It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:04 am 

i dont think it undoes anything..movies like dil chahta hai.. kal ho na ho..are set in present day time..most of veer zaara is set 22 years ago..
and it is picturised as in the smaller towns of villages...what were u expecting..girls to be walking around with short skirts..on their mobile phones..talking to the boyfriend while havinh an affair with their neighbour?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:20 am 

vjmajic2002 wrote:
i dont think it undoes anything..movies like dil chahta hai.. kal ho na ho..are set in present day time..most of veer zaara is set 22 years ago..
and it is picturised as in the smaller towns of villages...what were u expecting..girls to be walking around with short skirts..on their mobile phones..talking to the boyfriend while havinh an affair with their neighbour?

Hmm...I also mentioned Lagaan - which was set a century ago. That's besides the point. I don't quite understand how the whole mobile phone
and miniskirt thing figures in this...:roll: In fact, I found the old-world innocence of the film somewhat charming. On the other hand, flying scarves and people running through fields into each other's arms is really just so passe...

To make my point clearer, I think the movie relied too heavily on an ancient Bollywood formula. I certainly don't hate the film, but it's hardly a good one. Melodramas are inherently supposed to be larger than life. But the film's music, cinematography and sound design could have done so much more to achieve a larger than life effect. The film fails to impress me technically - thus half the battle is lost.

On the screenplay front - Chopra certainly knows how to elicit strong emotions - though that itself is not exactly a great feat. I could easily start praising or verbally abusing someone on this forum and that would definitely evoke some emotional response. The trick for a melodrama to work for a more savvy audience would be to layer sentiments, ideas and complex issues subtly behind the extravagance of the facade of song and dance, thunder and lightning and other melodramatic devices. It's easy for a melodrama to turn into a farce.

I'll even forgive the absolute lack of shades of grey in the lead characters on the account that nothing in the film says that its supposed to be realistic. However, the film should say something more than merely - "Look...these people are so beautiful and pure and their story is so sad. So please cry."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:35 am 

I haven't yet seen the film. But for those who have, could you please tell us what film was previewed before the actual feature film? Swades or The Rising?

Post subject: Veer Zaara
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:49 am 

It seems everybody is adding their reviews / points of view to the Veer Zaara debate.

To be honest, after watching the film, I left satisfied. I wasn't overwhelmed by the film by no means, but it did the job.

I didn't have high expectation of it, purely because I felt it was always going to be some sort of rehash of the Yash Raj back catalogue. And I was right, it was the tried and tested Bollywood formula of old and Yash Chopra made this film, as if he was painting by numbers!

The characters were written with strong ethics and high morals which is hard to find in our day and age, which may have been in the intention Adi & Yash Chopra, but somehow the moral of the story may feel condescending to the newer generation, but I can see the film appealing to the older generations.

I'm a massive fan of SRK, but there was nothing extraordinary in his performance, it's nothing I haven't seen before. If you wanna see a different SRK, I guess Swades will the only film to display this, because the likes of Yash/Adi Chopra & Karan Johar are unwilling to break the mould :(

Priety was okay, but Rani performed really well, and you truly believed her portrayal off the role.

The Amitabh/Hema introduction was a nice touch and a highlight of the film.

The music didn't blow me away at the time when it was released on cd, but after watching the film, each song was picturised very well and becomes infectious.

All in all, the film should be judged on its own merits and it is a quality film, but only if you push aside any expectations or views before entering the cinema hall & enjoy it for what it is

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:32 pm 

they showed swades at mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:42 pm 

Aarkayne wrote:
Imo this movie spells the downward spiral for Yash Chopra and perhaps Yash-Raj Films. I thought after HUM TUM these guys were finally beginning to get out of the rut they had ridden themselves into. But VZ takes the bullshit cake, hands down and DTPH, MOHABBATEIN notwithstanding....

The silver lining is Aditya Chopra can still write occassionally touching lines, make searing comments and touch a chord or two here and there. Catch some of the lines Manoj Bajpai says, pretty intense.

But to emerge victorious he has to do the following things double-quick :

1. Disassociate completely from his senile father
2. Write a movie sans songs, sans love, sans anything mush is associated with.
3. Drop Shahrukh Khan from the actor list.....

....maybe, just an outside chance he might be able to recreate the DDLJ magic (as far as originality is concerned).

aarkayne, i think you're looking to the wrong director (aditya chopra) and the wrong banner (yrf) to carry hindi films "forward". i don't think aditya chopra would even think of making a movie without songs, love, or mush. i think there is a place in hindi films for songs, love and mush and movies from the chopra stable will continue to provide such movies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:18 pm 

this has to be the worst film done by yash raj films it was a pile of crap...AB & HM were very good but everyone else were they usual self for me the best bit in this long overdrawn (needs to be trimmed by atleast 1.5hrs !!!) was M.B his scene & dialoge delivery with SRK in the police station in itself was worth the ticket price simply outstanding !!!

