It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:17 am 

IMHO, insipid and Lame!

Just go towards the end to watch AB doing Rap song on End credits!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:40 am 

Caught the film in the theater since there wasn't much else out.

Ok movie, nothing special but good timepass entertainment. It's one of those leave your brains at home movies but more in the 70s mould not the cheap/vulgar David Dhawan type.

Abhishek is good, all that stifness from before is gone, but I still thought Rani is the one that shines in this. She has the punch lines and constantly has the audience in splits. Abhishek and Rani do make a very good pair though as they share great chemistry.

Amitabh I thought overacted even though I know the role asked him to be over the top. His entrance didn't get much of a reaction, which was surprising, but he definitely has the audience rocking with him for the rap number at the end.

********spoiler******

As for the item number with Aish, I didn't think she was very good in it. The look, the dance, the sets... the magic was just missing. She looked much better in Shabd and can definitely do better than this. I never liked the song very much either. The highlight of the number however was to see both the Bachchans dancing together. They definitely seemed to be having a lot of fun.

All in all, I would give it a 6/10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:37 am 

Sounds like something I'll see when the ticket price goes to $2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:50 pm 

MalFUnXiON wrote:
Caught the film in the theater since there wasn't much else out.

Ok movie, nothing special but good timepass entertainment. It's one of those leave your brains at home movies but more in the 70s mould not the cheap/vulgar David Dhawan type.

Abhishek is good, all that stifness from before is gone, but I still thought Rani is the one that shines in this. She has the punch lines and constantly has the audience in splits. Abhishek and Rani do make a very good pair though as they share great chemistry.

Amitabh I thought overacted even though I know the role asked him to be over the top. His entrance didn't get much of a reaction, which was surprising, but he definitely has the audience rocking with him for the rap number at the end.

********spoiler******

As for the item number with Aish, I didn't think she was very good in it. The look, the dance, the sets... the magic was just missing. She looked much better in Shabd and can definitely do better than this. I never liked the song very much either. The highlight of the number however was to see both the Bachchans dancing together. They definitely seemed to be having a lot of fun.

All in all, I would give it a 6/10.

I concur with rating 5+1(AB rap)..traish or Bada B..still crap

I would rather recommend renting Dirty Rotten Scoundrels or its copy Khel, or even BMCM

I absolutely respect your opinion, but mind you, I did try very hard to like this movie..but failed!

I did like music originally, but did not like songs in the film.

Imho, it was not written, scripted well..Shad ali, disappoints, going on typical yrf trend, try to make his film marketable at any cost! :(

I will in first place will never go spend money in theatre to watch Crappy Abhishek and rani.

Or YRF production for namesake, or Traishwarya, after her ASMAN SE TAPKA 5 minutes..no way!! and I am feeling :(

I have even become insensitive to these 10minutes/1 crore roles in one after the other crappy films.

Theatric print was god, but sound was not worthy even in DD for this kinda film, only brief ambience surround was heard just in the begining of Kajrare song..for rest my audio Cd sounds better than this trash!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:40 am 

Just found a review for Khel:

Khel

Producer: Shiv Bhakti Films
Director: Rakesh Roshan
Starring: Mala Sinha, Anil Kapoor, Madhuri Dixit, Anupam Kher, Sonu Walia, Prem Chopra, Dinesh Hingoo
Music: Rajesh Roshan
Lyrics: Javed Akhtar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Genre: Comedy
Recommended Audience: General
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Released in: 1992
Reviewed by: Amit
Reviewer's Rating: 8.5 out of 10
Cumulative Rating: 8.57 out of 10
Rated by: 133 unique users

Enter your Rating: 1 out of 10 2 out of 10 3 out of 10 4 out of 10 5 out of 10 6 out of 10 7 out of 10 8 out of 10 9 out of 10 10 out of 10

When one hears the film title Khel, two names quickly come to mind . Anil Kapoor and Madhuri Dixit. Of the ´n´ number of hits they gave to the industry in the late 80´s and early 90´s (Tezaab, Beta, Parinda, Kishen Kanhaiya and the list would continue), this movie is no less entertaining than the others mentioned above. Granted this movie is no profound cinema like “Parinda” nor a powerful action packed drama like their last movie together "Pukar", their on-screen chemistry never got better than that in Khel.

