It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 8:45 pm 

and U guys know the answer:

Talent..MY FOOT, just S***

http://rediff.com/movies/2003/may/22list.htm

HOME | MOVIES

These women are stunningly beautiful. They have right attitude. And the determination to prove that, contrary to the age-old myth, models can act.

What will the box office decide? Will they disappear into oblivion? Will they make it big?

Only Time, and the silver screen, will tell. Meanwhile, here is a list of wannabe models aiming for the big league.

Celina Jaitley
Miss India-Universe 2001 Celina Jaitley will debut in Feroz Khan's Jaanasheen. She is expected to have a dream debut; Khan is famous for showcasing his heroines in a very sexy manner. The film also stars Fardeen Khan. Shot mainly in Australia and Afghanistan, Jaanasheen is expected to hit the theatres in August.
Feroz Khan has signed her for two more films -- Shaadi.com and a yet-untitled venture.

Celina says, "I have heard many scary things about the film industry. But I am the daughter of an Army man; I will not go down without a fight. In Jaanasheen, I play a glamorous Anglo-Indian girl who has a lot of attitude. I think too much is being made of my bikini scene at the beach. Do you expect me to wear a sari on the beach?"

Celina is a trained Kathak dancer. In Jaanasheen, she has worked with Hollywood choreographers Caesar and Alvina. Celina will be seen doing the Tango and the Spanish Flamenco. She will even belly dance to Arabian tunes for two of the songs in the film.

Modelling assignments: Celina has modelled for Chandrani Pearls, Body Basics (USA), Bata, Angora Watches, Mother Diary and Night Angel Perfume.

Lara Dutta
Gladrags Supermodel 1995 and Miss Universe 2000 Lara Dutta makes her debut in Raj Kanwar's Andaaz, which also stars Akshay Kumar and Priyanka Chopra.
She says, "Andaaz revolves around three characters -- Raj, Kajal and Jiya. I play Kajal, who is full of life and behaves like a tomboy. She plays football with the boys. She and Raj are childhood friends. Then something happens that changes her. It destroys her spirit. Kajal was not an easy character to play."

She stars opposite Akshay in Madhur Bhandarkar's Aan as well. Her next film is Vicky Nihalani's Mumbai Se Aayaa Mera Dost, opposite Abhishek Bachchan. Her kitty also includes an untitled film with Firoz Nadiawala.

Before she won the crown, Lara apparently wanted to be a journalist. "What could I do? Destiny made me Miss Universe. Once you win such a big pageant, only films will give you the same kind of profile and sustain the name and fame you have achieved over a period of time," she explains.

Andaaz hits the screens on May 23.

Modelling assignments: Lara has walked the ramp for Sangeeta Chopra, Lubna Adams, J J Vallaya, Rina Dhaka, Manish Malhotra and Tarun Tahilani. Her prominent ads include Synergy, Walls Icecream and Siyaram's Suiting.

Katrina Kaif
This lovely, lissome lass from London is the new face in Kaizad Guztad's Boom.
Katrina has taken diction and dance classes to prepare for her film career. "Since Boom was in English, I didn't really have too many dialogues in Hindi. I am trying to get comfortable with the language and looking at a lot of offers. I also get a lot of help from the industry people about the films I should sign next," she says.

Katrina flew down from London looking for modelling work, but was signed for Boom within two weeks. She says, "It is a fun project -- partly real and partly fictional. It is all about how the fashion world meets the crime world. I didn't have to do much research for the role. I plays a model."

The stunner grew up in Hawaii and moved to London when she was 14, where she started out as a model. She was soon signed up by the Models 1 Agency.

Modelling assignments: Among her more prestigious campaigns are La Sanza and Arcadius. She has also walked the ramp for London Fashion Week.

Padmalaxmi
Better known as Salman Rushdie's former girlfriend, Padmalaxmi is an established model who travelled all the way from Los Angeles to Mumbai to try her luck in Hindi cinema! Like Katrina, she plays one of the models in Kaizad Gustad's Boom.
Padmalaxmi was discovered by a model co-ordinator in a cafe! "I did my first modelling assignment when I was 20," she says.

"My television show helped me a lot. I was hosting Rai Television's Domenica In, Italy's highest rated show. Later, I also hosted The Melting Pot -- Padma's Passport for The Food Network, where I cooked diverse low-fat cuisine from my best-selling book, Easy Exotic."

Her first movie was Carribeans, a German-Italian co-production. "I played a 17th century Carribean princess and was asked to gain 20 pounds before we started shooting," she reveals.

Modelling assignments: Padmalaxmi appeared in numerous fashion editorials and walked the runway for Ralph Lauren, Emmanuel Ungaro and Sonia Rykiel.

Reshmi Ghosh
Like most of her contemporaries, Reshmi Ghosh, Femina Miss India Earth 2002, too turned towards films.
Designer Ritu Kumar feels Reshmi is an extremely beautiful woman, with a strong sense of Indian identity.

Born and brought up in Kolkata, this Bengali beauty is looking forward to her debut film Saazish, which will release later this year. She is also starring in Irfan Khan's untitled venture. "The role is on the lines of the [actress] Monica Bedi-Abu Salem [underworld gangster] affair," she says.

