It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:59 pm 

arsh wrote:
rana wrote:
rana wrote:
Different things click with different people.

But, my kids, 8 & 11 ------- Untill now, they consider Dhoom as the best film that ever came out of Bollywood. Above Veer Zaara, Main Hoon Naa etc.
Not only that, my 11 year old got her English speaking friends hooked to Dhoom videos as well, and eventually they all watched complete film on DVD more than once.

Other films that clicked with kids:
Shhhhhhhhhhhhh
Bhoot
Kuchh To Hai
Elaan
Vaada
Jurm
Khamoshh
Kismat

But, Not KAAL.

Went to see B&B in theatre.

Bunti Aur Babli didn't click with kids.
It was OK but not in the same category as above mentioned films. But better than Kaal.
Saving grace was lots of songs, though not very catchy ones except for one or two.
Paisa Vasool credit goes to Aishwarya item number.
-----------------------------------

Well, good or bad, B&B has another great weekend at US Box Office. 2nd weekend gross is over $ 170,000 US, bringing a US 10 day haul of over $ 670,000 US.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/
------------------
BTW as censors are considering ban on smoking on screen, do we expect lots of cuts from this film as well as many other films, new and old, that have smoking scenes??
-----------------------

Well LOL :lol: you have a good yard stick

I was just trying to justify that different things click with different people. Kids bring in same cash as do adults. One important exception: $ is 10 times more vs Rupee. See, how much has B&B collected so far in Rupees: it's over Rs 3.5 crore, just about same as biggest Box Office Territory in India.

arsh wrote:
On the other account, I'll agree that Aish is every single penny worth for $2 Canadians only!! :wink:

A bit more than that. Surprisingly Aish looks as good as in DAPK, Jeans etc, her early films. Big improverment over her recent looks in other films.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:06 am 

Rita wrote:
Gosh.. how I miss the Pal, NTSC, Telecine, Field Average Prog/Field Average info here that kept us intelligently informed! :lol: :wink:

Well, when only 3-4 films a year are worth discussing, what else is there to talk about? We gonna dissect Bunty aur Babli? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:22 pm 

rana wrote:
arsh wrote:
rana wrote:
rana wrote:
Different things click with different people.

But, my kids, 8 & 11 ------- Untill now, they consider Dhoom as the best film that ever came out of Bollywood. Above Veer Zaara, Main Hoon Naa etc.
Not only that, my 11 year old got her English speaking friends hooked to Dhoom videos as well, and eventually they all watched complete film on DVD more than once.

Other films that clicked with kids:
Shhhhhhhhhhhhh
Bhoot
Kuchh To Hai
Elaan
Vaada
Jurm
Khamoshh
Kismat

But, Not KAAL.

Went to see B&B in theatre.

Bunti Aur Babli didn't click with kids.
It was OK but not in the same category as above mentioned films. But better than Kaal.
Saving grace was lots of songs, though not very catchy ones except for one or two.
Paisa Vasool credit goes to Aishwarya item number.
-----------------------------------

Well, good or bad, B&B has another great weekend at US Box Office. 2nd weekend gross is over $ 170,000 US, bringing a US 10 day haul of over $ 670,000 US.
------------------
BTW as censors are considering ban on smoking on screen, do we expect lots of cuts from this film as well as many other films, new and old, that have smoking scenes??
-----------------------

Well LOL :lol: you have a good yard stick

I was just trying to justify that different things click with different people. Kids bring in same cash as do adults. One important exception: $ is 10 times more vs Rupee. See, how much has B&B collected so far in Rupees: it's over Rs 3.5 crore, just about same as biggest Box Office Territory in India.

arsh wrote:
On the other account, I'll agree that Aish is every single penny worth for $2 Canadians only!! :wink:

A bit more than that. Surprisingly Aish looks as good as in DAPK, Jeans etc, her early films. Big improverment over her recent looks in other films.

