It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:31 pm 

By Taran Adarsh

In a path-breaking exercise, a foreign studio is planning to remake its English films in Hindi. One of the reasons for doing so could be the fact that several producers in Bollywood seem to plagiarise Hollywood flicks, without actually acquiring the remaking rights of the films.

To start with, the studio has decided to remake a Colin Farrell starrer, which did reasonably well at the box-office. If the strategy succeeds and other studios follow suit, some Hindi film producers, who shamelessly lift stories and call it their 'original' work, will find themselves in a tight spot.

hmm? I wonder Which?

Recruit?

Edited By hutbay on 1055353037

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:34 pm 

Moulin Rouge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:05 pm 

definetely sounds like the recruit - but i'm leaning towards phone booth?

would make sense - fox is already slowly getting into Indian film finance...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:24 pm 

It might very well be PB, but I doubt it. Will Indian audiences go for a movie that takes place entirely in and around a phone booth?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:26 pm 

If they have PATRONIZED BHOOT in same building!!

Man, these INDIAN KOUM is VERY UNPREDICTABLE!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:57 pm 

If it is indeed Phone Booth, they have to keep the length of the film short. Few people would be able to take 2.5 hours of a guy in a phone booth. I think PB was only about 80 minutes long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:33 am 

How will they do song and dance numbers in a Phone Booth. Ah, the good ol' dream sequence.

-Bh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:11 pm 

Confirmed: PHONE BOOTH

Why Saif is edgy

Gavin O'Malley | June 12, 2003 19:23 IST

The buzz is that Twentieth Century Fox India, which is based in Mumbai, has been approached by several Bollywood production companies to make a Hindi version of the Hollywood thriller, Phone Booth.

When rediff.com contacted Fox India's managing director Aditya Shastri, he said, "Yes, we have been approached." But he refused to disclose the names of the Indian production companies involved or the American films for which they have shown an interest.

Shastri added that Fox is considering the unspecified proposals and will need three to six months to come to a decision.

Apparently, Saif Ali Khan is being considered for the lead role essayed by Irish actor Colin Farrell (Minority Report, The Recruit). "I have heard rumours, but nobody has approached me directly," said Khan, who is now shooting for Ram Gopal Varma's Ek Haseena Thi. The film, which is a Varma production in collaboration with Fox, is being directed by Shriram Raghavan and stars Urmila Matondkar and Khan in a negative role.

The idea of working in a remake doesn't exactly thrill the 32-year-old actor. "The American film [Phone Booth] is so recent and famous. Most of the people I know would rather just see the original," he said.

Khan's initial success came with Naresh Malhotra's Yeh Dillagi (Akshay Kumar, Kajol), a remake of Billy Wilder's Sabrina. "Yeh Dillagi was changed quite a lot and was just very well done," he argued. "I get a bit edgy when [the remakes] are so recent. It's not very creative, is it?"

Phone Booth was originally scheduled to open in November 2002, but was delayed because the plot bore uncanny similarities to the sniper shootings in Maryland and Virginia at that time.

Directed by Joel Schumacher (A Time To Kill, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin) and written by Larry Cohen, Phone Booth is a thriller about an unsuspecting everyman (Farrell) who becomes a pawn in a madman's game when he answers the call in the wrong phone booth.

With a budget of just $13 million, Phone Booth was filmed in 11 days. The critically acclaimed thriller grossed an unexceptional $15 million in its first weekend in the US. It grossed $26.6 million after 10 days of release and is expected to earn nearly $50 million domestically.

rediff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:01 pm 

what is the twist going to be for the Indian audience?

and the running time for the movie was about 81 minutes which is way short for an Indian audience, because they pay much higher price for ticket and they want atleast 2 or more hour of entertainment.
So we can see them adding lot more plot before the charecter get into the phone booth, may be a love story, few songs and then 81 minutes of phone booth action...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:07 pm 

ADD 6 songs, it will, be 2.30 hrs!u got it!!