It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:48 pm 

This is one of the most tragic deaths I have heard recently. A great loss to the Indian film industry. May his soul rest in peace.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:36 pm 

L Vaidyanathan passed away. Apparently this happened in may, but I came to know only last week thru a friend of mine who is producing a movie and LV was the MD for that. I was told that the night before he was recording a song for a death situation in that movie.

http://www.hindu.com/2007/05/20/stories ... 071000.htm

He was the MD for Malgudi Days (TVSerial) and also for Hey Ram which eventually IR did due to KH-LV conflict. Hindu also mentioned that he is MD for Pesum Padam, but in the DVD the music was credited to IR. May be another KH-LV conflict?

LV is a very close friend of IR.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:58 am 

Please tell me this is a rumour .. has Dilip Kumar passed away :( Please tell me no ...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:03 am 

urbanlegend wrote:
Please tell me this is a rumour .. has Dilip Kumar passed away :( Please tell me no ...

Where did you hear about this? I quickly searched most of the leading newspapers from India as soon as I read your post to see for myself if this is true, but thankfully no one has reported it. Which is to my relief, moreso, IndiaFm is usually quick on producing "Breaking News" stories, and they haven't posted anything either. In any case, I also certainly hope this is just one bad rumor.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:31 am 

My inlaws told me .. damn idiots!

I knew that if such had happened all the leading newspapers/websites would have had something but I also found nothing .. thank god it was just a rumour.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:21 pm 

urbanlegend wrote:
My inlaws told me .. damn idiots!

I hope you edit this post before your wife and son see it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:24 pm 

Abdul Sulaiman Nadiadwala (Sajid Nadiadwala's father; Nadiadwala Grandson Entertainment) passed away:
Quote:
http://www.indiafm.com/news/2007/09/12/10097/index.html
By IndiaFM News Bureau, September 12, 2007 - 11:33 IST
Abdul Sulaiman Nadiadwala, father of film producer Sajid Nadiadwala, breathed his last yesterday. He had been pale and constantly complained of chest pain since last week, hence was admitted in Intensive Care Unit (ICU) in Criticare hospital. He passed away on Tuesday morning.

The who’s who of Bollywood were present for the funeral at the kabrastan in Yari Road to pay him respects; including the likes of Salman Khan, Sajid Khan, Boney Kapoor.

Nadiadwala Grandson Entertainment has been in the industry for over 50 years now. Suleman Nadiadwala had produced over 200 films starting from as early as 1955. Later Suleman Nadiadwala’s son, Sajid Nadiadwala, took over the administration of the family run production house and gave hits like Jeet, Judwa, Mujhse Shaadi Karogi and Heyy Babyy.

Nadiadwala name has been around for a very very long time. As the report says, Suleman Nadiadwala (& son Sajid Nadiadwala) produced over 200 films. As I recall from the 50s & 60s, there were quite a few films produced by Nadiadwala. Mostly stunt/ religeous films, I think.

Unfortunately, not much (if any) is credited to Sulaiman at imdb.
Does anyone recall the names of films produced by Sulaiman Nadiadwala or films in which he was involved in some capacity ??

Any clarification how, many of the Nadiadwala names of Indian Film Industry are related ??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:17 pm 

Satyen Kappu passes away
Quote:
http://www.indiafm.com/news/2007/10/28/10326/index.html
By IndiaFM News Bureau, October 28, 2007 - 10:57 IST
Actor Satyen Kappu passed away on Saturday (27th October) evening in Mumbai following a cardiac arrest. He was 76 and is survived by his wife and four daughters.

Quote:
http://www.indiafm.com/news/2007/10/29/10330/index.html
Satyen Kappu passes away, colleagues remember
By Subhash K. Jha, October 29, 2007 - 11:33 IST
Beginning in 1962 character-actor Satyen Kappu who passed away quietly and unsung on Saturday 27 October went on to do hundreds of films playing the kind father or the evil uncle. He was last seen in Raman Kumar's Sarhad Paar.

In his lifetime Kappu did hundreds of films. One of his most celebrated roles was that of Amitabh Bachchan's father in Yash Chopra's Deewaar. The disgraced baap in the tattoo 'Mere baap chor hai' on the protagonist's hand was Kappu. Big B and Kappu did many films together.