Modelling assignments: Reshmi has walked the ramp for choreographers Marc Robinson, Rashmi Virmani and Ashish Banerjee and designers Kiran Uttam Ghosh, Sabyasachi Mukherjee and Anamika Khanna. Her resume also includes television commercials like Junior Horlicks and Coca-Cola and appearances in Bengali music videos.

Neha Dhupia
Miss India-Universe 2002 , Neha Dhupia came into limelight with the television serial Rajdhani on Star Plus. She also featured in the music band Euphoria's video, Shanana.
Neha, who is barely 22, makes her debut in Harry Baweja's Qayamat, opposite Ajay Devgan. She replaced Gracy Singh, who was uncomfortable with the role.

"I was told [director] Harry [Baweja] was looking for a new face for Qayamat. I met Harry, he took my screen test. Thereafter, I was out of the country for 10 days. When I came back, I was told I had been chosen," she says.

There are many shades to her character in Qayamat. "I happen to fall in and out of love with Ajay. I am forced by circumstances to believe things that are not true."

The confident Virgo adds, "I am here to stay. I am struck by the arc lights."

Modelling assignments: Neha featured in a number of ad campaigns like Reebok, Pepsi, Gillet, Maruti and Mitsubishi Lancer.

Netanya Singh
Former Miss Kolkata and Miss North-East Netanya Singh has signed two films. In Nitin Manmohan's Nayi Padosan. she is chased by four guys. Directed by Tharun Kumar, the film is a remake of Mehmood's Padosan. She is also working in Partho Ghosh's Dil Jo Na Keh Saka with Milind Soman and Rahul Dev.
Netanya discloses, "In Nayi Padosan I am a young bubbly character who loves partying, dancing, living life to the fullest. In Dil Jo Na Keh Saka, I play a 25-year-old who kills her husband. Partho's film is 45 per cent ready. Nitin's film will be my first release."

Modelling assignments: Netanya says, "I have done a few ramp shows and a few press ads like Kala Niketan Sarees, Vishal Sarees and Bentex Watches. I didn't want to make my face common by appearing in too many ads."

Rimi Sen
Rimi Sen, who shot into fame after her Coca Cola commercial with Aamir Khan, debuts with Ravi Chopra's Baghbaan.
Ravi signed Rimi after he saw her in the Coke ad. "I was floored when I heard the role. I was very nervous for my screen test. It was a scene where I had to fight with my grandmother [Hema Malini]. At least 20 girls were competing for this role. Five days later, I was chosen. I play a 16-year-old spoilt brat living in the fast lane. My character loves discos and boys. My grandmother tries to reform me. Actually, I am 20-years-old and my make-up artiste had to sweat out in order to make me look four years younger," chuckles the Kolkata girl.

Baghbaan, which also stars Amitabh Bachchan, is expected to release this year.

Edited By arsh on 1053636422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 2:54 am 

Quote:
Talent..MY FOOT, just S***

I cannot and will not ignore your point here and most probably agree with you. However, upon the advise of my mirror on the wall I will put my money on Celina Jaitley, keep in mind though this is the same mirror that said I have an ugly nose as I have reported in another thread :D :D

Celina Jaitley all the way I'm impressed with her resume :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 3:27 am 

I really like Lara Dutta and think shes the most eloquent beauty queen we've had, but her movie roles seem really dumb. I cant believe that even the most bored person in Bhatinda would pay three rupees to see 'Mumbai se aaya mera dost'.

Celina is a whore. She should quit already. If you guys have read any of her stardust interviews you'll know that shes probably even more savvy that Heidi Fleiss when it comes to gaining publicity. Easily the WORST miss india we have ever had. Do you remember her answer when the Miss Universe judge asked her 'If you could change one event in history, what would it be?'. She said 'When I was very young my father was in the military and one day i got sick and fell and i was in bed for a long time and if i change anything i will change that i would not hurt myself then because it was painful also'. YUCK!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 12:45 pm 

Quote:
Celina is a whore

Hmm.. well I'll be. I had no clue. Oh well..............

:D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:37 pm 

i put my money on no-one of these......... flop all the way.....
the only beauty queen who i think has evolved to a good actress is sushmita sen........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 3:03 pm 

I agree!!Buff, mere moun se ilfaaz chura liya!!

I would love to see her opposite Salman, in Bajirao, if SLB is sensible? and his head is not in Poooo!! :baaa: :hmm:

Man, these beauty queens, so called STINK!! big time!!

Zeenat aman, had her own niche! and I guess, JUHU CHAWLA was MISS>>something in INDIA? too

BTW!! Amrita Rao, is GOING GREAT GUNS..SWeaping BIG projects/...Man o man!! How did I prdict that from AB KE BARAS only?

BTW!! buffy, have u seen AB KE BARAS? yet..Give me your TRUE/Honest opinion..Pls? :baaa:

Edited By arsh on 1053702398

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 4:40 pm 

arsh bhai i havent seen ab ke baras.. i gotta watch that sometime. i did see ishq vishk and thought Rao was pretty good.....
Juhi chawla was a former miss India too....... she was always good in chirpy kinda roles.....
Aish is also very limited as an actress but I am happy she is at Cannes jury......
Abhi andaaz ka review mein to dekh hi liya hai Lara dutta no good... Priyanka chopra might do well... as she has had good feedback for both her movies....
celina jaitley no hope...... eventually i am gonna put her in those sonam / kimi katkar categories i am sure !!
overall models = wooden= bad actors/actresses
in the long run it is your talent that gets you far.....