It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:57 am 

I really liked 3 Deewaarein and I love The Shawshank Redemption, but I don't see any point in talking about the two films in the same sentence — they're both about prison... so what?

Main Azaad Hoon was based on Frank Capra's, Meet John Doe. Both movies are great, the former being one of my favorite Bachchan films.

One Hindi re-make I greatly prefer to the original is Satte Pe Satta (inspired by, Seven Brides For Seven Brothers). Also, I love Kurosawa's The Seven Samurai, but I like Ramesh Sippy's Sholay much more than America's, The Magnificent Seven.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:11 am 

Commando303 wrote:
I really liked 3 Deewaarein and I love The Shawshank Redemption, but I don't see any point in talking about the two films in the same sentence — they're both about prison... so what?

Teen Deewarein is not a remake of Shawshank Redemption, but it does have the twist ending of one of the inmate's crimes actually having been committed by another inmate, which is very similar to Shawshank and Green Mile.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:47 pm 
Pyaar Tune Kya Kiya is a remake of FATAL ATTRACTION - - wouldn't say it's a better film than FATAL ATTRACTION, though anything is better than big bore Michael Douglas.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:06 am 

Commando303 wrote:
Also, I love Kurosawa's The Seven Samurai, but I like Ramesh Sippy's Sholay much more than America's, The Magnificent Seven.

Sholay is not exactly a copy of Seven Samurai or Magnificent Seven, it was just inspired by the idea of men protecting a village from Bandits. Sholay was an original work but was inspired by and copied scenes from The Magnificent Seven, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and Once Upon a time in the west.

jadoo wrote:
Pyaar Tune Kya Kiya is a remake of FATAL ATTRACTION - - wouldn't say it's a better film than FATAL ATTRACTION, though anything is better than big bore Michael Douglas.

Hey Michael Douglas was great in Wall Street and Falling down.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:38 pm 

Thought, this thread suits this post:

The other day I was watching a Hollywood film "Move Over Darling" on TV. I found it interesting and thought that this type of plot and presentation should work fine for a Bollywoodish film. Plus, add a few songs and romance and it could be a nice romance/ comedy film.

The plot is where a man marries a 2nd girl after his first wife was gone missing, in a sea disaster, for five yrs. On the wedding day his first wife comes back after a miraculous rescue from a deserted island where she was marooned with another man. There are comic situations at the start of the film where the judge is acting like a comic and later again declaring the lost woman dead and alive a number of times and declaring the husband guilty of polygamy, legally married to --, flip flopping a number of times, depending whether the first wife is declared legally dead or alive, which wife declared legally married or not. There also are comic situations/ complications when the other man from the marooned island interferes.

There was a comedy film with Salman or Govinda or Akshay where hero is constantly juggling with two wives (anyone recall name of this film ??) but don’t think rest of the plot had any similarity.

Any idea if Move Over Darling was copied in Bollywood ??

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:45 am 

rana wrote:
There was a comedy film with Salman or Govinda or Akshay where hero is constantly juggling with two wives (anyone recall name of this film ??) but don’t think rest of the plot had any similarity.

No idea if it was copied but I wouldn't be surprised. It sounds like the perfect film for bollywood to copy. A film I recall where the hero is constantly juggling with two wives is Gharwali Baharwali with Anil Kapoor.
From what you said, I think I might have seen move over darling. Is it an old film?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:57 am 

rana wrote:

The other day I was watching a Hollywood film "Move Over Darling" on TV. I found it interesting and thought that this type of plot and presentation should work fine for a Bollywoodish film. Plus, add a few songs and romance and it could be a nice romance/ comedy film.

The plot is where a man marries a 2nd girl after his first wife was gone missing, in a sea disaster, for five yrs. On the wedding day his first wife comes back after a miraculous rescue from a deserted island where she was marooned with another man. There are comic situations at the start of the film where the judge is acting like a comic and later again declaring the lost woman dead and alive a number of times and declaring the husband guilty of polygamy, legally married to --, flip flopping a number of times, depending whether the first wife is declared legally dead or alive, which wife declared legally married or not. There also are comic situations/ complications when the other man from the marooned island interferes.

Its a copy of an old hollywood feature starring either Glen Ford or Cary Grant. Can't remember the name...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:41 am 

Shahran Sunny Audit wrote:
rana wrote:

Its a copy of an old hollywood feature starring either Glen Ford or Cary Grant. Can't remember the name...

Mr_Khiladi wrote:
No idea if it was copied but I wouldn't be surprised. It sounds like the perfect film for bollywood to copy. A film I recall where the hero is constantly juggling with two wives is Gharwali Baharwali with Anil Kapoor.
From what you said, I think I might have seen move over darling. Is it an old film?

