It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:17 pm 

NewDeep wrote:
rana wrote:
NewDeep, you provided great discussion on Sholay versions, but whatever you wrote in this post is just up side down. Most of it.

Refer:
http://www.zulm.net/modules.php?op=modl ... 77f9fdb1ae
I am extremely sorry if I have written anything that may be confusing and/or inaccurate. Rana, can you tell me exactly what all is "upside down"? Thx :-)

rana wrote:

BTW, as stated before elsewhere, Cut 45% from top and bottom from the EROS Director's Cut version and you get the 70mm theatrical print. Cut further 35% from the sides and you get the DEI-EROS version.

-
My point here is that even the EROS-204-minute version appears to be lacking some image from the right-hand side. On the EROS-204-minute-version (which appears to be "fullframe"), check the scene where Amitabh and Dharam are shown back-to-back -- guns in hand, shooting the dacoits who'd come to collect their bodies (after Sachin's killing and the village gathering scene) -- you'll see (even on the EROS-204-minute version) that though Dharam is fully visible, Amitabh is not---he appears to be cropped, his arms are not entirely visible. Since Amitabh is facing the right and shooting in that direction, and since this is the scene that appears "cut" on the right-hand-side, it may be that the entire EROS-204-minutes transfer is framed in such a way that some portion from the right-hand side is cut. (I'm hoping to soon compare the "right hand sides" of the ULTRA DVD--because it is said to have the 2.35:1 aspect ratio, the EROS-204-minute DVD, and the Malaysian VCD. The DEI version, as you rightly say, is already cropped, and therefore would not feature in this comparison. But like I previously said, even the DEI starting sequence appears to be 2.35:1 as long as the starring is shown, but soon after starring, the DEI appears to be cropped/zoomed in to 1.85:1---the proof is the different sizes of the black bars in the DEI transfer--bigger bars in the "starring" sequence and smaller bars in the rest of the DEI movie.)

My other point was http://www.zulm.net/modules.php?op=modl ... le&sid=103 -- where it is said that the DVD author for one of the editions is DEI ---When I read the descriptions on the back-cover of the DEI version, I realized that DEI were only "marketing" Sholay in the U.S. -- meaning distributing discs of Sholay in the U.S, but not "authoring" the discs or "making" them. The "making" of even the DEI was done by Eros London. Later, when DEI-Eros went separate ways, Eros U.S. started marketing the DVDs... this is what I think happened, and if true, we should make corrections at http://www.zulm.net/modules.php?op=modl ... le&sid=103

For Harry_Rasul - yes what you say is what I also remember. Do post your notes if and when you find any fact that says Gabbar was not meant to die.

For CrazyDVDBuyer - yep, Sholay is always "repeat value" -- even in discussions LOL ;-)

Newdeep, I must have understood incorrectly, what you were trying to say. I thought you wre saying that EROS director's cut is cropped from sides as compared to DEI-EROS. Anyway, in your next post you have clarified it. We all have been wondering whether there really is even more picture width available in any version as the film was reportedly shot on 1.45:1 or 1.66:1.

As you clarified, I'll delete my comment in the above post.

----------------------------

DEI-EROS DVDs history:

When Indian DVDs started coming out, EROS DVDs had the rights and DEI was authoring and marketing for EROS as well as EROS themselves were selling the same DVDs. Later, the partenership broke off. DEI had intellectual rights to their authorings and hence EROS reauthored all the DEI-EROS DVDs again (inferior quality). DEI continued to market DEI-EROS DVDs claiming/ arguing that the old contract still allowed them. Later, DEI stopped marketting DEI-EROS DVDs but these DVDs kept on coming in the market. EROS sued DEI. DEI declared bankruptcy. But, DEI-EROS superior DVDs still keep on conming in the market. Who is behind this?? Could be any one. Pirates, old DEI partners, EROS themselves or "any one's guess".

