It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:33 pm 

bhaskar wrote:
As for the comments on the audience deciding the quality of a film.........I don't really agree with that internationally for Hindi films. I had been looking forward to watching My Brother Nikhil for a while, but it wasn't shown in any cinemas here. I eventually got hold of the DVD, and it was hands down one of the worst DVDs I have ever seen in my life. MBN was a good film - but there is no way to really see the film as it was intended. So how can we help decide the quality of the films being made if the only films we can see are mainstream commercial films?

Well I did not mean the quality of transfer but the quality of the film itself ( BTW My Brother Nikihil and Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi are on my watch list). I know the current state of Indian films on DVD is pretty pathetic ( I will post screenshots of Ritwik Ghatak’s Ajantrik once I get my computer back up and running). Personally patience is my only option - I am pretty sure "one day" we will get the same treatment/respect that other international classics get. Till then I am willing part with my $$ for films like Bose, My brother Nikhil , Black Friday on DVD so the artist involved are compensated to a certain degree.

I will agree you guys are the best critic and no one can influence your thoughts, its your money/time and you have every right to spend it the way you like on what you like. As for me I will stay clear off “bad cinema” as much as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:20 am 

Now i watch most bolly films with the attitude someone mentioned above...expect it to be the worst, so it might actually turn out not bad.

Like someone said above, it doesn't make sense for me to watch them.
but then occasionally one or two films surprise me too...mostly from non mainstream hindi films...defenitely not anything by YR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:11 am 

kchan wrote:
Now i watch most bolly films with the attitude someone mentioned above...expect it to be the worst, so it might actually turn out not bad.

We shouldn't have to watch these films with this mindset. What does it say about the industry when we have to expect rock bottom so that we'll be surprised when a film is better than that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:25 am 

(Note: I haven't seen Bunty Aur Babali yet, my response is more in tune with the discussion of Indian cinema in general).
Let's face it, NRIs all over the World have been systematically programmed into culturally elitist xenophobes. We aren't exposed to the anti-thesis Hindi films(ie. Black Friday, Paanch), I'm also pretty sure that we would have never gotten to see Swades, hadn't Shahrukh staring in it, plus Gowariker's image post-Lagaan. Most Bollywood blockbusters offer the equivalent to sitting back all your life, getting drunk, eating fat-junky foods and vegging out mindlessly in front of the television. There's no challenge to that but there's also not much of a reward beyond the temporary sensation of apathetic relaxation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:05 pm 

DragunR2 wrote:
kchan wrote:

We shouldn't have to watch these films with this mindset. What does it say about the industry when we have to expect rock bottom so that we'll be surprised when a film is better than that?

Dragun, believe me yaar, I went with open heart, open mind, open pocket :wink: only to be disappointed and going back to my impressions, once a year hindi cinema theatre outing is ok! not more than that!

It is unbelievable, the way critics, so called are praising their performances..Abhishek, is a huge disappointment like always as single hero! even bada B tried to give him, maximum screen time, unnecessarily in their song together too..Only time I liked his act was in PMG where he was hardly aknowledged and very natural.

Rani, tell me? what did she did different here to be number one!! just compare to Madhuri's performance in Raja and Khel, and you will figure out where she stands! Just comparing her with todays Pooh and Shit is not valid imho!

AB , I hate to label him LOUD and Overacting!! Man is under too much pressure!! To make his last penny ever at any cost! I think he acted free or discount rate by dozens to support his Nalaiq son!! but all fathers do dat any ways :nopity:

Last edited by Zoran009 on Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:29 pm 

Glad to see at least some share my opinion. I am not expecting or looking forward to a major reversal in movies made in India - all I am asking is instead of giving us 5 good films out of 900 ( that’s the total # of films made in a year in India - the largest in the world ! ) gives us 90 ( 10% of the total # of movies made) and I will be a happy man !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:17 pm 

Bunty and Bubli, as well as, Waqt have done quite well at US Box Offoice, but they have not reported their figures to trade.

Waqt is still doing well but Boxoffice mojo never reported it after 1st week.

