It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:25 pm 

I went to see BHOOT today. It opened at a multiplex in East Hartford Connecticut. No advertising for it, not even an ad in the paper, but I saw it listed in the paper and made the drive.

A question though. Are any of the prints of the film subtitled? I started watching the film and was surprised that it was not subtitled.

Why bother releasing it to US theatres if it isn't subtitled? In my area, there isn't a large enough Hindi speaking audience to fill up the theatre for one showing, let alone 5 showings a day for a week. I would love to see this film catch on with audiences, but it is impossible this way.

I don't speak Hindi so was kind of scared. But, since Ramgopal Varma is one of my favorite directors, I stayed with it.

For the most part, I could make out what was going on.

Very good film, although I don't know if I would say it was as good as KAUN (another Varma /Urmila film I watched without subtitles).

I did jump out of my seat several times, although they had the sound so loud I think that had something to do with it.

I will have to get the subtitled DVD to figure out exactly what was going on (although I think I got most of it) but I did enjoy it quite a bit. Not Ramgopal's best, but better than most of what I have seen this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:00 pm 

No subtitles on the print I saw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:38 am 

I should also mention that I was the only person in the theatre when I saw it. I don't know how the film has been doing in other screenings, but I can't imagine it is making much money in my area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:25 am 

Moviezzz wrote:
I should also mention that I was the only person in the theatre when I saw it.

Are you sure Manjeet wasn't there :D ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:25 pm 

Moviezzz wrote:
I did jump out of my seat several times, although they had the sound so loud I think that had something to do with it.

It must have been a DTS print.
Proper surround and that too loud, definitely adds to the movie going experience. Specially for a horror film. Scary sounds coming from your back (off screen) will definitely scare you much more.

I like to hear lound sounds in theatrical screenings. At least, to the level as the director intended. Unfortunately, I haven't seen too many films with loud sounds. Only the trailers. That's why I enjoy trailers more. Even James Bond, Die Another Day that I saw in THX certified theatre, the peak sound level was 80 dB (I took the dB meter with me). I think, audio level for an action film is supposed to peak at 110dB or even at 115 dB for short bursts. 70 - 80 dB is OK for dialogs.

Rana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:27 pm 

I dont THINK, BHOOT has VERY LOUD sound in REMIX as seen in ACTION FILMS!!

BUT SOUND REMIX has been USED very EFFECTIVELY, to make movie more EFFECTIVE..IMHO