It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:32 pm 

I have not seen Sholay :( Waiting for RGV Company's screening ;)

I might end up watching the original before I see RGV's. Don't know. Can't stand these horrid DVD's. quite a SHAME

Post subject: must must
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:55 pm 

Yuvan wrote:
I have not seen Sholay :( Waiting for RGV Company's screening ;)

I might end up watching the original before I see RGV's. Don't know. Can't stand these horrid DVD's. quite a SHAME

Yuvan, you should really really watch the original... even if it means using only the speakers of your TV instead of a 5.1 speaker setup (if you want to watch the Eros-204-minute DVD... this way the sound won't sound all that bad).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:56 pm 

Yuvan - See it in order to experience it. My pop is still crazy about this film, though i don’t share his enthusiasm, i can kind-off-relate to it. I still think its the most "honest" & “fun” bollywood film.

I also like it because it pretty much welcomes bolloywoods "rip-off age" with SHOLAY (pretty much the best masala-western film that I know of ) being an obvious take on Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai" . My recommendation to current filmmakers – see SHOLAY to adapt ‘foreign’ thought process desi-style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:05 pm 

changes made, see what you concur from the DEI-EROS shot

Post subject: Re: ramlal's feet
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:03 pm 

NewDeep wrote:
harry_rasul wrote:
This is the DEI-EROS opening shot, the black bars sure seem bigger than the Ultra edition...
Thanks a ton Harry_Rasul!

If you notice Bhaskar's shots, in the scene captured, if you draw a straight horizontal line under Ramlal's feet, that line touches the bottom of the railway engine too.

IN your shot, the engine is still a little far away.

Can you replace your shot? That will really help compare :-)

harry_rasul already made the changes, but it was not nrcessary as even though rail and the smoke is changing, background is not changing. What I posted before still stands.

rana wrote:
I can describe the DEI-EROS opening shot:

As compared to Ultra, DEI-EROS DVD basically covers the same width, shot panned slightly, very slightly, to the left. DEI-EROS also has a hair bit less at the top and bottom.

But, DEI-EROS opening shot extra width and what is in Ultra, if included in EROS 204 min version will change it from the present 1.29:1 to 1.33:1 (.01 extra at left and .03 extra at ther right). Still, no where near 1.45:1.

--------------------

P.S.

Comparing, side by side, DEI-EROS, Ultra and EROS, PQ of DEI-EROS, makes you feel like throwing the other two in the garbage. DEI-EROS is that much better.

I just wish, DEI-EROS had not cut the picture from the sides, in the remainder of the film.

Post subject: some more notes
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:22 pm 

Ultra DVD and Gold VHS both have a different opening -- The banner of "United Producers" is shown just before the first scene of the movie (train coming in). This banner is missing from both DEI/Eros and Eros/B4U.

As we all know, the tanga chase sequence in Eros/B4U happens like this -- first the entire Hema sequence is shown and only after Hema is captured is Dharam's sequence shown. Hema's chase has "tabla" background music while Dharam's has western background music.

We also know that in DEI/Eros, Ultra, and Gold, this sequence is slightly shorter and that Dharam's and Hema's scenes are interspersed. I noticed that in DEI/Eros, when Dharam's scenes are shown (between Hema's scenes), the music is "tabla" background music. HOWEVER, in Ultra DVD and Gold VHS, Dharam's scenes (between Hema's scenes) are shown with "western" background music!!

That's another point of difference -- clearly different prints are used as masters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:05 pm 

Well, newdeep, lets ask excel to give us a well deserved world class sholay with dts :idea:

Post subject: Re: some more notes
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:06 pm 

NewDeep wrote:
Ultra DVD and Gold VHS both have a different opening -- The banner of "United Artists" is shown just before the first scene of the movie (train coming in). This banner is missing from both DEI/Eros and Eros/B4U.

As we all know, the tanga chase sequence in Eros/B4U happens like this -- first the entire Hema sequence is shown and only after Hema is captured is Dharam's sequence shown. Hema's chase has "tabla" background music while Dharam's has western background music.

We also know that in DEI/Eros, Ultra, and Gold, this sequence is slightly shorter and that Dharam's and Hema's scenes are interspersed. I noticed that in DEI/Eros, when Dharam's scenes are shown (between Hema's scenes), the music is "tabla" background music. HOWEVER, in Ultra DVD and Gold VHS, Dharam's scenes (between Hema's scenes) are shown with "western" background music!!

