It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:29 am 

rana wrote:
A film shot in 70mm and also screenrd with a 70mm film will be great.

Even a 35mm film blown up to 70mm gives a much better projection in 'Big Screen' theatres. What I'm wondering about is that as so many films are available in 70mm film, why don't they use it in 'Big Screen' theatres.

A list of 320 70mm films with 6 track audio as listed at imdb is as follows (I hope imdb don't object):

http://www.imdb.com/List?sound-mix=70+m ... ck&&skip=0

The reasons for not showing the 70mm prints are several. For starters they don't really have any re-releases anymore, secondly not too many theaters, even the big screen one's, are actually equiped for 70mm and thirdly due to the fact that 70mm prints cost quite a bit more than the 35mm equivalent prints and thus it ends up being an economics decision. Although Hollywood does once in a while revive an old classic with a 70mm print. These releases are generally at the 'Chinese Mann Theater' on Sunset Boulevard in Los Angelos.

I noticed Sholay being the only Indian film on the list. I hope the list is not supposed to be a complete list. Because I can name quite a few hindi films that are not on there.

Post subject: Re: titanic
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:57 am 

Sanjay wrote:
NewDeep wrote:
If I remember correctly, Titanic had two transfers - anamorphic 35 mm and 70 mm. The latter had some additional scenes and was screened at a cinema hall in Patel Nagar, New Delhi. The latest Titanic special dvds are reportedly from that transfer. The previous Titanic dvds were from the 35mm transfer.

Until last year I used to live in East Patel Nagar, five minutes from 'Satyam', the theater you are referring to, but I don't recall them playing a longer version of the film. Also, since the theater was not equiped for 70mm, Titanic coud not have been released in 70mm at Satyam. I would not bet my life on it, but I am quite sure Titanic was not released in 70mm anywhere in Delhi, because if it had been I would have most certainly gone to see it. By the way all 70mm films always have a 35mm release also. After all, there aren't too many 70mm equipped theaters out there.
Hi Sanjay, you may be right about Satyam not equipped for 70mm, but is it possible to double check? I regularly watched movies in this theatre since the time o "Independence Day"...

To the best of my memory, the Titanic print shown at Satyam had this additional scene - "two mariners look on at the Titanic launching distress flares. They dismiss them/misunderstand by concluding that they are celebratory fireworks."

This scene is not in any 35mm print but only in some 70mm ones -- I do remember this scene being shown at Satyam... do you recall this scene too? thx :)

In fact, in India, I have noticed that some Hollywood movies get "extended" screening. For example - The Patriot" screened in India already had all the "extended" scenes not shown in theatres outside India and reinserted into the Dutch edition of this DVD.

Ditto for "Bride And Prejudice" etc.

(by the way, doesn't sheila theatre near new delhi rly stn have 70mm?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:38 pm 

Sanjay wrote:
rana wrote:

I noticed Sholay being the only Indian film on the list. I hope the list is not supposed to be a complete list. Because I can name quite a few hindi films that are not on there.

When I started this thread, there were 320 70mm films listed in that imdb link. Now, it's more than 550. As imdb is contributor dependant site, inclusion/ exclusion depends on contributors. There always are many omissions.

-----------------------

Regular 70 mm film format is not that common anymore, but even a bigger format I-max which essentially is twice the reg 70mm film area, using the same 70mm film, is becoming common these days. As I mentioned earlier many new Hollywood films are being released in reg 35mm prints, as well as, 35 mm print converted on to I-max film as per I-max specs. Even in India, there are I-Max theatres and they might be presenting these films in I-Max format ??

Here in North America, a 2-3 week run for one I-Max film print, at 20% higher ticket prices, is considered to be sufficient. It gives extra prestige/ hype/ publicity to the film release too.

Also, a film being presented on I-Max sucks up all the audience from other non-I-Max screenings, thus getting ahead in the competition for Box Office dollars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:12 pm 

when i go see a bollywood movies at the imax the print isnt that grainy but you still can see it some times, the most grainy movie i have seen is lakshya does that mean that they use the 35mm print?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:49 pm 

izzy wrote:
when i go see a bollywood movies at the imax the print isnt that grainy but you still can see it some times, the most grainy movie i have seen is lakshya does that mean that they use the 35mm print?

