It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:20 am 

Manorama
Quote:
http://publication.samachar.com/pub_art ... machar.com

Yesteryears' actress Manorama dead

Indo-Asian News Service
Mumbai, February 15, 2008
Yesteryears' actress Manorama, known for her comic and negative roles, died in Mumbai on Friday. She was last seen in Deepa Mehta's Oscar nominated "Water".

The portly woman with exaggerated eyelashes and expressions was popularly known for roles like the wicked aunt in "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Ek Phool Do Maali" and "Do Kaliyan".

However, she is also said to have worked as a heroine in quite a few movies when she started her acting career in Lahore (now in Pakistan) over six decades ago, according to one of her former colleagues.

She married Raja Naqsar, also an actor. The couple migrated to Mumbai after partition in 1947 where Raja became a producer.

She could often drive audiences into splits by her mere presence. She later appeared in a couple of TV serials.

Almost forgotten by the industry, Manorama surprised many when she appeared in "Water" as the head of a widow's ashram in Varanasi. The film, set in the early 20th Century, revolved around the plight of widows in India forced into isolation and often prostitution.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:15 pm 

http://www.hindu.com/2008/02/28/stories ... 921100.htm

Prolific Tamil writer Sujatha passes away
Staff Reporter
His lucid prose drew thousands of youths to literature

CHENNAI: Sujatha, one of the most prolific writers of contemporary Tamil literature, passed away in a private hospital here late Wednesday after a brief illness. He was 72.

Pen name

S. Rangarajan, who wrote under the pen name, Sujatha, was known for his versatility in writing. He had a way with words, whether it meant writing short stories, science fiction, plays, pieces on history or screenplay for films.

He played a significant role in taking information on trends in science and technology to the common man through his simple articles.

An engineer, Sujatha was instrumental in designing and producing the Electronic Voting Machine when he was working with Bharat Electronics.

His columns for Tamil weeklies such as Ananda Vikadan, Kumudam and Kalki were widely read and fetched him numerous fans in all age groups. He had drawn thousands of youngsters to Tamil literature with his lucid and engaging style.

Born at Triplicane, Chennai, Sujatha had an exciting childhood at Srirangam, near Tiruchi, where he grew up under the care of his paternal grandmother.

After his schooling at the Boys High School, Srirangam, he pursued his bachelor’s degree in physics at St. Joseph’s College, Tiruchi, where he and former president Abdul Kalam were classmates.

He then did his engineering in electronics at the Madras Institute of Technology.

Many of his pieces reflected his academic background, especially those of the science fiction genre.

All the same, his writing was very accessible to all kinds of readers.

Informative

Playwright Crazy Mohan, who visited the writer recently, said, “He is one of the most multi-faceted writers in Tamil. His writing was terrific, consistent and extremely informative. He could write just about anything with amazing ease. Sujatha was certainly a genius.”

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:57 am 

He created a tamil dictionary for all IT/Computer buzz words first (e.g. Computer=Kanipori) and eventually used his own tamil terms in his tamil novels. most of Tamil IT buzz words are still mainly created by him. I have seen and won award for some IT presentation during my "black hair" days. Very intellectual. When he was in college all of us (including myself) started talking in english (?) but he was the guest speaker and shook us with his excellent tamil.

Greatly admired by Kamal and Shankar and used in their movies a lot!

Great loss to Tamil literature.

I saw his latest interview in Vijay TV. He mentioned that he is 73, getting old, and prefer not to travel around and work in movies and only accept movies that he thinks he has a role to pay, rather others cant do justification and shivaji is one of them! the interviewer ended by saying "72 old youngster sujatha".

he also mentioned that he studied in same college where President Abdul Kalaam studied and they both selected different path! Man... great loss.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:23 am 

bgee wrote:
Greatly admired by Kamal and Shankar and used in their movies a lot!

Mani Ratnam used him as a dialogue writer as well. I think he wrote the story-screenplay for Robot (Iyanthira), which is the next Shankar film.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:50 pm 

Raghuvaran passes away

IndiaGlitz [Wednesday, March 19, 2008]

Raghuvaran, a distinguished character artiste, passed away in Chennai this morning (March 19). He was admitted to Mehtha Hospital for treatment a few days ago. The reason for the death has been disclosed as weakness caused by excessive alcohol consumption. It is learnt that he had been under intensive medical care for the past few weeks.

Kollywood Pays Homage To Raghuvaran

Raghuvaran, born in December 11, 1948, has acted in several Tamil, Malayalam, Telugu, and Hindi films. Most of his roles were of a villain or a supporting actor. He has also acted as a hero in a few movies.

Though he has acted in several films, he shot to fame with his role as the protagonist of a Tamil soap opera, 'Oru Manidhanin Kadhai' (One Man's Story), about the agony of a well-to-do man who becomes an alcoholic.

Unfortunately, the drug addiction cast its shade in his real life too. His wife Rohini too divorced him due to his addiction. They have a son Rishi.

Though Raghuvaran tried to rid his habit and tried to lead life on normal terms, the addiction did not leave him alone.