Rana!! Firstly I agree with Dragun, that BNB is not worth that long stretched discussion. But if it full fills your personal criterias of CRITERION CLASSIC's discussion? or you dont have any thing better to do!? then Pls feel free to go on and on!..be my guests! Beat this trash to death as long as it lasts! :nopity:

I am moving on to Parineeta!

Second..imho, Traish ka kamina act was better than kajrara dance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:40 am 

arsh wrote:
Rana!! Firstly I agree with Dragun, that BNB is not worth that long stretched discussion. But if it full fills your personal criterias of CRITERION CLASSIC's discussion? or you dont have any thing better to do!? then Pls feel free to go on and on!..be my guests! Beat this trash to death as long as it lasts! :nopity:

Hahahaha - it's not worth long stretched discussion - Arsh bhai, you've posted over 20 posts in this topic!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:02 pm 

bhaskar wrote:
arsh wrote:

Hahahaha - it's not worth long stretched discussion - Arsh bhai, you've posted over 20 posts in this topic!!!!

No comments!! 20 are more than it deserved already for your fav S**** crapola! Man :wink:

Come and join us in Parineeta thread! see you there! Hadios amigo! :ffs:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:39 pm 

Any idea as to when the DVD is due for release?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:10 pm 

arsh wrote:
!

NOT FOR DISCUSSION. JUST FOR CURIOSITY:

:lol: Althopugh I myself (and kids) didn't like B&B anything above average (just time pass), and I'm not discussing merrits of the film, but what's mind boggling and enouraging from trade point of view is that B&B is emerging as one of the higher overseas grossers for Made In India films.

1) After 3rd weekend, it has grossed close to $ 820,000 US. That's more than Rs 4 crores.

TW LW Title (click to view) Studio Weekend Gross % Change Theater Count / Change Average Total Gross Cost* Week #

30 23 Bunty Aur Babli Yash $91,127 -46.6% 45 -6 $2,025 $819,147 - / - 3

Similar collections from UK.

This implies aprox Rs 15 crores after 3 weekends from overseas.

Compare this 15 crores already collected to the total grosees by the overseas mega grossers (I estimate B&B will end up with over 20 cr):

http://www.boxofficeindia.com/world.htm

Overeas grosses:

K3G 35 cr
Veer Zara 34 cr
Devdas 30 cr
KHNH 27 cr
KKHH 24 cr
DDLJ 21 cr
B&B ----
MHN 19 cr
HAHK Rs 18 cr
Mohabbatein 17 cr
DTPH 15 cr
Taal 14 cr
HSSH 14 cr

Other under 14 cr:
MSK 11 cr, Lagaan 10 cr, KMG 9 cr,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:11 pm 

dvdunlimited wrote:
B&B is very inferior version of Manirathnam's Thiruda Thiruda (which is FAR FAR better version than Catch me if you can!). If the director watched TT few more times and remembered the good points, B&B would have been much bigger hit.

TT is Mani's worst flick ever. I just remember that (Chandralekha?) song being pretty well shot for its time. CMIYC is one of Spielberg's best films - so there is no competition there for me. Either way, I found BB immensely likeable as a timepass film - I dunno why its getting so much flak here. It's got a whole bag of flaws and is technically very unpolished - but it's good clean fun - I'd rate it the same as TT; flawed but entertaining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:09 pm 

I wonder, why is this crap still being discussed. Come on guys there are far better films to discuss than this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:26 am 

Sanjay wrote:
I wonder, why is this crap still being discussed. Come on guys there are far better films to discuss than this.

Live long and prosper Sanjay!! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Blimey what crap this was.. I thought I’d watch a movie after had some time last weekend and ‘decided’ to watch B&B. 3/4 way through the movie I just couldn't be bothered to see it through to the conclusion. What shallow characters. What pointless story. What a waste of time. Yours truly going back into hibernation until the next time :lol:

Is there actually anything decent to watch these days?