Says Big B, "God! It's really sad he's gone. Satyen Kappu was a fine human being. He was an actor of many qualities. But he never got his dues. I did so many memorable films with him including Deewaar, Raaste Ka Patthar, Benaam. Kasauti, Majboor, Zanjeer, Imaan Dharam, Kala Pathhar,Mr Natwarlal and Sholay. I feel very upset about his going."

Asha Parekh recalls Satyen as a thorough gentleman. "A fine human being. We were together in some films and as members of the Cine Artistes' Association where I was president and he was treasurer. I'd always ask him for gutka and he would smilingly oblige. He was always smiling. Lately, he suffered from ill health. He had a leg problem and couldn't walk. I wanted to go for his cremation. But couldn’t. I'll definitely visit his family."

Though in his later years Satyen could barely walk he continued to be active on television. He was seen in a couple of soaps by Aroona Irani.

Recalls Anupam Kher, "We were both late starters. He was a very good actor but didn't get his dues. We often ran into one another because we had a common secretary. Eventually, I lost track of his whereabouts. What I remember the most about him is his speech. He spoke very good and fluent Hindi. Another unsung hero from the fringes in our films."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:10 pm 

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/n/i/top_stories/2396/

S.D. Burman's wife Meera dead
By PTI
Oct 16, 2007, 04:50

Mumbai (PTI): Legendary music director Sachin Dev Burman's wife and renowned singer Meera Dev Burman, who was in the news recently for languishing at an old-age home here, died here on Monday after prolonged illness. She was 84.

"Pancham's (R D Burman) mother was seriously ill since the death of her husband, acclaimed music director S D Burman. Pancham took care of her till his death," Meera's daughter-in-law and noted playback singer Asha Bhosle told reporteres here.

"Her condition was deteriorating over the years due to advanced age and had to be frequently hospitalised. I had just brought her from Lilavati Hospital, two days ago, to her Santacruz home. She passed away at 0500 hours on Monday morning," Bhosle said.

Bhosle had shifted Meera to Sharan, an old-age home for rehabilitation of paraplegics in Mumbai's Vashi area, about seven months ago. However, Meera was moved out of there to R D Burman's house in September.

Meera Roy was born in Comilla in East Pakistan (now Bangladesh) in March 1923 and later settled in South-end Park in Kolkata. She was a music student of Amita Sen, who was trained in Rabindranath Tagore's Shantiniketan.

S D Burman, born in the royal family of Tripura, fell in love with Meera when he met her at the All India Music Conference in Allahabad in 1937. Meera become Burman's student and married him the same year. Burman died in 1975.

R D Burman died in 1994.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:03 pm 

Hey collector dude! that pic is from 2001 The space Odyssey man! Did you see BR dvd of this film yet..off topic though!

Btw I thought Puncham was married to Asha Didi! :?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:39 am 

NewDeep wrote:
Just heard...

Salute O' Great Sir.
May your soul rest in peace.

Quote:
Noted filmmaker G. P. Sippy passes away
http://www.indiafm.com/news/2007/12/26/10658/

By IndiaFM News Bureau, December 26, 2007 - 11:05 IST
Veteran Bollywood producer G.P. Sippy breathed his last on December 25 at night after prolonged illness. He was 93 years old.

Sippy, a scion of rich Sindhi family, started his career selling carpets and then moved on to the construction industry when the Bollywood bug bit him. His Bollywood career flagged off with the film Sazaa in 1951 and then he followed it up with popular films like Brahmachari, Andaz and Seeta aur Geeta.

However, G.P.Sippy is best remembered for producing one of the biggest blockbusters of Hindi cinema – the magnum-opus-Sholay, directed by his son Ramesh Sippy, which released in 1975 and went on to break many records thereafter.

His other noticeable films include Saagar, Aatish, Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman, Zamaana Deewana with his last film being Hamesha starring Saif Ali Khan and Kajol.

The prominent filmmaker was also the chairperson of the Film and Television Producers’ Guild of India (FTPGI) on four occasions from the 70’s to the 90’s.