'Anjali', 'Batsha', Puriyatha Puthir, and 'Mudhalvan' are some of the films in which he had rendered outstanding performances. He has acted in many of Rajini’s films including his latest film 'Sivaji - The Boss'. Though he had gradually reduced the number of films in recent years, he had three releases lined up in 2008, 'Bheemaa', 'Ashoka', and 'Silanerangalil'. He had also acted as Dhanush's father in ‘Yaradi Nee Mohini’, which is yet to be released.
My deepest condolences on the death of this versatile actor.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:21 am 

He was a fab actor -- great talent - Raghuvaran. Farewell...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:53 pm 

Charleton Heston Passes Away.
Quote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7332960.stm
Page last updated at 17:47 GMT, Sunday, 6 April 2008 18:47 UK

Ben-Hur star Charlton Heston dies

Heston won an Oscar for his starring role in Ben-Hur

Charlton Heston, who won a best actor Oscar for his starring role in the epic Ben-Hur, has died aged 84, a spokesman for his family has said.

Heston died on Saturday at his home in Beverly Hills. His wife Lydia, whom he married in 1944, was at his side.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:28 am 

rana wrote:
Quote:

Charlton Heston, who won a best actor Oscar for his starring role in the epic Ben-Hur, has died aged 84, a spokesman for his family has said.

Heston died on Saturday at his home in Beverly Hills. His wife Lydia, whom he married in 1944, was at his side.

thats sad :( I love to watch ten commandments any time it is on!

Post subject: Now Shomu!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:05 pm 

Kajol And Tanishaa´s Father Shomu Mukherjee Is No More
- Abid
It could not have been a bigger tragedy than this for Kajol, her sister Tanishaa, mother Tanuja and of course Ajay Devgan.

A day after her husband Ajay Devgan's directorial debut venture 'U, Me Aur Hum' had its grand premiere and about a day before it is scheduled for a global release, Kajol (and Tanishaa's) father Shomu Mukherjee left for his heavenly abode early today.

Whether he is celebrity or not? loss for family. :(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:50 am 

imdb list does include quite a few films credited to Shomu Mukherjee for Producer, Director, Writer but none for Acting. I think, he did act in main role in a few films ??

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:10 am 

rana wrote:
imdb list does include quite a few films credited to Shomu Mukherjee for Producer, Director, Writer but none for Acting. I think, he did act in main role in a few films ??

So he does qualify to be part of this thread I guess? :(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:22 am 

Zoran009 wrote:
rana wrote:

So he does qualify to be part of this thread I guess? :(

Definitely.

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mukherjee-Samarth_family
Mukherjee-Samarth family

The Mukherjee-Samarth family has been involved in the Indian Bollywood film industry since the 1940s. The Mukherjee family was connected to the Samarth family by Tanuja's marriage to Shomu Mukherjee in 1973.

The Mukherjees

The Mukherjee family are a Bengali family that was said to be headed by Sashadhar Mukherjee (S. Mukherjee), described as the founder of Filmistan studios (and also Filmalaya). [1]. His three sons, Joy Mukherjee, Deb Mukherjee, and Shomu Mukherjee followed him into the industry. Joy and Deb were actors; Shomu became a director and producer.

Sashadhar Mukherjee, had a younger brother called Subodh Mukherjee who was a director. He died on 21 May 2005[2]. He is survived by his wife (Kamala), two sons (Subhash and Sanjay) and a daughter. [3]

Sashadhar had another brother, whose son Ram Mukherjee, is the father of the contemporary star actress Rani Mukerji. Ram is a film director and was the founder of Filmalaya Studios.

Sashadhar Mukherjee was married to Ashok Kumar’s sister.

Filmalaya Studios is currently owned by Shomu Mukherjee (Kajol's father), Ram Mukherjee (Rani's father), and Romu Mukherjee (Sharbani's father).

Last edited by rana on Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:37 pm 

Zoran009 wrote:
rana wrote:
Quote:

thats sad :( I love to watch ten commandments any time it is on!

I remember him mainly from the first 2 Planet of the Apes films and Ben-Hur. Last time I saw him on screen was in Bowling from Columbine, where he didn't come across well. You can either blame him or Michael Moore for that.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:11 am 

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:35 am 

Quote:
Producer Jhamu Sughand passes away

http://www.indiafm.com/news/2008/05/26/11459/index.html
By Bollywood Hungama News Network, May 26, 2008 - 15:31 IST

“For everything there is a season, like for everything there is a reason
For every break down there is a build up;
For every tear, there is a smile;
For every silence, there is a time to speak;
For every hate, there is a time for love
For every war, there is a time for peace
But for every Jhamu Sughand, there is …………

It is the fact of Bollywood that everything else can be replaced but not everyone. Jhamu Sughand happens to be one such man. It is indeed shocking to even think about it, but then, the fact remains that the inevitable has just happened. Bollywood's most prolific Producer Jhamu Sughandh, is no more. He embraced death in Juhu Hospital today at around 11.20am, due to brain haemorrhage.

Jhamu was responsible for producing films like Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam, Aks, Filhaal, Kaal Purush etc. His last project happens to be Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na, which also happens to be Aamir Khan's magnum opus gift for his nephew Imraan Khan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 32  Next