Whoever is bringing these DEI-EROS DVDs in the market, it's great to have them as these are better than EROS's non-DEI versions.

Post subject: Re: amazon and yesasia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:41 pm 

NewDeep wrote:
3. http://www.yesasia.com - simply the best service in the world in more than one way - their shipping is excellent - within 12 days (to India), their customer service is highly efficient and polite - and it's a pleasure to shop with this Hong Kong based site.

Not to digress but i am just curios - do you not have troubles with customs in india when ordering stuff from these international retailers ?? . The reason i am asking is because i am moving back to india and was wondering how i might be able to "buy" these from such places :?: - if you feel its disruptive to your discussions on SHOLAY ( which btw i love ) please PM me with details .

Thanks

Post subject: Sholay Sholay Sholay
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:14 pm 

dvdisoil wrote:
...Not to digress but i am just curios - do you not have troubles with customs in india when ordering stuff from these international retailers ?? ...
My experience so far has been that if you buy online from international stores, especially these three -- yesasia, amazon.co.uk, and amazon.com -- and if you get your packet delivered by airmail -- and if your total shopping is less than USD50, then the packets reach safely and securely to your doorstep -- no customs problem. BUT IF you order delivery by courier, meaning overnite services such as TNT Global and maybe FedEx, then you may be forced to pay customs duty. Please check this thread - http://www.therewindforums.co.uk/forums ... 7483#57483 -- it will take you only 10 seconds to register on the site.

rana wrote:
...We all have been wondering whether there really is even more picture width available in any version as the film (SHOLAY) was reportedly shot on 1.45:1 or 1.66:1.
I am really looking forward to viewing my Gold VHS tapes again. Like I said previously, the Gold VHS have a very minimum black bar area on top and bottom of the movie. Such a small area is possible only when the aspect ratio is 1.66:1 or lesser but greater than 1.33:1. So it could be possible that Gold VHS have the same aspect ratio as the on the original negatives... Also, if the film was actually shot on 1.66:1 or 1.45:1 then there is no way that EROS-204-minute-DVD would have the entire image in its 4:3 frame.

bhaskar wrote:
...then I realised that the Ultra DVD (SHOLAY) has no subtitles...
First of all, thanks a ton Bhaskar for your efforts with the screenshots, and as Rana rightly says, we could do with a little more "fine-tuning." :-)
My Ultra DVD has English subtitles and extremely good ones at that. Nice job! You can check with your vendor again for the latest edition of the Ultra DVD. It is said to be available in both PAL and NTSC.

Meanwhile, it will be great if someone can post these shots:

1. Opening scene (just before starring begins) of the train stopping at the station -- from the EROS 204 minute DVD.

2. Exactly the same scene -- from the ULTRA DVD.

rana wrote:
In the 70s, some/ many non widescreen theatres did get to see 4:3 presentation where additional picture at the top and bottom was visible.
You are right Rana. And even till date, some theatres show open-matte 4:3 in theatres. I studied in Nanded -- a town in Maharashtra India. There was this old-style theatre called "Ganesh Talkies." They seemed to have their own print of Sholay and would exhibit it once every four / five months. So we enjoyed Sholay screenings all through! Now what Ganesh showed was always non-widescreen -- they always showed open-matte--with additional picture on top and bottom... and I remember that the picture centred on the screen and the sides of the screen were always blank (the Ganesh Talkies screen was meant to show cinemascope movies and therefore was wide) --- and I also remember that a small portion was always projected outside the screen onto the walls on top and bottom. This probably indicates that Sholay open-matte was not exactly 4:3 or 1:33:1 but slightly different.

Post subject: Re: Sholay Sholay Sholay
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:49 pm 

NewDeep wrote:
My experience so far has been that if you buy online from international stores, especially these three -- yesasia, amazon.co.uk, and amazon.com -- and if you get your packet delivered by airmail -- and if your total shopping is less than USD50, then the packets reach safely and securely to your doorstep -- no customs problem. BUT IF you order delivery by courier, meaning overnite services such as TNT Global and maybe FedEx, then you may be forced to pay customs duty. Please check this thread - http://www.therewindforums.co.uk/forums ... 7483#57483 -- it will take you only 10 seconds to register on the site.

