It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:18 pm 

I wasn't aware of Waheeda Rehmaan in a Helen style cabaret number although she performed lots of classical dances in many top films.

Name, which film and which song. :lol:

BTW, there may even be more films where Waheeda performed a cabaret number. Can you name them.

Last edited by rana on Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:34 am 

:shock: never knew she did such a number!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:30 pm 

rana wrote:
I wasn't aware of Waheeda Rehmaan in a Helen style cabaret number although she performed lots of classical dances in many top films.

Name, which film and which song. :lol:

BTW, there may even be more films where Waheeda performed a cabaret number. Can you name them.

Was her number 'Rangeela Re, tere rang mein, yun ranga hai, mera mann' from PREM PUJARI a cabaret or was it with a sari. I cannot remember correctly. I have seen the song only on Chaya Geet (Mumbai DD in the late seventies/early eighties) but not the movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:35 pm 

Songs in Shatranj were more glamourous than in Prem Pujari. But, this is not the film. It's another film. Lead pair and Music Director is the same team as in Shatranj. (From this hint, you sure can guess the film). I'll name this film Tomorrow after checking the starting lyrics ( I forgot one song lyrics) of two cabaret type numbers. These were famous songs though, like most Shankar Jaikishan songs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:36 pm 

I read somewhere Waheeda played a comparatively "westernised" character in BAAZI (1968)... Might she have done a cabaret number in that film? I don't know, as I have not seen the film! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:21 pm 

Rita wrote:
Great topic-I love quizes..I'll take a wild guess! :)

Would the answer be Waheeda Rehman's
cabaret number in Vijay Anand's Guide where
she did a snake a temple dance with no songs,
only music? :lol: :wink:

Guide and other Waheeda dance numbers are basically classical dances. Even Shatranj dances are classical.

I already gave a hint. This film that I'm referring to has same lead pair and Music as in Shatranj. i.e Rajendra Kumar, Waheeda Rehmaan and ShankarJaikishan. Even the film type is similar. Both Romantic/ Spy films.
Another Hint: If you remember, this song/ dance # by Waheeda;
Dheere Dheere Bole Re Shu Shu---Deewaron Ke Bhi Kaan Hain, Khatre Mein Apni Jaan Hai--Re Shu Shu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:46 pm 

Rita wrote:
Great topic-I love quizes..I'll take a wild guess! :)

Would the answer be Waheeda Rehman's
cabaret number in Vijay Anand's Guide where
she did a snake and temple dance with no songs,
only music? :lol: :wink:

GUIDE and cabaret? Don't tell me you picked on Guide as its the only Waheeda Rehman film you seen? :D :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:51 pm 

Rana, I noticed of the CD of SHATRANJ (1969) is with DHARTI (1970) - Both star Rajendra Kumar and Waheeda Rehman, and have music by Shankar Jaikishan...

So, its got to be DHARTI?!! :D
And, whats the prize for the winner? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:59 am 

Actually Waheeda attempted cabaret style numbers in Dharti & Baazi. Her dance number in Baazi was with no other than good old Helen.

Besides Waheeda there were some other big stars from golden era who tried to give Helen run for her money but failed, these include;

1) Vyjanthimala in Sangam
2) Saira Banu in April Fool,Pyar Mohabbat,Saazish
3) Mala Sinha in Aankhen
4) Sharmila Tagore in An evening in Paris
5) Tanuja doing a cabaret like number in Jewel Thief
6) Asha Parekh in Shikar (Parde mein rahne do)
7) And the biggest shocker MEENA KUMARI attempting to shake in a movie called Chandan ka palna.

After this everyone from Hema Malini to Mumtaz to Zeenat to Rekha attempted to shake their booty in bad to worse cabaret numbers.

*By the way interesting post Rana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:06 am 

main wohi hoon wrote:
7) And the biggest shocker MEENA KUMARI attempting to shake in a movie called Chandan ka palna.

Have to see CHANDAN KA PALNA - The thought of seeing Meena Kumari doing a cabaret is making me hysterical!! :D :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:09 pm 

armaan wrote:
Rana, I noticed of the CD of SHATRANJ (1969) is with DHARTI (1970) - Both star Rajendra Kumar and Waheeda Rehman, and have music by Shankar Jaikishan...

So, its got to be DHARTI?!! :D
And, whats the prize for the winner? :lol:

Sure Armaan, you are the winner of the quiz. Prize Zulmi Champ. :D

BTW, the two cabaret songs (Waheeda Rehman) in Dharti are:

1) Dheee Dheere Bolo Re Shu Shu (as mentioned earlier)

and the more famous song:

2) Ishq Ki Main Beemar - - - Allah ----

if any one remembers this song.

---------------------------

Must check Baazi as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:13 pm 

main wohi hoon wrote:
Actually Waheeda attempted cabaret style numbers in Dharti & Baazi. Her dance number in Baazi was with no other than good old Helen.

Besides Waheeda there were some other big stars from golden era who tried to give Helen run for her money but failed, these include;

3) Mala Sinha in Aankhen

After this everyone from Hema Malini to Mumtaz to Zeenat to Rekha attempted to shake their booty in bad to worse cabaret numbers.

Sadhna too performed a Cabaret "Kaise Rahoon Chup Ke Maine Pee Hi Kya Hai" in Inteqam. Any other Cabaret #s by Sadhna??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:52 pm 

rana wrote:
main wohi hoon wrote:

3) Mala Sinha in Aankhen

Sadhna too performed a Cabaret "Kaise Rahoon Chup Ke Maine Pee Hi Kya Hai" in Inteqam. Any other Cabaret #s by Sadhna??

I thought that was a situational number? how come you can classify as cabret? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:03 pm 

zibawala wrote:
rana wrote:
main wohi hoon wrote:

3) Mala Sinha in Aankhen

I thought that was a situational number? how come you can classify as cabret? :roll:

On second thought, I agree with you. It's not really a cabaret song. In that case, is Sangam "Buddha" song a cabaret or situational??

Any ideas if Sadhna ever did a cabaret number?? What about other leading ladies, old time and new ??

BTW, should we continue this topic with a change in thread title to reflect "Cabaret #s by leading ladies" or should we start a new thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:18 am 

How about a list of top ten cabaret's? List must be based on presentation & of course the song. Here's my list;
1) Helen in Intaqam (Aa jane jaan by Lata)
2) Helen in Howrah Bridge (mera naam chin chin by Geeta Dutt)
3) Helen in Carvaan (Piya tu by Asha Bhosle & R.D.Burman)
4) Helen in Don (Yeh mera dil by Asha Bhosle)
5) Helen in Night in London (Jameela by Lata)
6) Helen with Vyjantimala & Shammi Kapoor in Prince (Muqabla hamse na karo by Lata,Asha & Rafi)
7) Helen with Shammi Kapoor in Teesri manzil (O Hasina by Asha & Rafi)
8) Helen in Upasna (Meri Jawani by Asha Bhosle)
9) Helen in The Train (Meri jaan by Asha & R.D.Burman)
10) Helen with Prem Nath in Kalicharn (Yeh pal by Asha & Kishore)

Cabarets by other's don't hold candle to Helen's dance numbers (my humble opinion).