Bunty and Bubli, as per Indian reports, has collected a whopping over $ 430,000 US over a 4day weekend. This makes it #13 ranking :lol:. (Perhaps highest for a Hindi film in US??).
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

It's per screen average too is pretty good: $ 8,544 per screen.

http://www.indiafm.com/boxoffice/overseas/01jun05.shtml
U.S.A. BOX-OFFICE
[4-day weekend: May 27 - 30, 2005]
BUNTY AUR BABLI has debuted at No. 16 position. In its opening weekend, the film has collected $ 435,767 [approx. Rs. 1.90 crores] on 51 screens, with the per screen average working out to $ 8,544.

YASH RAJ FILMS IN U.S.A.

FILM OPENING WEEKEND [$] SCREENS AVERAGE [$]
Bunty Aur Babli [4-day Memorial Day weekend] 435,767 51 8,544
Veer-Zaara 903,010 88 10,261
Dhoom 102,860 32 3,214
Hum Tum [4-day Memorial Day weekend] 348,149 43 8,096
Saathiya 71,400 29 2,462

NEW YORK CITY BOX-OFFICE

In its opening weekend, BUNTY AUR BABLI has debuted at No. 13 position, collecting $ 53,213 on 2 screens, with the per screen average working out to $ 26,607.

WAQT - THE RACE AGAINST TIME [last weekend: No. 32, this weekend: No. 38]: In its sixth weekend, the film has collected $ 4,254 on 1 screen. New York total: $ 40,984.

---------------------------

Rita:
Yes those films too that my kids liked except for Munna Bhai. At 8 and 11, they did not understand the humour I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:12 pm 

Rita wrote:
Will probably soon add Bunty Aur Babli to this list as well. I'm not counting money, or concerned with # of good or bad films.
As long as Hindi cinema provides rewarding entertainment, relaxation, refreshing overacting, fun Masala, handsome dudes/hunks to watch, :wink: good choreography/dances/songs and sometimes surprisingly non mainstream good films, I’m happy with that Man! :D

That's how I see BW as well, but I think that's unfortunate. That is a fast food definition of cinema. Sure, if I want to turn off my brain and watch some eye candy BW is great, but what happens when I'm tired of eating gulab jamun all the time and want some chicken makhani (Aloo Gobi for Pav)? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:56 pm 

rana wrote:
Different things click with different people.

I and family went to see Fida in theatre. I liked it, kids found it OK. As that show ended, nothing else planned and time to kill, we went on to Dhoom, show was just starting. I felt Dhoom was nothing compared to Fida.

But, my kids, 8 & 11 really had a ball. Untill now, they consider Dhoom as the best film that ever came out of Bollywood. Above Veer Zaara, Main Hoon Naa etc.
Not only that, my 11 year old got her English speaking friends hooked to Dhoom videos as well, and eventually they all watched complete film on DVD more than once.

Other films that clicked with kids:
Shhhhhhhhhhhhh
Bhoot
Kuchh To Hai
Elaan
Vaada
Jurm
Khamoshh
Kismat

But, Not KAAL.

Hey rana!! I have not even dared to rent most of these great flicks, except Bhoot, Jurm,(forgetable) Kismat(forgetable) :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:00 pm 

dvdisoil wrote:
Glad to see at least some share my opinion. I am not expecting or looking forward to a major reversal in movies made in India - all I am asking is instead of giving us 5 good films out of 900 ( that’s the total # of films made in a year in India - the largest in the world ! ) gives us 90 ( 10% of the total # of movies made) and I will be a happy man !

dvdsoil, my point is not trying to change people's opinion here, or changing their viewing and listening habbits either, but to frankly say what I feel re one film or the other, without any hesitation or pressure or fear!

I am glad to do so, as long as I can find a few Hamnava! like you! I feel that I am not the only one!! There are other too, who share simillar sense and sensibilities! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:07 pm 

DragunR2 wrote:
Rita wrote:
Will probably soon add Bunty Aur Babli to this list as well. I'm not counting money, or concerned with # of good or bad films.
As long as Hindi cinema provides rewarding entertainment, relaxation, refreshing overacting, fun Masala, handsome dudes/hunks to watch, :wink: good choreography/dances/songs and sometimes surprisingly non mainstream good films, I’m happy with that Man! :D

That's how I see BW as well, but I think that's unfortunate. That is a fast food definition of cinema. Sure, if I want to turn off my brain and watch some eye candy BW is great, but what happens when I'm tired of eating gulab jamun all the time and want some chicken makhani (Aloo Gobi for Pav)? :wink:

LoL :lol: roz roz, rasgulla, gulab jamun khane se SUGAR ho jaegi!!
Pav bhajji, Allu Gobhi is must!!

