It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:40 pm 

DragunR2 wrote:
dvdunlimited wrote:
I was watching SunTV top10 today and this statement by IR is absolutely true. Kaatrinil Varum Geethamae(IR), Nalla VAzvhu Kidaikumbothu (IR), Mayiliragae (ARR) are at the bottom compared to Mazhai (varsham in telugu), Chanakyar (who is the MD?) and few other junk movies.

I liked the original Telugu songs in Varsham. Songs rarely sound good remade in another language, and Mazhai is no exception.

BTW, what is the criterion for Sun TV's top 10 songs?

Devi Sri Prasad is a force to reckon with! He is underrated, and underestimated. Varsham in telugu is fantastic. I wish I could say the same for Mazhai. I don't know why they changed the lyrics so much. Though I don't like the lyrics, I still like the album over-all. I wish Jassie Gift took Adnan Sami's place in the telugu album!!

Dragun: that's not true. Ilaiyaraaja's songs ALWAYS sound good, but might not convey the same message as the original & vise versa. Most of Mani Ratnam - ARR ones are good. Hindi Roja grew on me. I'm still not hot on HIndi Bombai, but whatever. I like Uyire. A lot of Mani Sharma dubbed to tamil tunes have crapped though :( compared to the originals. It's all about the production team!

Anyway, DU, whatever is happening is not happening. It's all in your head. IR & ARR will still be IR and ARR. If you actually listen to Devi Sri Prasad, you will like him, because you will see how he is heavily Influenced by IR, yet maintains his own identity!! He is fantastic. I like all his albums in the past ~5 Years. I don't like 2 or 3 songs maybe, but it's probably due to the poor dicision making by producers.

Regardless of what is on top, you just need to know that not every album can be a Dum Dum Dum, Alai Payuthey, Virumaandi, Varsham :) Etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:18 pm 

Varsham is good, but Varsham != Mazhai

DSP may be good in Telugu, but not in Tamil. In TFM, I would rate him along with srikanth deva, dhina and the like (3rd grade).

I know he is "heavily inspired" by IR in Telugu, but when comes to tamil, he tries to stay away from IR and makes the album worst. Unfortunately the lyrics also is not good for his songs, that makes it even worst.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:59 pm 

Yuvan wrote:
Devi Sri Prasad is a force to reckon with! He is underrated, and underestimated. Varsham in telugu is fantastic. I wish I could say the same for Mazhai. I don't know why they changed the lyrics so much. Though I don't like the lyrics, I still like the album over-all. I wish Jassie Gift took Adnan Sami's place in the telugu album!!

I think Langa Voni is the only Tippu song I like. Normally his voice sounds like a balloon stretching :)

Quote:
Dragun: that's not true. Ilaiyaraaja's songs ALWAYS sound good, but might not convey the same message as the original & vise versa. Most of Mani Ratnam - ARR ones are good. Hindi Roja grew on me. I'm still not hot on HIndi Bombai, but whatever. I like Uyire. A lot of Mani Sharma dubbed to tamil tunes have crapped though :( compared to the originals. It's all about the production team!

I haven't heard Hindi Roja in a while, but Kehna Hi Kya from Bombay sounds good, since it has a qawwali sound. Uyire is good except for Chaiyya Chaiyya. I agree about IR. Sagara Sangamam/Salangai Oli both sound good.

Quote:
Anyway, DU, whatever is happening is not happening. It's all in your head. IR & ARR will still be IR and ARR. If you actually listen to Devi Sri Prasad, you will like him, because you will see how he is heavily Influenced by IR, yet maintains his own identity!! He is fantastic. I like all his albums in the past ~5 Years. I don't like 2 or 3 songs maybe, but it's probably due to the poor dicision making by producers.

I've only heard a few of DSP's albums, but he uses the violin in a very melodic way at times that reminds me of IR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:07 pm 

I liked DSPs NN album in telugu and BGM for that movie. His tamil albums are not that great. I liked one or two songs from Sachein, rest was really bad. I don't like Mazhai album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:39 pm 

kchan wrote:
I liked DSPs NN album in telugu and BGM for that movie. His tamil albums are not that great. I liked one or two songs from Sachein, rest was really bad. I don't like Mazhai album.

what's NN? DSP, had become popular when he entered the industry by composing music towards low budget films, hence many 'soft' or romantic melodies, and folk type. then the big wigs caught onto him, and changed him into a masala man, which IMHO he also excells at, but sadly stuck in it at the moment except for a few albums.