SRK may yet redeem himself with SWADES atleast for once he won't be relying on his superstar status to carry him thru u might just see him ACT !!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:07 pm 

theon wrote:
Aarkayne wrote:
aarkayne, i think you're looking to the wrong director (aditya chopra) and the wrong banner (yrf) to carry hindi films "forward". i don't think aditya chopra would even think of making a movie without songs, love, or mush. i think there is a place in hindi films for songs, love and mush and movies from the chopra stable will continue to provide such movies.

alas you are right. i guess some people will never want to move out of their own comfort zones, regardless of how stale the produce they churn out is. Its a pity since, Yash Chopra has also been part of projects in the past that were certainly nice. ITTEFAQ & KAALA PATTHAR come so easily to mind. It is also a pity since Aditya Chopra does seem to have the instincts of a sensitive writer, something you can seldom say of others in present day & times.

but i needed to vent and this place is a good outlet ;-) thanks for listening.

and by the way, if Chopra's gonna make a half-Punjabi, half-Hindi film, can he consistently have sub-titles all through? its sickening he assumes that all his hindi following audiences will ALSO follow punjabi ..... aaargh !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:07 pm 

Manoj is such a fine actor!! You throw any thing on him, or cut him to 5 minutes!! He will get under the skin!!
Just watch him in Pinjar!

Re Aditya Chopra!! Hmm!! Did you watch his MOHABTAEN!! Darn Sensitive writer/director

**Well, no one here even said a word Comparing DTPH to VZ on overall product!?? :?: :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:20 pm 

arsh wrote:
Re Aditya Chopra!! Hmm!! Did you watch his MOHABTAEN!! Darn Sensitive writer/director

Oh yes, I did watch MOHABBATEIN.....found the movie extremely boring....and his writing was mediocre by and large, with patches of the talent shining through every now and then....at this point I am willing to give AC another chance at coming up trumps, with an offering that is a perfect balance of writing and execution....one does not have to go too far back for an example of terrific writing....take LAGAAN, it worked because it was written brilliantly, and then thanks to Aamir's due diligence, executed almost perfectly....AC's own DDLJ worked because it was a new idea being presented innovatively...the protagonist(SRK as Raj) was earnest in what he was trying to do....unfortunately none of that happens in VZ...there are times where AC's writing comes through as mentioned before(the Bajpai scene being an example), but they are by and large bludgeoned under the weight of trying to be a classic....it appears that YC is taking the success of DDLJ too seriously in trying to create one...unfortunately classics are never planned.....you go out there and do your best and if it becomes one, so be it, else you dust the dirt off your pants and move on....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:24 pm 

The writer/director of film like Mohabtaen!! I dont have any hope left!
IMHO, it was a crap film.

Aarkayne wrote:
arsh wrote:

Oh yes, I did watch MOHABBATEIN.....found the movie extremely boring....and his writing was mediocre by and large, with patches of the talent shining through every now and then....at this point I am willing to give AC another chance at coming up trumps, with an offering that is a perfect balance of writing and execution....one does not have to go too far back for an example of terrific writing....take LAGAAN, it worked because it was written brilliantly, and then thanks to Aamir's due diligence, executed almost perfectly....AC's own DDLJ worked because it was a new idea being presented innovatively...the protagonist(SRK as Raj) was earnest in what he was trying to do....unfortunately none of that happens in VZ...there are times where AC's writing comes through as mentioned before(the Bajpai scene being an example), but they are by and large bludgeoned under the weight of trying to be a classic....it appears that YC is taking the success of DDLJ too seriously in trying to create one...unfortunately classics are never planned.....you go out there and do your best and if it becomes one, so be it, else you dust the dirt off your pants and move on....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:01 pm 

That was same thing in K3G too, but I dont think that was a great movie either!

Rita Ji, I would recommend you watch Pinjar to see what Manoj is made up off!!

It is Alas!! he is so underated!!
Imho, his portryal of devil being was spectacular in AKS too, overtaking AB, but Biggies eat all sweets!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:40 pm 

Rita wrote:
arsh wrote:

Rita Ji, I would recommend you watch Pinjar to see what Manoj is made up off!!

It is Alas!! he is so underated!!
Imho, his portryal of devil being was spectacular in AKS too, overtaking AB, but Biggies eat all sweets!

Thanks for your recommendation Arsh—plan to watch Pinjar soon as I hear it’s a must see for its commendable starcast performances!

Did you see Manoj in Road? –He is delectably wicked in that film as well portraying the sinuous eccentric psychomaniac! His evil expressions are first rate!

indeed!! real good performance in road too!!

did u catch dil pe mat le yaar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:30 pm 

and if u have time watch him in JAAGO...and i'm looking forward to seeing him in INTEQAM....by the way just watched TUMSA NAHIN DEKHA and i found this film to be much much better than VZ at just under 2hrs 10 min with good acting nice songs and a simple story it was very enjoyable and i feel ERFAAN HASHMI is someone to look out for all his 3 films have been very good indeed !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:19 am 

asif wrote:
and if u have time watch him in JAAGO...and i'm looking forward to seeing him in INTEQAM....by the way just watched TUMSA NAHIN DEKHA and i found this film to be much much better than VZ at just under 2hrs 10 min with good acting nice songs and a simple story it was very enjoyable and i feel ERFAAN HASHMI is someone to look out for all his 3 films have been very good indeed !!!

Indeed Asif Miyan, there are very few actors, real ones who just get under the skin of their character flawlessly..another for Bajpai..SHOOL.

Watch Pankaj Kapoor in MAQBOOL.

Actresess..undoubtedly..TABU

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next