Khel, a Hindi “phillumized" remake of "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels", is about three people Arun (Anil Kapoor), Seema (Madhuri Dixit) and the third played by Anupham Kher. The movie starts with Mala Sinha´s son Virendra Ghatge, who dies in a car accident leaving behind his pregnant and unmarried wife Kamini. Mala Sinha rejects to accept anything what Kamini says and with no option left, Kamini leaves for the city to her friend and delivers a baby. Years later enter Arun, a local thug, making his living out of fooling people. Seema, a dancer at a restaurant and her uncle (Anupham Kher) also follow similar steps as Anil Kapoor to make a living. They hear about Tara Jai Singh (Sonu Walia) who every year donates money to the hospitals for the impaired and the crippled in Sitamgarh. With an intention to thug money from Tara Jai Singh, Arun goes to Sitamgarh and starts behaving like a crippled (Devdas) to earn Tara´s sympathy. But he meets his match in the form of Doctor Khat Patia and Doctor Jadi Boti (Anupham and Madhuri in disguise) who challenge him about staying away from the course. After a series of some of the hilarious twists and turns, it is Arun who dupes everybody and gets the money. What happens next? Do the three take up another challenge? What happens to Mala Sinha? Does she learn the truth about Kamini and her son? That is the next to the story of Khel (game).

The movie is nothing but a start to finish non-stop entertainment. Rakesh Roshan takes a break from his Kala Bazaar’s and Khoon Bhari Maang’s and makes an out and out comedy, which David Dhawan was known to make in the early 90´s. Not for once does the audience get bored and sure enough, Rakesh Roshan capitalizes on the screen chemistry of Anil Kapoor and Madhuri Dixit. This is definitely one of Roshan’s best efforts along with “Khoon Bhari Maang” and “Kala Bazaar”. This movie might not be as big a hit as “Karan Arjun” or “Kaho Na Pyar Hai”, but nonetheless very entertaining.

Khel also has its share of flaws, one of them being the basic story relying on the age-old lost and found formula. It is difficult to comprehend why Rakesh Roshan had to use such an old formula for creating the base of a comedy like this. Apart from the four main characters, many of other characters in the movie just come and disappear before a blink of an eye. Granted that the movie is inspired from another movie, Rakesh Roshan still should have taken some liberties and try to bring some more variety to the movie. Obviously, those who haven’t seen he original would be just happy with the way things flow.

Rajesh Roshan’s music is one thing that easily works in its favor. Those who have heard the soundtrack would easily know that Amit Kumar is at his very best in "Sune Sham Savere>". The picturization of the song is also gorgeous along with the comedic elements. Other songs like "Na Hai Zameen, Na Aasman" and "Khat Likhna Hai" are a visual treat and rest assured, Anil Kapoor and Madhuri Dixit haven’t looked as great together. The effect of the music is also raised by the splendid picturization of great outdoor locations in South Africa and Kenya.

The performances are first-rate from the principal characters. First of all, let me say that Anupham Kher is at his comedic best. This was the time when an awards function wouldn’t finish without Anupham Kher getting a best comedian award and even here he scored in the best comedian category. Here is a comedic performance, which in recent times only Paresh Rawal could have done. Of the many movies, the trio of Anil Kapoor, Madhuri Dixit and Anupham Kher have done (Tezaab, Beta, Parinda, Ram Lakhan...), their co-ordination on screen never got better than this.

Anil Kapoor and Madhuri are a treat to watch. This is one of their movies, which you can call a real "jugalbandi". Some of their scenes together are just pure magic. Anil Kapoor´s expressions in "Sun Sham Savere" or his comedic talent while feeding the birds with Sonu Walia get applause from the audience. Madhuri Dixit at her glamorous best. Watching her in "Khat Likhna Hai" or "Na Hai Zameen Na Aasman" is like watching a dream. The point where she renders "idli do idli do" as a bhajan is outright hilarious. Mala Sinha does her job well. It is good to see the actress of yester-years after a long time. Sonu Walia looks absolutely stunning. Prem Chopra also generates a lot of laughs along with Dinesh Hingoo.

In spite of the lost and found formula, the movie entertains at all levels. Definitely, it is worth the rental and will guarantee a laugh. For Anil Kapoor and Madhuri Dixit fans, this is definitely something to add to your shelf of favorites.