I totally agree, Masala flicks is that bollywood is all about, but sometimes that masala is packed, churned well, other times not that well..

Baghban, Waqt, VZ, KHNH, KKHH, KKG same Bhajji that you have been eating for decades from houses of Johar/Chopras, being presented with modified, masals, colors!

I stayed in line for 3 hrs for Devdas, but did not feel bad(mind you some people dont think Devdas was even GOOD) but for film like VZ, is outrageously, unacceptable!

There is huge difference between, Lagaan, Swades, Kisna and Lakshya, after taking a look at them from all angles!

But as I have said before!! There will be always RIGHT ones and top counteract LEFT ones!! and also who are just alright, okish! :?: :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:33 am 

arsh wrote:
rana wrote:

I and family went to see Fida in theatre. I liked it, kids found it OK. As that show ended, nothing else planned and time to kill, we went on to Dhoom, show was just starting. I felt Dhoom was nothing compared to Fida.

But, my kids, 8 & 11 really had a ball. Untill now, they consider Dhoom as the best film that ever came out of Bollywood. Above Veer Zaara, Main Hoon Naa etc.
Not only that, my 11 year old got her English speaking friends hooked to Dhoom videos as well, and eventually they all watched complete film on DVD more than once.

Other films that clicked with kids:
Shhhhhhhhhhhhh
Bhoot
Kuchh To Hai
Elaan
Vaada
Jurm
Khamoshh
Kismat

But, Not KAAL.

Hey rana!! I have not even dared to rent most of these great flicks, except Bhoot, Jurm,(forgetable) Kismat(forgetable) :roll:

Recall my first line:

Also, as I said in the post, what category of audience liked it.

Businesswise one ticket bought by a child is same as one ticket bought by a serious critic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:15 am 

DragunR2 wrote:
kchan wrote:

I think the hype for coming up movies, especially SRK and YR ones, are the most annoying factors for these movies. All these fans are like...oh wow something really great and different is gonna come up...yet they go see the same dissappointing crap being churned out and try to cheer themselves up by writing long reviews about how great the movie was...Its pathetic...most of these movies don't deserve more than 2 or 3 lines.

Quote:
It is unbelievable, the way critics, so called are praising their performances..Abhishek, is a huge disappointment like always as single hero! even bada B tried to give him, maximum screen time, unnecessarily in their song together too..Only time I liked his act was in PMG where he was hardly aknowledged and very natural.

Rani, tell me? what did she did different here to be number one!! just compare to Madhuri's performance in Raja and Khel, and you will figure out where she stands! Just comparing her with todays Pooh and Shit is not valid imho!

AB , I hate to label him LOUD and Overacting!! Man is under too much pressure!! To make his last penny ever at any cost! I think he acted free or discount rate by dozens to support his Nalaiq son!! but all fathers do dat any

Good post man. I agree about Rani being not all that and AB he is like in every hindi movie out there....come on man we're tired of seeing you in every pathetic movie.

If Rani is supposed to be the best of bollywood today, imagine what the rest of them are like.... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:06 pm 

Quote:
If Rani is supposed to be the best of bollywood today, imagine what the rest of them are like....

I love you kchan!! Bravo!! You got it!!
These actresses need serious lessons from pros? if possible :?: :idea:

Now Poo is going to act as dumbo ass after rani did blind deaf!disgusting!!
now it is time to make money from making poor handicaps, on your face larger than life!!latest trends! :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:26 pm 

Most of them are not actors and actresses. They are just pretty people who are in movies.

Kareena is going to play a handicapped person? This reminds of the line in Bowfinger by Eddie Murphy: "A black dude who plays a slave that gets his ass whipped gets the nomination, a white guy who plays an idiot gets the Oscar. That's what I need, I need to play a retarded slave, then I'll get the Oscar. " :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next