While on DSP and dubbed albums, I think dubbed Manmadan song "Thithai Thithai" is much better in Telugu than Tamil mainly due to DSP's singing :D It's fantastic!! I saw the tamil video, which is also well done. It's good to see DSP singing for other MD's.

yeah, i'm not too crazy about Chayya Chayya in Tamil. Hell, I don't like "Thayya THayya" in Hindi (the 2nd version). I initially did not like Hindi Roja, but some of the lyrics are really good.

I don't know why there is always negative feedback on Deva. I like what he does. He is not great, but certainly entertaining.

BTW, you blame lyrcist, producer, director for bad lyrics :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:23 am 

NN - Nuvvostanante Nennodentaana (?)....man that was hard!

Didn't DSP do that album?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:14 pm 

kchan wrote:

yeah, thats his. "NVNV" is the common acronym for it. I don't know why. can't be any harder than tamil though :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:01 pm 

Yuvan wrote:
kchan wrote:

yeah, thats his. "NVNV" is the common acronym for it. I don't know why. can't be any harder than tamil though :!:

I read somewhere that the expansion of the title is "nuvvu vastanu ante nenu vaddu antana."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:35 pm 

DragunR2 wrote:
Yuvan wrote:
kchan wrote:

I read somewhere that the expansion of the title is "nuvvu vastanu ante nenu vaddu antana."

yes, but they forgot the question(?) marks :lol: it should be N.V.A(?)N.V.A? heh. thats what you get when you use popular song title as a movie title.

edit: I guess the conjugated acronym should be NVNV?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:40 pm 

From IR Yahoo group:

As you already know, Mr Rangaraj, Chennai Online, is in touch with top authorities and legal wing of Jaya TV as to how we can access Maestro's concert. They say that strictly in accordance with the Cable Act, which governs television and cable TV networks, any private recording is not permissible. In fact, they add that very soon more strict laws are on the way by which one cannot record anything at all from TV. These are already there in some countries, they point out.>>

> >

They are worried that from private recordings, it can go to the pirates. However, he is in touch with them regarding allowing at least Chennai Online readers/Yahoo group members to buy a DVD or VCD from them by a special arrangement through http://www.chennaionline.com. They are willing to consider this as a special case. This is of course on the basis of total trust and our credibility. However, this may get confirmed only after the telecast. >>

> >

Though most of us can view the programme on Jaya TV on Deepavali day, we cannot expect them to telecast the complete duration of the programme because it would run for 5 hours if telecasted unedited. Also, we will have lots of commercial advertisements in the breaks. So, if we really want to relish the programme, the best way is to order a DVD/VCD of the same through Chennai Online. The price is not announced yet and I guess it will be less if the number of orders is high. The orders can be received professionally through Chennai Online and money collected by credit card/online bank transaction. This can be passed on to Jaya TV by Chennai Online and the copies can be distributed to the individual members throughout the world by the latter.>>

> >

If we are ready to order this video, all that we have to do is to reply to this email mentioning whether you need a DVD or a VCD. Later, as soon as the shopping link is ready in http://www.chennaionline.com, we can place the orders as we do in any individual e-shopping portal. Any doubts in this will be cleared by Mr Rangaraj if you address the mail to our group with kind attention to his name.>>

> >

With this, I confirm that I will buy a DVD of the concert programme. Come on friends; let's join to get our right of playing His concert in our homes!>>

> >

> >

Yours Always Musically,>>

Vijay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:44 pm 

strict laws, my big foot!!

what laws? if the stupid laws were actually enforced, we wouldn't have piracy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:01 pm 

Yuvan wrote:
strict laws, my big foot!!
what laws? if the stupid laws were actually enforced, we wouldn't have piracy.

Yuvan, in TamilNadu, it is definitely improving, and hence the reason why Arindhum Ariyamalum, Kana Kandaen and few other movie ran for more than 100 days.

It would be impossible to get rid of it 100% but atlease big stores are worried about the raids (if they found pirated VCD/DVD/VHS, they can arrest in "Gunda Act" - which means non-bailable arrest).

I definitely think that this is a definite step forward.

Dragun

This is a great news. I will see if I can get DVDs for sale in USA. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:37 pm 

totally off topic, well almost totally off.

I'm listening to Swarabishekam (KViswanath & Vidyasagar) at the moment. I figured you guys might be interested in looking into this album, if you already haven't. heh, it just switched to another Viswanath/Ilaiyaraaja album. Viswanath ownz!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:15 am 

Guys i missed the telecast of Andrum, Indrum.... on Jaya TV ( being in India ..., my commitments just seems to have quadrupled and finding time is getting tougher and tougher !!!) - so now i am dependent on the DVD release of the function .., DU - can you keep us posted please on its potential release date :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:52 am 

when are you returning to the states?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next