Copyright © 1995-2005 INDOlink.com All Rights Reserved
Comments About Us Contact Us Advertise Terms of Service Privacy Policy

Planet Bollywood, INDOlink, IndoSeek, IndoShoppe, CricketLink, IndiaLink, AdvanceSkills, MyMiniMarket, and IndiGO, are trademarks of INDOlink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:34 am 

Before seeing the film I read 2 reviews of this film which was basically negative, saying the film didn;t deliver. However while reading, my family already planned and booked the tickets for the cinema.

I actually enjoyed the movie and thought it was pretty good fun. (especially the rap at the end!) It took me by surprise. All 3 lead actors did well. The big B was cool with his neck clicking cop act! I think the some media are jealous of YRAJ films' successes recently.

Okay, it had some slow moments, and 2 songs could be out, but who was asking for Oscar material anyway?

My advice is go see the film like its the worst film of the year, then be surprised. If thats not enough, then Rani and Aishwarya look fit!

Anyone agree?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:15 pm 

brownboy05 wrote:
My advice is go see the film like its the worst film of the year, then be surprised. If thats not enough, then Rani and Aishwarya look fit!

Anyone agree?

Let me disagree , not about the film ( I will probably not see it ) but about general attitude with which film is seen by Indians. why would I pay my hard earned $$ to the 'worst film of the year' - makes no sense at all ?? . in fact this will only promote more bad films being made. Satyajit Ray and Ritwik Ghatak ( both my idols) independently concur that the audience play a very important role in the “quality” of the film. in his book "Our Films, Their Films", Satyajit Ray says that "Making good movies is really at the hands of the audience, if they ignore' mediocre' films then artists will be forced make better films ".

Please bear in mind that I am not against escapist cinema, but merely against the irresponsible attitude with which it is seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:47 pm 

You have made good points and references.
All i am saying is the reviews were made by those who didn't want that escapist cinema, and were diappointed themselves. I would have not watched it aswell myself just because the reviews put me off. By chance, I happened to go along with others and came out slightly more satisfied than before going.
Overall my points are that 'their' review is not necessarily 'your' review, and you do not need a responsible attitude to see escapist cinema.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:06 pm 

This might not be the worst but gets pretty close based on alls who have been credited behind it!!

I still like and listen to my audio cd better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:20 pm 

I haven't seen this film so I am not talking about it, but the "escapism" label does not excuse a film from judgement. One can still feel an escapist film is not well done.

Audiences get what they deserve, so if they keep feeding the monster, it will give them more slime.

I don't like to pay $10 to see an Indian movie. I usually pay $5-6 (student discount) at the American multiplexes and the arthouse theaters and I feel I get my money's worth more than I do when I pay $10 for an Indian film. The only film in recent times I felt was worth that was Swades. I saw Black for $5. Nowadays I'll do my best to see a film I sort of want to see when the price drops to $2, the price of a DVD rental. That way, even if my 2.5 hours were just wasted, I can say, "So what, I only paid $2." Munnabhai and Hum Tum were worth that much :)

It is sad when we get hundreds of escapist movies with the biggest stars but nobody's distributing Bose: The Forgotten Hero in US theaters AFAIK. I guess he really is the forgotten hero! Oh sure, the theaters will throw a viewer like me a bone once in a blue moon and book some serious film, but that's very rare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:39 pm 

Escapist cinema!!hmm!!MHN was it too, I liked it, even though i wont rate it more than 7/10, it was well packed escapism! imho.

BNB or so Dhoom are not even worth my ticket either! simple as that!

Black, was not that moving for me either!

Swades, once seen is enough too!

I dont care Dhoom is Hit in India, Kaal Super Hit, VZ Super Duper Hit, BNB all time hit!! are all disappointing imho.
or trash by Bhatts!! Who wants to go see that second hand trash? not me!

Hum Tum..ok time pass!!

Imho, Shad ali, is not very competent director! He succeeded with Saathiya, as it was a remake! and he kinda stayed very consistent to the original!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:31 pm 

DragunR2 wrote:
I haven't seen this film so I am not talking about it, but the "escapism" label does not excuse a film from judgement. One can still feel an escapist film is not well done.

Audiences get what they deserve, so if they keep feeding the monster, it will give them more slime.

