to play Bridge every evening, where noted filmmaker Arjun Hingorani, who had introduced Dharmendra, would put in a word as he had been chief AD in her Sindhi debut.

The ploy worked, and the fact that she had just won a game of Bridge had ensured a great mood. She had guests and our meeting would take a week more, she said. It took a month, but was worth it.

The stylish decor in her old bungalow, with tea and biscuits surfacing minutes after entry, and the actress' broad smile all showed that the good old '60s charisma was untouched.

"I had always wanted to do films, and my parents had no objection," she had said. "In Mumbai, I studied in Jai Hind College and was noticed in a college play by director Deepak Asha, who was making the first-ever Sindhi film. I got to play heroine Sheila Ramani's younger sister in that film, Abana."

The actress then applied for an advertisement that the studio baron S. Mukerji wanted new faces. After a year of training, she was cast opposite his debut-making son Joy Mukerji in Love In Simla, a major hit in 1960.

Like Asha Parekh in particular, Sadhana was known for her brilliant songs from an assortment of giant composers like Shankar-Jaikishan, Laxmikant-Pyarelal (who also did her home productions even after she quit acting), S.D. Burman, Naushad, Salil Chowdhury, Kalyanji-Anandji, Jaidev, Ravi, O.P. Nayyar and Madan Mohan. Her track-record made her mentor feel that she had a great musical acumen and he would actually summon her to gauge the tunes made by another of his protégés, composer Usha Khanna!

Sadhana's love life began with her debut film and her first director R.K. Nayyar fell in love with her. Sadhana remembers that her parents objected as she was under-age. Years later, Raj Kapoor wanted to watch one of Sadhana's mega-hits, Mere Mehboob and asked Nayyar, who had been his assistant, if he could manage a special screening. That is how they met again. "We were back to where we had left off. This time my parents supported me, and in 1966, we got married," the actress had said.

The actress was refreshingly candid about how she became a fashion icon. "My forehead was very broad and that stood out when a new camera had arrived at S.Mukerji's office and they had taken a lot of photographs of everyone," she had recalled. Instead of the conventional way out of sticking a patch of hair on the forehead, her husband mentioned that Audrey Hepburn had the same problem and so she would cut her hair in a fringe. "I did that and to date it is known as the 'Sadhana cut'!"

Sadhana was five-feet-seven, and also could not afford to wear heels, she laughs. "Once Raj (Khosla)- ji was shocked when he told me to remove my heels in a sequence and I told him that I wasn't wearing any! With heels and the kind of bouffant that was the trend then, I would have been six feet plus!"

The actress also made the churidar-kurta a rage. "In Waqt, it came across as a modern style that was not necessarily a Muslim outfit," she recalls.

The actress remains matter-of-fact about her beauty, which also made her quit when she was at the top. "I know I looked lovely. So I avoid being photographed now. I could have kept going, doing bhabhi and motherly roles, but if you check, you will find that I am the only actress of my generation who never made a comeback."

As the cliche goes, legends go down, but, only in history.

Quote:
http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/news/16 ... na's-death

Waheeda Rehman breaks down on Sadhana's death
By Subhash K. Jha, Dec 26, 2015 - 11:15 hrs IST

"She spoke to me two days ago. I had just seen Bajirao Mastani and she wanted to know all the details. And now she's gone. She's the second dear friend I've lost this year after Nanda. And the strangest thing is, Nanda passed away on 25 March. Sadhana too died on the 25th. That is scary.

I guess one goes when one has to. Sadhana was a very dear friend. Like Nanda, Sadhana was a recluse. We could speak our minds and hearts to each other without fear.

She was a fighter and spent most of her life struggling against odds. She had a terrific career when she fell ill with a thyroid problem. She was married but had no children. She didn't get much happiness in life. We only did one film together. We shared a friendship far removed from the profession. I will miss her."
Quote:
http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/news/16 ... on-Sadhana

Asha Parekh remembers Sadhana
By Subhash K. Jha, Dec 26, 2015 - 10:21 hrs IST

"Sadhana's going away so suddenly has shaken me. I had gone to meet her a few weeks ago. She was not well and she was fighting her illness. Sadhana was one of bravest women I knew. We were very close friends. And we-Sadhana, Waheeda Rehman and I would meet for dinner and movies regularly.

Lately, she was besieged by problems. She was fighting five court cases for the custody of her home. Can you imagine this ill aging woman who never liked to be seen in public, all alone with fat files standing up in court all alone? Once she had fractured her leg and had to meet the Police Commissioner. She went to his office. He had to come down and meet her because she couldn't climb up.

Waheeda and I wanted to meet her more often, just be there for her. But, she would not want us to interrupt our routine for her problems. Sadhana had a brilliant innings as an actress. Her career was interrupted by her illness which damaged her eyes. When she got married, she didn't want to work anymore. The work that she did in Hum Dono and Mere Mehboob would live forever."

---------------------------------------------------------------

APPALLING
Quote:
Lately, she was besieged by problems. She was fighting five court cases for the custody of her home. Can you imagine this ill aging woman who never liked to be seen in public, all alone with fat files standing up in court all alone?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:20 am 

powerhouse of talent -- Rajesh Vivek -- passes away at 66 (heart attack).

Filmography includes Lagaan, Swades, Junoon, Bandit Queen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:34 am 

Filmmaker Anil Ganguly no more. He died at the age of 82.

Kora Kagaz (1974) and Tapasya (1975) with Jaya.
Saaheb (1985) with Anil Kapoor.

Then several action films with Mithun.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:38 am 

I think we missed this news:
October 2015: Legendary Tamil actress Manorama dies at 78
Affectionately called "Aachi" (mother), Manorama began her career as a stage artiste and acted in several hundreds of dramas.
http://indianexpress.com/article/entert ... ies-at-78/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:42 pm 

newDEEP [go-green] wrote:
Filmmaker Anil Ganguly no more. He died at the age of 82.

Kora Kagaz (1974) and Tapasya (1975) with Jaya.
Saaheb (1985) with Anil Kapoor.

Then several action films with Mithun.

Tapasya was with Rakhee wasn't it? I did like some of the old Anil Ganguly films, Saaheb is one of my favs despite being a remake. I also remember really like Pyar Ke Kabil as a kid! Sad news.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:56 am 

Yes Tapasya was with Rakhee, and I loved that movie.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:52 pm 

newDEEP [go-green] wrote:
Yes Tapasya was with Rakhee, and I loved that movie.

I also liked Humkadam..........something about those old films that you just don't get nowadays!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 32  Next