Thanks Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:04 pm 

NewDeep wrote:
Meanwhile, it will be great if someone can post these shots:

1. Opening scene (just before starring begins) of the train stopping at the station -- from the EROS 204 minute DVD.

2. Exactly the same scene -- from the ULTRA DVD.

Screenshots as requested:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:37 pm 

bhaskar wrote:
Screenshots as requested:

Wow Bhaskar! Good going!!!

I can clearly see a little more image on the Right Hand Side in the Ultra DVD (compared to the EROS-204-minute DVD). Provided Bhaskar was lucky enough to get the exact same shot -- the exact frame.

This is exciting stuff!!!

Now, like I wrote on this thread, I believe the DEI version starts with the same aspect ratio as the ULTRA DVD, but after the "credits/starring" sequence is over, the DEI becomes cropped (for the rest of the movie).

Can someone post this exact opening shot from DEI?
Thx!!!!

Last edited by newDEEP [go-green] on Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:39 pm 

Well, let me tell you bottom line, there wont be a better Sholay than revised DEI/EROS version, with dolby surround..period!

Post subject: full
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:43 pm 

arsh wrote:
Well, let me tell you bottom line, there wont be a better Sholay than revised DEI/EROS version, with dolby surround..period!

To some extent I'd agree with you. But I'm sure even you'll agree Sholay is more than just sound... so the search continues ;-)
(Who knows the DVD with 5.1 of the newly re-released Sholay, 2003/4, actually outdoes all existing ones? Especially if it would show the "full" image area?)

Can you post the DEI opening shot? Thx.

Post subject: Re: full
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:45 pm 

NewDeep wrote:
arsh wrote:

To some extent I'd agree with you. But I'm sure even you'll agree Sholay is more than just sound... so the search continues ;-)

Can you post the DEI opening shot? Thx.

I agree, and I wish you and all of us the best of Sholay, that does not look like much reality though!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:32 pm 

NewDeep wrote:
Can someone post this exact opening shot from DEI?
Thx!!!!

:arrow: Anyone :?:
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:10 pm 

I can describe the DEI-EROS opening shot:

As compared to Ultra, DEI-EROS DVD basically covers the same width, shot panned slightly, very slightly, to the left. DEI-EROS also has a hair bit less at the top and bottom.

But, DEI-EROS opening shot extra width and what is in Ultra, if included in EROS 204 min version will change it from the present 1.29:1 to 1.33:1 (.01 extra at left and .03 extra at ther right). Still, no where near 1.45:1.

--------------------

P.S.

Comparing, side by side, DEI-EROS, Ultra and EROS, PQ of DEI-EROS, makes you feel like throwing the other two in the garbage. DEI-EROS is that much better.

I just wish, DEI-EROS had not cut the picture from the sides, in the remainder of the film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:01 am 

Folks,

I have the DEI-EROS opening shot captured on my computer. But I don't think I can post it without uploading it to the web. Is there a way to do that, or should I just pm the file to one of you....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:19 am 

Use this --> http://www.imageshack.us/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:51 am 

This is the DEI-EROS opening shot, the black bars sure seem bigger than the Ultra edition...Image

Last edited by harry_rasul on Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: ramlal's feet
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:31 pm 

harry_rasul wrote:
This is the DEI-EROS opening shot, the black bars sure seem bigger than the Ultra edition...
Thanks a ton Harry_Rasul!

If you notice Bhaskar's shots, in the scene captured, if you draw a straight horizontal line under Ramlal's feet, that line touches the bottom of the railway engine too.

IN your shot, the engine is still a little far away.

Can you replace your shot? That will really help compare :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next