I don't like to pay $10 to see an Indian movie. I usually pay $5-6 (student discount) at the American multiplexes and the arthouse theaters and I feel I get my money's worth more than I do when I pay $10 for an Indian film. The only film in recent times I felt was worth that was Swades. I saw Black for $5. Nowadays I'll do my best to see a film I sort of want to see when the price drops to $2, the price of a DVD rental. That way, even if my 2.5 hours were just wasted, I can say, "So what, I only paid $2." Munnabhai and Hum Tum were worth that much :)

It is sad when we get hundreds of escapist movies with the biggest stars but nobody's distributing Bose: The Forgotten Hero in US theaters AFAIK. I guess he really is the forgotten hero! Oh sure, the theaters will throw a viewer like me a bone once in a blue moon and book some serious film, but that's very rare.

Just what I was thinking, I could not have put it better ....

As much as we blame our filmmakers, "we" the audience are also to blame for the quality that gets made/shown. Cinema is wrongly accused of being a passive art form - Great directors can take you on a ride leaving you breathless and screaming for more.

The rant is not against you my friend but against what "we" compromise as entertainment - esp. given its our time and our $$ . I have decided **not** to spend my $$ on a film, esp. if I know its going to be bad ( Kaal, SHABD , Musafir , Naina etc. ) . Perhaps this will achieve nothing , but this is my way of starting a "non-violent" protest against bad cinema. I am not pushing "art" films, I love Dil Chata Hai , DDLJ etc. but I am not going to support movies made by idiots , who have no grasp of what cinema is - either as art or as an entertainment medium.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:15 pm 

Movie Review : Bunty Aur Babli - Much Ado About Nothing

Printer friendly page

Producer: Yash Chopra
Director: Shaad Ali Sahgal
Cast: Abhishek Bachchan, Rani Mukherjee, Amitabh Bachan
Music: Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy

Yash Chopra, the force behind Yash Raj Films had been synonymous with quality filmmaking. Though he belongs to the older brigade of filmmakers yet he had always kept pace with the trend and had molded his creative eye according to the time. The production house features on the 27th position in the world ranking, thereby being the number one production house in Bollywood. It has so far released numerous films that shelters creative aspect and public appeal. Yash Chopra had changed his route emerging with films that can appeal to the generation. Hum Tum, Dhoom and the recent Bunty Aur Babli attest it.

Shaad Ali who previously got along with the banner for Saathiya directs Bunty Aur Babli. Other interesting aspects that the film highlights are Amitabh Bachchan and Abhishek Bachchan coming together in one screen frame, Rani Mukerji’s next after Black, Aishwarya Rai’s gyrating item song, the technical brilliance, a pacy story on the roll, fun and frolic, and numerous such other things. In a clamshell, a thorough entertainment package!

But all anticipations go kaput as the film hits the marquee. There are a series of setbacks that doesn’t convert the expectations to reality. The trouble at the grass root lies with the screenplay, which shines initially though dims later. The film with all the hype and hoopla falter even after being associated with the best in the industry.

Bunty Aur Babli is a sidesplitting and adventurous chase for two desperados Abhishek and Rani by super cop Abhishek Bachchan. Bunty and Babli are like two fishes in a fish bowl, who want to go out to the sea and claim it as their own domain. From the small town of Uttar Pradesh they plan to take the world.

Rakesh (Abhishek Bachchan) is all ideas and no work kind of a guy. He weaves dreams in air and atlast reaches the conclusion that his plans are tough to execute if he continues surviving in that land. He wants to be rich and famous even though it means fame through notoriety. Vimmi (Rani Mukherjee) also shares similar ideas. Individually they set out to establish and cherish their goals. Sooner or later their roads cross each other and they meet. Rakesh and Vimmi turn Bunty and Babli respectively, two con burglars who together accomplish their robbing mission. What come forth are the whirlwind episodes around the people they meet on the journey. They love it when the people are left beating their heads and biting their nails. Dashrath Singh (Amitabh Bachchan) has got the challenging task of taking the two in captive. He is the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Crime Branch. How far does he succeed!

Bonnie and Clyde as desi Abhishek Bachchan and Rani Mukerji are a novel thing to watch in Bollywood, no doubt about it. The thrill and adventure that this kind of film produce is a new trend in cinema. With a stable take off, the film reels the story of the two adventurous souls who are relevant to one and all. Weaving around sequences that create interest the film moves further. But doesn’t a film as such deserve a pace on the run! The thrill and the chase of the characters are fine but if the narration itself is slow moving, on what grounds the film will hold onto.