Quote:
http://www.indiafm.com/celebrities/film ... index.html
Director
Bhai Bahen (1959) (Released)
Light House (1958) (Released)
Adil-E-Jahangir (1956) (Released)
Shrimati Four Two Zero (1956) (Released)
Chandrakant (1956) (Released)
Marine Drive (1955) (Released)

Producer
Hamesha (September 12, 1997) (Released)
Zamana Deewana (July 28, 1995) (Released)
Aatish (June 17, 1994) (Released)
Raju Ban Gaya Gentlemen (November 13, 1992) (Released)
Patthar Ke Phool (February 22, 1991) (Released)
Bhrashtachar (December 1, 1989) (Released)
Saagar (August 9, 1985) (Released)
Shaan (December 12, 1980) (Released)
Ahsaas (October 26, 1979) (Released)
Trishna (1978) (Released)
Sholay (August 15, 1975) (Released)
Seeta Aur Geeta (1972) (Released)
Andaaz (August 1, 1971) (Released)
Bandhan (1970) (Released)
Brahmachari (1968) (Released)
Mere Sanam (1965) (Released)
Sazaa (1951) (Released)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:42 am 

Quote:
http://in.movies.yahoo.com/news-detail/ ... -away.html
Amitabh's mother Teji Bachchan passes away
By indiabroadcast
Friday Dec 21 4:25 PM
New Delhi: Actor Amitabh Bachchan's 93-year-old mother Teji Bachchan passed away on Friday after prolonged illness.

She was in the Lilavati Hospital for almost the whole of this year and was shifted to the ICU last month after her condition became worse. Details of the cause of her demise were not immediately available.

On November 7, Teji Bachchan was shifted to the intensive care unit of Lilavati Hospital. Her condition was reported to be critical and a spokesperson for the hospital said her health had suddenly worsened.

A Sikh from Karachi, she is the wife of the late Hindi poet Harivansh Rai Bachchan. She is survived by her two sons Amitabh and Ajitabh.

The second wife of Harivansh Rai Bachchan, Teji was an amateur actor as well as a singer. Harivansh Rai, himself a renowned Hindi poet, died in 2003 at the age of 96.

Born as Teji Suri to Punjabi parents, she married Bachchan in 1941 after the death of his first wife. She was also close to the Nehru-Gandhi family while the Bachchan family was living in Delhi in the late 1950s.

Teji's illness had resulted in the Bachchan family curtailing celebrations at their Juhu residence for the past few years on occasions like Holi and Diwali.

Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai had visited her in the hospital prior to their wedding earlier this year to seek her blessings. All major family events were usually conducted
after seeking her blessings. Abhishek's high-profile wedding to actor and former beauty queen Aishwarya Rai in February this year had been kept low mainly due to Teji Bachchan's ill-health.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:37 am 

Quote:
http://publication.samachar.com/pub_art ... machar.com

Sonali Bendre's co-star, Kunal, commits suicide

By Bollywood Hungama News Network, February 7, 2008 - 17:41 IST

The chocolate-cutie hero, Kunal Singh, who is best known for his on-screen romance with Sonali Bendre in the film Dil Hi Dil Mein, committed suicide at his residence in Oshiwara. Though his Bollywood dreams did not take off big-time, he did star in some of the Bhojpuri and South Indian films too. The reason for his drastic step is yet to be uncovered.

A reliable source informs that, Kunal had a strained relationship with his wife, Anu and was never allowed to meet his two children. The 31-year old actor had been living with a struggling actress, Lavina ever since and apparently she was the first to see his body hanging from the ceiling on Thursday. She then immediately informed the security guard, who then, called the police. No suicide note was found.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:57 pm 

that is extremely sad! :( i was waiting for anamorphic dil hi dil main man!

It is finally available!

at barnes and noble

http://www.amazon.com/When-Hearts-Colli ... 399&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:40 pm 

Popular comedian Rajendra Nath dead

Quote:
Popular Hindi film comedian of yesteryears Rajendra Nath died in Mumbai on Wednesday evening after prolonged illness. He was 76.

The actor had been suffering from breathing problems for the last several days and his end came at his residence in suburban Khar.

He will be cremated on Thursday, family sources said.

Rajendra Nath began his career in 1938 with Hindi film 'Vachan' and went on to act in movies like 'Patanga', 'Hum Sab Chor Hain' and 'Dil Deke Dekho'.

His role of Popatlal in the 1961 box-office hit 'Jab Pyar Kisi Se Hota Hai' became a big hit and the title of Popatlal stuck to him.

Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh condoled the actor's death and said "Rajendra Nath regaled film lovers across generations with his typical sense of comic timing".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next