Yep, that's the point. Projecting a 35mm print on to I-Max screen does not make it a I-Max presentation. This is what all Bollywood films and most Hollywood films do. The new trend is converting a 35 mm print to I-Max specs using I-max's newly developed technique to give 35 mm films a boost to I-Max specs. Film area is 10 times bigger than 35 mm film and they use image enhancement routines to make it compatible with the I-Max quality.

http://www.cineplex.com/theatres/imaxdm ... irect=true

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:10 pm 

rana wrote:
izzy wrote:

Yep, that's the point. Projecting a 35mm print on to I-Max screen does not make it a I-Max presentation. This is what all Bollywood films and most Hollywood films do. The new trend is converting a 35 mm print to I-Max specs using I-max's newly developed technique to give 35 mm films a boost to I-Max specs. Film area is 10 times bigger than 35 mm film and they use image enhancement routines to make it compatible with the I-Max quality.

http://www.cineplex.com/theatres/imaxdm ... irect=true

amen!! otherwise it is gimmick and inferior!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:48 am 

NewDeep wrote:
Hi Sanjay, you may be right about Satyam not equipped for 70mm, but is it possible to double check? I regularly watched movies in this theatre since the time o "Independence Day"...

To the best of my memory, the Titanic print shown at Satyam had this additional scene - "two mariners look on at the Titanic launching distress flares. They dismiss them/misunderstand by concluding that they are celebratory fireworks."

This scene is not in any 35mm print but only in some 70mm ones -- I do remember this scene being shown at Satyam... do you recall this scene too? thx :)

In fact, in India, I have noticed that some Hollywood movies get "extended" screening. For example - The Patriot" screened in India already had all the "extended" scenes not shown in theatres outside India and reinserted into the Dutch edition of this DVD.

Ditto for "Bride And Prejudice" etc.

(by the way, doesn't sheila theatre near new delhi rly stn have 70mm?)
I watched the movie at Priya cinema and it did include the additional scene that you refer to. As for whether I am sure about 'Satyam' being equiped for 70MM, well I would not bet my life on it. But since Satyam was renovated, still as a single screen, close to the mid '90s and by then new releases in 70MM were pretty much history, I don't see any logical business decision for Satyam to have equiped themselves with 70MM, specially since the location of Satyam, precludes it from ever being the main hall for any release, let alone that of an English film.

Yes, Shiela cinema is equiped for 70MM and in fact was the first theater in India to be so equiped. I myself have watched several movies there in 70mm Six track stereophonic sound, eg. Shalimar, Kranti, Razia Sultan & Saagar.

PS: People sometimes confuse a large screen with a theater actually being equiped for 70MM. For a theater to be able to show movies in 70MM, it has to have special projectors to handle the 70MM prints. Lots of theaters used to advertize themselves as having 70MM screens, which is actually quite funny because a screen that measured only 70MM would be a rather small screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:12 am 

rana wrote:
These days new big Hollywood films are released in in I-Max format along with their 35mm versions. These are converted from 35mm, but the presentations are as per I-Max specs. i.e 35 mm print blown up to I-Max print size that's 10times bigger film area and theatre audio @ 24000 Watts (or, is it 12000 Watts ??).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Imaxcomparison.png

35mm film area = 22 mm X 18.6 mm
I-Max 15-70 film Area = 70m mm X 48.5 mm

Quote:
http://www.cineplex.com/theatres/imaxdmr.asp

IMAX® Corporation has developed a total system to re-master 35mm live-action films into 15/70 film format for exhibition in IMAX theatres. Known as IMAX DMR, this technology digitally enhances the image quality of 35mm motion pictures for projection onto screens up to eight stories high. The images are just as big, clear and beautiful as those films originally produced in the 15/70mm format.

* The enhanced digital signal is then recorded onto 15/70 film resulting in a visual presentation which, when projected on IMAX®'s projection system you have bright, crisp, steady and absolutely stunning images.

* For IMAX DMR® releases, the original soundtrack of the 35mm film will be re-mastered for IMAX®'s six-channel loudspeaker system. IMAX® sound systems are uncompressed, full fidelity and use proprietary loudspeaker systems that ensure every theatre seat is in a good listening position. IMAX DMR® will create that immersive experience for 35mm films with clear, distortion-free soundtracks.

http://www.cinemaclock.com/aw/ctha.aw/p ... ester.html

Silvercity Gloucester

Night at the Museum - IMAX® Exp.

This is not just a 35 mm film projecting on I-Max size screen, but it's converting 35mm film to I-Max specs and then getting an I-Max experience.

Saw I-Max presentation of Night at the Museum.

Most impressive was the I-Max demo in the beginning.

Feature presentation too was very impressive for clarity and for thunderous sound.