We expect the screen presence of Amitabh Bachchan to ignite the screen in the second half. But the narration continues its dip to eternity without any scope of emerging again. Though there are some flashy moments that spark, yet it doesn’t seem enough to regain the lost glory. Even when the father and son face each other on the screen for the first time, there is no cracker bursting. Instead the scene is dull and miserable on the whole. Aishwarya Rai’s item song also goes to doom. The only relief that the second half brings is the pre-climax scene that is worth a watch. But again don’t wait for the climax that is bizarre and implausible all the way!

On the technical forefront, Shaad Ali is not constant ergonomically in direction. With very few scenes to speak about, he cannot be credited. Jaideep Sahni’s story is unrealistic with loopholes that cannot be just ignored. The songs have been screened well, though the music is another downside of the film. It doesn’t come close to any Yash Raj films which speaks of musical brilliance. Cinematography of Abhik Mukhopadhyay and sound design by Anuj Mathur walks away with applause.

The performance of the two Bachchans and Rani Mukerji holds the film. They are superlative. Amitabh within the essential matrix of his role, steal the show. Abhishek Bachchan breathes life to his character confidently and emerges trumps. Words of praise for Rani Mukerji too, who is breathtaking and continues her acting spree after Black. Other actors like Raj Babbar, Punit Issar, Kiran Joneja Sippy, Rameshwari, Prem Chopra and Pratima Kazmi are apt.

Bunty Aur Babli doesn’t have the stamina to capture the audience. The film’s opening is good due to the byline of the associates but it won’t grow to bigger and better in the days to come. Nothing exploding!

© Copyright 2005 by MusicIndiaOnLine.com

** People who have seen the film..Can you comment? to me first half felt like commentory/documentory on BNB..2 crooks from heaven!? :?: :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:42 pm 

Different things click with different people.

I and family went to see Fida in theatre. I liked it, kids found it OK. As that show ended, nothing else planned and time to kill, we went on to Dhoom, show was just starting. I felt Dhoom was nothing compared to Fida.

But, my kids, 8 & 11 really had a ball. Untill now, they consider Dhoom as the best film that ever came out of Bollywood. Above Veer Zaara, Main Hoon Naa etc.
Not only that, my 11 year old got her English speaking friends hooked to Dhoom videos as well, and eventually they all watched complete film on DVD more than once.

Other films that clicked with kids:
Shhhhhhhhhhhhh
Bhoot
Kuchh To Hai
Elaan
Vaada
Jurm
Khamoshh
Kismat

But, Not KAAL.

Last edited by rana on Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:27 pm 

arsh wrote:
Escapist cinema!!hmm!!MHN was it too, I liked it, even though i wont rate it more than 7/10, it was well packed escapism! imho.

BNB or so Dhoom are not even worth my ticket either! simple as that!

Black, was not that moving for me either!

Swades, once seen is enough too!

I dont care Dhoom is Hit in India, Kaal Super Hit, VZ Super Duper Hit, BNB all time hit!! are all disappointing imho.
or trash by Bhatts!! Who wants to go see that second hand trash? not me!

Hum Tum..ok time pass!!

Imho, Shad ali, is not very competent director! He succeeded with Saathiya, as it was a remake! and he kinda stayed very consistent to the original!

Just out of interest, seeing as you have slated so many films - which recent Hindi film (apart from Main Hoon Na) did you actually enjoy? And if you think they are all so bad, why watch them?!?!?!?! I tend to try and avoid films I don't think I'll enjoy - a perfect example being Titanic - still haven't seen that one :P

Face it - YRF are onto a winning formula - they make slushy romances that the entire family can go and see (with the exception of Dhoom) and they work. Personally, I enjoyed Hum Tum, Dhoom, and to a lesser extent Bunty Aur Babli - but it's obvious that YRF don't plan on doing anything different for the near future. The trailer for Salaam Namaste shows that.

As for the comments on the audience deciding the quality of a film.........I don't really agree with that internationally for Hindi films. I had been looking forward to watching My Brother Nikhil for a while, but it wasn't shown in any cinemas here. I eventually got hold of the DVD, and it was hands down one of the worst DVDs I have ever seen in my life. MBN was a good film - but there is no way to really see the film as it was intended. So how can we help decide the quality of the films being made if the only films we can see are mainstream commercial films?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next