Found out, which Bollywood film I was thinking of. It's
Saajan Chale Sasural (1996)
Quote:
Saajan Chale Sasural (1996)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246905/plotsummary
(Credited cast)
Govinda ... Shyamsunder
Karisma Kapoor ... Pooja
Tabu ... Divya Khurana
Satish Kaushik ... Mutthu Swamy
Kader Khan ... Khurana (Divya's father)
Satish Shah ... Ram Pyara
Shakti Kapoor ... Singer/Musician
Naive villager Shyamsunder, who sings, comes to Bombay to try his luck with Bollywood and wealth. He ends up on the streets, playing for small alms. He meets with another musician, Muthu Swami, and both attempt to meet the owner of Tips Cassettes, Mr. Khurana, for an audition, in vain though. Then one day, Shyamsunder meets beautiful Divya, the only daughter of Mr. Khurana, and both fall in love with each other. Divya would like to marry Shyamsunder, and also further his career. What she does not know is that Shyamsunder loves another woman from his village by the name of Pooja, who he has promised to marry. Pooja arrives in the city, and with Divya already present there, Shyamsunder and Muthu Swami invent a look-alike of Shyamsunder, with hilarious results.

Quote:
Move Over, Darling
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057329/
Doris Day ... Ellen Wagstaff Arden
James Garner ... Nicholas Arden
Polly Bergen ... Bianca Steele
Thelma Ritter ... Grace Arden
Fred Clark ... Mr. Codd (hotel manager)
Don Knotts

Five years to the day after his wife Ellen disappeared in the sea after a plane crash, lawyer husband Nicholas has her declared legally dead, remarries and sets off to Monterey with new wife Bianca. The same morning, Ellen arrives home after being rescued by the Navy from a desert island and follows to try and prevent the honeymoon developing further. Nick, still in love with Ellen, is delighted to see her but finds he still can't break the news to Bianca, while Ellen equally hasn't got round to telling the children she is their mother. Could get complicated.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:26 pm 

Mr_Khiladi wrote:
I've read some time on zulm that SLB's Khamoshi was a remake of a film of the same year (96). Is this true and what film was it a remake of?

Khamoshi appears to be a remake of "Jenseits der Stille" a.k.a. "Beyond Silence" released in the same year as Khamoshi.

IMDB.com wrote:
Since the earliest days in her childhood Lara has had a difficult but important task. Both her parents are deaf-mute and Lara has to translate from sign-language to the spoken word and vice versa when her parents want to communicate with other people. Getting older and more mature she becomes interested in music and starts to play clarinet very successfully. However her parents are deaf, they cannot share Lara's musical career. The day comes when Lara has to decide between her parents and her own ambitions. Written by Oliver Heidelbach

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:18 pm 

NewDeep wrote:
Mr_Khiladi wrote:
I've read some time on zulm that SLB's Khamoshi was a remake of a film of the same year (96). Is this true and what film was it a remake of?

Khamoshi appears to be a remake of "Jenseits der Stille" a.k.a. "Beyond Silence" released in the same year as Khamoshi.

IMDB.com wrote:
Since the earliest days in her childhood Lara has had a difficult but important task. Both her parents are deaf-mute and Lara has to translate from sign-language to the spoken word and vice versa when her parents want to communicate with other people. Getting older and more mature she becomes interested in music and starts to play clarinet very successfully. However her parents are deaf, they cannot share Lara's musical career. The day comes when Lara has to decide between her parents and her own ambitions. Written by Oliver Heidelbach

Oh my God! :shock: I think SLB must've seen this film at an international film festival the previous year and thought he would be quick in ripping it off. It was to his advantage that this film would never be released in India, so the people wouldn't know and think it to be an original work.

So every single film Bhansali has done has been a remake! India should be careful of calling him one of their greatest directors.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:04 am 

His HDDCS was brilliant though, and hopefully was original :-)

==

Bambai Ka Maharaja (1980), Amjad Khan, seems based on Godfather too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:46 pm 

NewDeep wrote:
Bambai Ka Maharaja (1980), Amjad Khan, seems based on Godfather too.

Except for the music from "Portrait of a Lady". :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:25 am 

Ok, HDDCS borrowed music from Portrait Of A Lady...!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:03 am 

NewDeep wrote:

Brilliant? The very basic concept of the film was crap. While Salman passed gas and talked to the skies every two minutes in the name of acting, we are led to believe that this guy goes all over Europe to help his wife find her lover. The best part is that throughout the whole farce, the wife keeps her Manglasutra and Sindoor on. Give me a break. The movie was at best 'time pass' and was a a typicaly loud and melodramatic Bhansali film with some nice music. Sanjay Leela Bhansali films also end up playing like a 'Chitrahaar', if you know what I mean.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:33 pm 

What is your opininon of Devgan's performance in HDDCS?
This was the turning point of his career -- ladies simply swooned and Devgan transformed into a ladies' man.

I found the overall treatment of HDDCS brilliant, concept flaws notwithstanding.