Screen was floor to ceiling and from side to side of the theatre. Not an inch left out.

BUT, did we miss something or did we see a lot more ?? What about Director's Vision ?? If this is director's vision then what's director's vision for non-Imax screens ??

What I'm referring to is that I-Max standard size is 72 ft X 52 ft aprox. This is aprox 4:3 AR. Theatere screen seemed like this 4:3 AR or 1.5:1 at the most. For sure, normal AR these days is 1.8:1 or wider.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAX
So, do these I'Max presentations contain extra picture at the top and at the bottom or are the cropped from sides to make them fit on 4:3 screen size ??
And, what about director's intentions ?? (As I've speculated before, Director's intentions vary depending on screen AR, And, what's to be presented on screen is selected from a bigger picture area negative ??)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:01 am 

rana wrote:
rana wrote:
These days new big Hollywood films are released in in I-Max format along with their 35mm versions. These are converted from 35mm, but the presentations are as per I-Max specs. i.e 35 mm print blown up to I-Max print size that's 10times bigger film area and theatre audio @ 24000 Watts (or, is it 12000 Watts ??).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Imaxcomparison.png

35mm film area = 22 mm X 18.6 mm
I-Max 15-70 film Area = 70m mm X 48.5 mm

Quote:
http://www.cineplex.com/theatres/imaxdmr.asp

IMAX® Corporation has developed a total system to re-master 35mm live-action films into 15/70 film format for exhibition in IMAX theatres. Known as IMAX DMR, this technology digitally enhances the image quality of 35mm motion pictures for projection onto screens up to eight stories high. The images are just as big, clear and beautiful as those films originally produced in the 15/70mm format.

* The enhanced digital signal is then recorded onto 15/70 film resulting in a visual presentation which, when projected on IMAX®'s projection system you have bright, crisp, steady and absolutely stunning images.

* For IMAX DMR® releases, the original soundtrack of the 35mm film will be re-mastered for IMAX®'s six-channel loudspeaker system. IMAX® sound systems are uncompressed, full fidelity and use proprietary loudspeaker systems that ensure every theatre seat is in a good listening position. IMAX DMR® will create that immersive experience for 35mm films with clear, distortion-free soundtracks.

http://www.cinemaclock.com/aw/ctha.aw/p ... ester.html

Silvercity Gloucester

Night at the Museum - IMAX® Exp.

This is not just a 35 mm film projecting on I-Max size screen, but it's converting 35mm film to I-Max specs and then getting an I-Max experience.

Saw I-Max presentation of Night at the Museum.

Most impressive was the I-Max demo in the beginning.

Feature presentation too was very impressive for clarity and for thunderous sound.

Screen was floor to ceiling and from side to side of the theatre. Not an inch left out.

BUT, did we miss something or did we see a lot more ?? What about Director's Vision ?? If this is director's vision then what's director's vision for non-Imax screens ??

What I'm referring to is that I-Max standard size is 72 ft X 52 ft aprox. This is aprox 4:3 AR. Theatere screen seemed like this 4:3 AR or 1.5:1 at the most. For sure, normal AR these days is 1.8:1 or wider.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAX
So, do these I'Max presentations contain extra picture at the top and at the bottom or are the cropped from sides to make them fit on 4:3 screen size ??
And, what about director's intentions ?? (As I've speculated before, Director's intentions vary depending on screen AR, And, what's to be presented on screen is selected from a bigger picture area negative ??)

Night at museum was special print for IMAX!Film was OK! It beat me, how could they have made better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:01 pm 

arsh wrote:
Night at museum was special print for IMAX!Film was OK! It beat me, how could they have made better!

What I was wondering was what was director's intention ?? To see what's in widescreen 35 mm picture or what's in I-Max 1.4:1 AR picture ??
Also, which of the two has more picture area or if they are just different areas of picture picked out of a larger film negative ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:34 pm 

rana wrote:
arsh wrote:

What I was wondering was what was director's intention ?? To see what's in widescreen 35 mm picture or what's in I-Max 1.4:1 AR picture ??
Also, which of the two has more picture area or if they are just different areas of picture picked out of a larger film negative ??

might check either film studio, or imax website, I had seen them previously giving you image size comparative each print!

I thought it was so so film though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:18 am 

arsh wrote:
rana wrote:
arsh wrote:

might check either film studio, or imax website, I had seen them previously giving you image size comparative each print!