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:02 pm 

ali wrote:
Blimey what crap this was.. I thought I’d watch a movie after had some time last weekend and ‘decided’ to watch B&B. 3/4 way through the movie I just couldn't be bothered to see it through to the conclusion. What shallow characters. What pointless story. What a waste of time. Yours truly going back into hibernation until the next time :lol:

Is there actually anything decent to watch these days?

Ali

:cry: Since your hibernation, bhaii, things have gone down the drain :evil: :( as it is with every thing from our good old world!!

only DD is consistent as he never made a quality film to succeed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:12 pm 

Rita wrote:
Yaar Sanjay, I agree it is a total crap!

arsh wrote:
Live long and prosper Sanjay!! 8)

I feel redeemed and am glad to know that it wasn't me losing my mind and/or taste but the film really is crap. I sincerely feel that the IQ of the average Indian audience has seriously detoriated in the last two decades or maybe they have just reduced themselves to the levels of the present day idiots in Bollywood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:02 pm 

It's amazing that Rani Mukherjee can get away with overacting so easily, when, if a Bebo or Amisha had delivered a similar loud performance, they would have received caustic criticism!!!

This ranks as one of Rani's top 10 poor performances in my eyes, but critics induct her into the 'Hall of fame for Female Comedians" - a breed that is indeed rare!

Sure, if changing your outfits every 20 seconds, coupled with loud melodrama constitutes 'good comedy', I suppose the likes of Utpal Dutt and Amol Palekar should bow in shame for their controlled and utterly likeable performances!

Recently, I watched Dharam Ji's hilarious Chupke CHupke, and I almost cried thinking about the blatant degradation of humor in Bollywood today.

Its sad that a good comedy in Gen-X equals husbands cheating on their wives for a semi-nude bimbette, loud dialogues and outfits (generally imitating Punjabis!), or a multi-starrer with five con men trying too hard to inspire laughs!!!!! Will we ever see another Golmaal, the late Hrishida's classic?! I think not! Perhaps the Munnabhai series comes the closest, but such gems are few and very very far!

Which brings me back to BnB....exactly what was so funny about this movie? Even the con-games were dull and soporific! Being a huge fan of ABhishek, I will also be the first one to mock his amateurish portrayal...he was so much better in the more subtly humorous scenes of Kuch Na Kaho!

Rani Mukherjee, as prev mentioned, was irritating....she and Abhi make a nice pair, but they also try too hard to pass off as the next Jaya and Amitabh! And what was up with her manly moves and his 'no moves' (lolz) in Nach Baliye! :roll: I'd rather see her with Vivek Oberoi!

Amitabh is forgettable!

I am no fan of Ash, but this movie was so horrible that Kajra Re was the best thing for me! lolzzz...but, please, learn to emote while dancing lady...she is simply so wooden, although she moves brilliantly (*sigh..wish Madhuri had performed this number though*)!

In fact, the songs were the only breath of fresh air in BnB!

If you want a good con-game movie, watch the Madhuri, Anil, Anupam starrer KHEL!

Although Madhuri monopolized the late eighties and early nineties, Juhi was mostly seen in comedies; hence, not many people are aware of Dixit's talent for the witty one-liners...plus, Juhi is a more conventional comedian who needs to make cute faces, act naughty and appear childish to sound funny...Madhuri's humor is sprinkled in several serious films, such as Beta, HAHK, Dil, Khalnayak, Pukar or Lajja - hers is a mature brand of humor, which is, unfortunately, not considered comedy!

Khel has got to be one of the best recent comedies (coupled with Andaz Apna Apna, HHRPK, Yes Boss and Munnabhai(s))........couple Madhuri with Anil to get a legendary couple...add Anupam Kher to this mix, and you have an enviable trio that just cannot go wrong! Their chemistry elevates this film to dizzying heights!

I need to buy this DVD ASAP!