It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:56 am 

But who frames a shot like that with so much headroom? Rule of thirds is not a hard-and-fast rule, but for a shot like that Sanjeev Kumar's head would be ideally framed towards the top of the frame, not in the center like that. That is, if the film was framed for 1.37:1.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:35 pm 

we must revisit this soon, and hope Excel can give us Blu Ray of Sholay -- all versions in one box!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:15 am 

NewDeep wrote:
we must revisit this soon, and hope Excel can give us Blu Ray of Sholay -- all versions in one box!

Now, do you honestly think that's going to happen? 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:43 am 

Commando303 wrote:
NewDeep wrote:

Now, do you honestly think that's going to happen? 8)
Not as long as Ultra or Moser Baer continue to hold DVD rights for Sholay... Just in case they have rights to Sholay, Excel have shared that they would love to do this... but then, Excel do not have rights.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:38 am 

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7821&p=81183#p81183

VijayDinanathChavan wrote:
Sholay strikes gold!
Quote:
Posted On Wednesday, August 29, 2007
Ashwini Deshmukh / Mumbai Mirror Bureau

The official rights of Sholay will finally go to PNC in a $100 million :shock: deal between Pritish Nandy and Sascha Sippy. PNC will make its sequel, along with an animated version

Much has been written about the Ram Gopal Varma and Sascha Sippy tussle over the rights of Sholay. The court verdict finally landed in favour of Sascha Sippy, chairman of Sholay Media and Entertainment. Ram Gopal Varma had to give up the use of the famous title as well as the popular character names like Basanti, Jai and Veeru and Dhanno.

But there is a new twist in the tale! After denying Ram Gopal Varma, the much sought after rights of this film have now been given to Pritish Nandy Communications to remake the film, officially. That's not all - the film will also be made in an animated version, very soon.

A source adds, "There were many makers who had been vying for the rights of the film, but PNC finally won the deal. Production on the animated version of Sholay is scheduled to start soon. The cast and crew for the official remake is also being planned and top league directors like Shankar, Priyadarshan and Sanjay Gupta :shock: are being considered for this project. After that, the prequel and the sequel will also be made. The $100 million deal was finalised in London today."

When contacted Sascha Sippy confirmed the news saying, "Sholay is undoubtedly the biggest movie brand that India has had and as custodians of that brand we want to be careful and responsible with it. We have chosen Pritish Nandy Communications as our partners as we like and appreciate their work and approach."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:52 pm 

Gabbar Singh may spoil things for Pritish Nandy's prequel...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9905&p=83478#p83478

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:39 pm 

Quote:
Will the original Sholay setting be retained? “No. We will base it in the cities, but retain the revenge plot, of course. Who knows, we may name Gabbar Singh, Mr G Singh and make him wear a suit!” PNC says.

Oh No! Not cities again!! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:43 pm 

moserbaer sholay is finally out...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:50 pm 

NewDeep wrote:

show me your jalwa! :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:02 pm 

Zoran009 wrote:
NewDeep wrote:

show me your jalwa! :D

it might be the same as ultra ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:57 pm 

I have been looking at the 2 different versions I have got of Sholay after reading this thread.
the directors cut which is matted. I have been comparing it against the widescreen version DEI release.

To me it seems as if the Shot has been cropped from the top and bottom. If that is the case why don't they re-encode the DVD in the widescreen ratio that the director had in mind when it was shot, which I think is 221:100

Have a look the 2 screenshots below.

I have re-encoded the Directors cut t the 221:100 ratio to watch on my TV through my Xbox and it has actually turned out quite good. If anyone hasn't seen the directors cut in the full frame and see's it in the widescreen ratio one would not think it was actually shot full screen.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:51 pm 

sythlord2001 wrote:
I have been looking at the 2 different versions I have got of Sholay after reading this thread.
the directors cut which is matted. I have been comparing it against the widescreen version DEI release.

To me it seems as if the Shot has been cropped from the top and bottom. If that is the case why don't they re-encode the DVD in the widescreen ratio that the director had in mind when it was shot, which I think is 221:100

Have a look the 2 screenshots below.

I have re-encoded the Directors cut t the 221:100 ratio to watch on my TV through my Xbox and it has actually turned out quite good. If anyone hasn't seen the directors cut in the full frame and see's it in the widescreen ratio one would not think it was actually shot full screen.

good job! why not buy European wide screen release then

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:07 am 

But isn't the European release the gabbar lives version?

If so, 3+ hr film and the villian still lives... I'll end up shooting the TV myself...lol

I remember watching the full length the 1st time I saw it and thought why is gabbar still alive after 3+ hrs and they have killed off Amithabh .. and hating it for that reason.. I WAS a huge fan of Big B's early work. (Thoough After Nishabd and Aag I am losing respect for the guy)

I probably will get the European version anyway... even if its the Gabbar lives version, but am waiting to see if someone releases it in Dolby Stereo / Surround.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:49 pm 

sythlord2001 wrote:
But isn't the European release the gabbar lives version?

If so, 3+ hr film and the villian still lives... I'll end up shooting the TV myself...lol

I remember watching the full length the 1st time I saw it and thought why is gabbar still alive after 3+ hrs and they have killed off Amithabh .. and hating it for that reason.. I WAS a huge fan of Big B's early work. (Thoough After Nishabd and Aag I am losing respect for the guy)

I probably will get the European version anyway... even if its the Gabbar lives version, but am waiting to see if someone releases it in Dolby Stereo / Surround.

Revised Dolby surround version of DEI where GABAR lives unfortunately the best sounding one imho.

European release is PROG, SPLIT on two disc, looks the best. I think, you can mange changing end of European dvd by cut/paste your revised, GABAR end, remastered version..just a thought! So you don't have to do any further damage/destruction!

as far AB is concerned, he has done enough 3rd class work to loose his respect as a great actor! add to that paheli ka 2 minute ka gypsy, over board blacki, and and JBJ ka gypsy hegda!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:52 pm 

I probably still will get the Euro version, as I put my DEI version on yesterday when I uploaded the shots and was quite shocked to see how bad the print is.

Where as it comes to Amithabh, I actually thought he was ok in Black, but because of all the rubbish he had done running upto that it didn't really stand out.

This is what I think his filmography should have been since his big comeback Mrityudaata

Bade Miyan Chote miyan (1999) - This should have been his comeback movie and even though Govinda out performed him, it was worth watching him on screen with Amit Kumar as his playback.

Sooryavansham (1999) - A Good Story and good performance by AB. He Should have let his son play the younger Amithabh's role, but he did do a good job. If this movie was made between 1985 - 1990 it would have been a hit.

Aks (2001) - Again a good movie and role, though Rakesh Mehra kinda lost the plot in the 2nd half

Aakhen (2002) - A Clever Movie, great job by all.

Kaante (2002) - Though a rip-off of Reservoir dogs I enjoyed it.

Khakee (2004) - Fantastic Movie, great Story and a great performance role

Dev (2004) - Again, great movie and story

Black (2005)

Sarkar (2005)

Ek Ajnabee (2005) - Even though a 99% rip off of Man of Fire I still liked this.

And maybe call it a day there He would have still had some credibility. And what the hell iis with the goatee beard.. please get rid of that. Its like he is playing the same character in all his films. Look at the great Pran, he had different get-ups for every movie he did.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next