That's another point of difference -- clearly different prints are used as masters.

Sanjay mentioned another version/ Qawali.
viewtopic.php?t=8245&start=15

Sanjay wrote:
For those that may not know this, actually there are 'TWO' Original/Theatrical cuts of Sholay. That does not make much sense now, does it? Well, Sholay was released/screened with both 35MM (Mono Sound) and 70MM (Six Track Sound) prints. The 70MM print was from day one, a longer cut of the film. There was another, even longer 3rd cut of the film, which included the 'Qawalli' sequence and was released in theatres later on in some parts of the country. Finally there is another cut now with an alternate ending, which actually is the original ending, the one that was not passed by the censor board back in 1975.

Last edited by rana on Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:37 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:55 pm 

Has anyone here seen the qawwali sequence? Is it a full picturized song?

Post subject: Re: some more notes
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:35 am 

Sanjay wrote:
There was another, even longer 3rd cut of the film, which included the 'Qawalli' sequence and was released in theatres later on in some parts of the country.

It's understandable as Jagdeep's character was named "SOORMA BHOPALI", like a Qwwal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:44 am 

Sorry if I'm about to be post redundancies (I lost track of all the replies):

When I was a kid, I saw Sholay on VHS (not a "DVD copy"). Asrani's "jailer" stuff was in it (though I recall my mother's having told me that when she saw the film in theaters, the sequence was not present, and that it had later been re-inserted). Gabbar did not die. I remember having pestered her, "WHY WOULDN'T HE KILL HIM?" She told me that it was a "moral" thing, and that the censors would not have been happy with such an ending (apparently, I knew what "censors" were...lol). There was certainly no "mystery qawwaali song" present.

More recently, I acquired both the Eros/DEI version, and the "Eros" version, of the film. The former has better sound and better picture, but the colors do feel a bit "false." The latter looks much more natural (albeit faded), but it suffers from a lot of "hissing and popping." All in all, I prefer Eros's version, simply because it's the more interesting version of the film. Really, the only big difference is the ending, as you'd likely miss all the other "additional footage," but I do prefer its ending enough to opt for that edition. Apparantly, there's a new "Carlotta" version of this film, now available. I haven't yet checked it out, but it looks pretty good. It seems to be presented in a matted 2.35:1 aspect ratio. In other words, I should assume that you see "less" than you do in Eros's DVD, as the top and the bottom (on Carlotta's) have basically been "blocked out." This isn't exactly a bad thing, as more is not necessarily better (if it were, why would we even have the "close-up"?), and I'm pretty sure that the film was shown in theaters in this "matted" format. Eros/DEI's version is matted, as well, only it mattes in a peculiar way; you end up having more of the picture cut out than seems right (though it's not too bug a problem). Similarly, Eros/DEI chose to block out the top and bottom of Zanjeer (another fantastic film), only in that case, it was a far more noticeable problem.

I think the Carlotta disc is probably the best of the bunch (assuming it shows the "director's cut"), as its picture tops Eros's, yet its framing tops Eros/DEI's. No release, yet, however, seems fit to represent this film. We might just have to wait for a Blu-Ray version (which, too, will likely be sub-par).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:32 am 

,rana sahab!! Make a note! :roll: :idea:
Quote:
I acquired both the Eros/DEI version, and the "Eros" version, of the film. The former has better sound and better picture

Last edited by Zoran009 on Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:31 pm 

arsh wrote:
[img]I acquired both the Eros/DEI version, and the "Eros" version, of the film. The former has better sound and better picture, [/img]

rana sahab!! Make a note! :roll: :idea:

Never doubted/ suspected superiority of DEI-EROS's Progressive SHOLAY. Even though cropped from sides it's still the PQ of choice. Extra at top and bottom in some versions is irrelevant as it never was intended to be screened.

Audio, of course DEI-EROS Sholay is as good as it gets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:23 pm 

Sholay is film meant to be seen in GRAND VISTA WS..period!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:26 pm 

By the way in case anyone is doubting that there ever was a 'qawalli sequence' in Sholay, let me tell you I have myself seen the qawalli sequence, although not as part of the film and that too a loooong time ago. The Qawalli was picturised on Dharmendra and Amitabh and it was titled "Chand Sa Koi" and was approx 11 minutes long. It was sung by Kishore Kumar, Manna Dey, Bhupinder, and Anand Bakshi himself, who ofcourse also wrote the lyrics for it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next