I thought it was so so film though

Got a chance to check and see "Night At The Museum" in non-I-Max format. Theatre chart showed it to be FLAT instead of SCOPE as normal these days. Sure, the screen was 4:3 or 1.4:1, the same as I saw in I-Max. No false widescreen to make quick buck. :D
-----------------------
We all know, what a debacle was colorized MughleAzam that came with scope type film and distorted and cropped from top and bottom picture. Instead of scope, 4:3 original MughleAzam deserved to be blown up for I-Max presentation.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:29 pm 

rana wrote:
Regular 70 mm film format is not that common anymore, but even a bigger format I-max which essentially is twice the reg 70mm film area, using the same 70mm film, is becoming common these days. As I mentioned earlier many new Hollywood films are being released in reg 35mm prints, as well as, 35 mm print converted on to I-max film as per I-max specs. Even in India, there are I-Max theatres and they might be presenting these films in I-Max format ??

Here in North America, a 2-3 week run for one I-Max film print, at 20% higher ticket prices, is considered to be sufficient. It gives extra prestige/ hype/ publicity to the film release too.

Also, a film being presented on I-Max sucks up all the audience from other non-I-Max screenings, thus getting ahead in the competition for Box Office dollars.

As always, finally Bollywood is catching up with Hollywood, just 7-8 Yrs behind.

They just announced first Bollywood's I-Max presentation (I think 35 mm up-converted to I-Max using DMR technology). :D

Dhoom 3 will have I-Max prints as well.

Quote:
http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/news/15 ... se-in-IMAX
Dhoom 3 to be first Bollywood film to release in IMAX
By Bollywood Hungama News Network,September 21, 2012 - 17:15 hrs IST
#

Yash Raj Films (YRF) and IMAX Corporation today announced that the action thriller Dhoom 3, the next offering from YRF, will be digitally re-mastered in the immersive IMAX format and released in IMAX theatres across India and select global locations next year. The film marks the first Indian local-language production to be released in IMAX. The Company currently has 14 IMAX theatres open or contracted to open in India.

From producer Aditya Chopra and director Vijay Krishna Acharya, and starring Aamir Khan, Abhishek Bachchan, Katrina Kaif and Uday Chopra, Dhoom 3, is the next installment in one of the most famous franchises in Indian box office history. The film tells the story of the adventures of Jai Dixit, a no-nonsense cop, and his scatterbrained partner, Ali. The success of Dhoom and Dhoom 2 have established this as Bollywood's pre-eminent franchise.

Speaking about this collaboration, Yash Chopra said, "IMAX has always symbolized high quality film entertainment and experience and this vision of the company works very well with the ethos of YRF which has been synonymous with Indian film entertainment over the last four decades. We are indeed happy to announce our association with IMAX for the additional release of Dhoom 3 in this exciting format next year. Added to the anticipated thrill that the film promises, this IMAX experience will give it an all new edge of the seat dimension altogether. We look forward to closely working with their team over the coming year."

"Our network growth in India has reached a point where we're now able to present local-language films in IMAX, which is paramount to our success in the region," said Greg Foster, Chairman and President, IMAX Filmed Entertainment. "We're very excited to begin this partnership with Yash Raj Films and look forward to working with director Vijay Krishna Acharya and Yash & Aditya Chopra on this highly anticipated Bollywood blockbuster. With its riveting action set pieces, global locales and stunning visuals, Dhoom 3 is an ideal film to take advantage of our immersive format as we begin our initiative with Indian-language/Bollywood films."

The IMAX release of Dhoom 3 will be digitally re-mastered into the image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience with proprietary IMAX DMR (Digital Re-mastering) technology. The crystal-clear images coupled with IMAX's customized theatre geometry and powerful digital audio create a unique environment that will make audiences feel as if they are in the movie.

Just wait and see how I-Max screens suck up all the audiences from non-Imax theatres even if ticket prices doubled or trippled (same as in North America).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:57 pm 

Sanjay wrote:

Yes, Shiela cinema is equiped for 70MM and in fact was the first theater in India to be so equiped. I myself have watched several movies there in 70mm Six track stereophonic sound, eg. Shalimar, Kranti, Razia Sultan & Saagar.

Was checking DEI Kranti and noticed that it's Theatrical Trailer, included in the extras, advertised it as "Cinema-scope Super 70mm and Stereophonic Sound".

1) What does "Cinema-scope Super 70mm" mean ??

2) Does Stereophonic sound mean just 2 channel or could it be on 6 separate channels for 70mm prints ??

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:04 pm 

It is all about the audience, It is very unfortunate that some people go to the cinema just for relaxation. Seems they are the majority film goers if not things will change :lol: