It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 11:52 am 

Rajkumar Santoshi is in the midst of KHAKEE, which stars some of the biggest names in the business. But the project he's going to start for a South producer will be bigger than all his previous films. In fact, it should prove to be the biggest Hindi film Indian cinema has ever produced, in terms of the star cast as well as the budget [it could touch or exceed Rs. 100 crores, Santoshi divulges].

Titled MAHABHARAT, the film will be made in two parts simultaneously. “Since I'd be shooting the film at a stretch, the duration of the film will exceed 5 hours. Hence, the film will be released in two separate versions of 2.30 hours each,” Santoshi tells me.

He continues, “Like it happens in Hollywood, there's always a sequel that follows a hit film. Like the HARRY POTTER series or the THE LORD OF THE RINGS follow-ups. We hope to try something like that in India this time.”

However, Santoshi clarifies that both the films won't be released simultaneously. “Though both would be ready at the same time, we would release the second part after a 6-month gap at least,” he states.

As far as the casting goes, Santoshi has already pencilled some of the biggest names for the two films. “Amitabh Bachchan will enact the role of Bhishma Pitamah, Sunny Deol will be seen as Karan, Sanjay Dutt will essay the role of Duryodhan, Ajay Devgan would be seen in the role of Lord Krishna and Arjun Rampal will play Arjun. So far, only these names have been finalised,” he discloses.

And Draupadi? Who would enact that role? “Aishwarya Rai,” he adds quickly. The project will roll once Santoshi gets free from KHAKEE and the A. Purnachandra Rao-produced project he has just signed, starring Amitabh and Abhishek Bachchan together for the first time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 11:53 am 

Details in this article at Indiafm.....sounds wicked!!

http://www.indiafm.com/scoop/03/may/130 ... ndex.shtml

.....but the casting seems a bit strange in some instances....

AB as Bhishma
Sunny Deol as Karan
Sanjay Dutt as Duryodhan
Ajay Devgan as Krishna
Arjun Rampal as Arjun
Aishwarya Rai as Draupadi

.....and these guys are apparently finalised....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:11 pm 

Sunny and Santoshi back together..

Isnt Aish wife of all??? ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:12 pm 

Well, it is a DUPLICATE thread on MAHABHARTA???? which one was first?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 4:00 am 

Ajay Devgan as Lord Krishna! Please tell me this is a joke! Ajay Devgan is a good actor, but him as Lord Krishna is a No-No! They should've got someone new.

I guessed right in who were going to play Bhishma and Arjun. Sanjay Dutt may be quite good as Duryodhan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 11:37 am 

and it'll probably never happen too..

this project has been rumoured on and off for years...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 1:27 pm 

Mr_Khiladi wrote:
Ajay Devgan as Lord Krishna! Please tell me this is a joke! Ajay Devgan is a good actor, but him as Lord Krishna is a No-No! They should've got someone new.

I guessed right in who were going to play Bhishma and Arjun. Sanjay Dutt may be quite good as Duryodhan.

That pretty much sums up what I was thinking! As much as I like Ajay Devgan as an actor, I just don't think he would suit the role of Krishna. I'm also unsure of Sanjay Dutt as Duryodhan - I don't really think he's got the arrogance Duryodhan needs.

The rest so far seems ok.......my predictions for other characters:

Bhim - Sunil Shetty
Yudhistir - Jackie Shroff
Abhimanyu - a newcomer maybe? can't think of any actor in this role.

What do you guys think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 1:55 pm 

I think in mYTHOLOGY, LORD KRISHNA wa a GOOD LOOKING GUY???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 2:32 pm 

Lord Krishna was supposed to be Sanwale(dark).. so maybe thats why they chose Ajay Devgan.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 3:25 pm 

On an off note.....does anyone remember a project started by Sattee Shourie (ex-mother-in-law of Boney Kapoor) on the Mahabharata in the late seventies/early eighties, with Shashi Kapoor to play Krishna....I wonder who was to direct that film.....I remember seeing the mahurat photos in a film magazine with Shashi kapoor in an all resplendant getup of Lord Krishna......i was very excited that the Mahabharata was to come alive on the big screen, ofcourse the project simply petered out after that.....

IMHO the subject really needs to be given to someone young and talented and with that fire in his/her belly to do some landmark work.....Shyam Benegal in his younger days(because it needs the energy of youth to see through the project) would have been the perfect film maker to have attempted it...but Santoshi I am afraid will botch it up....it really needs someone with a profound understanding of the epic to be able to interpret it on the big screen, which Santoshi sadly lacks....(going by his past track record)....but hey, I am always optimistic to be proven wrong :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 8:16 pm 

The fact is that any film like this should never use established stars in prominent roles, the primary reason for this is their established personalities. Also it seems that bollywood directors seem to have no concept of trying to match the physical attributes of actors with their roles. Amitabh Bachan will come accross as a joker in the role of Bhishma, just as he did in the role of Indra in the film 'Agni Varsha'. When will bollywood learn? This film might succeed at the box office simply due to the popularity of the Mahabharata but the fact is that this film is doomed artistically from the very begining due to it's star cast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:18 pm 

On second thought santoshi may make a mess of it with all these big names, but nevertheless it'll probably be a hit and start some sort of revival.

But still I can't stand the thought of Ajay Devgan as Lord Krishna (nothing to do with him being dark) but I'm sure there are many people more suitable for the role. This is just terrible casting! And I thought Salman Khan as Lord Ram was bad enough!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 3:21 pm 

I heard today on the radio that the cast is confirmed and all have been signed. And Aishwariya Rai will play Draupadi. Also the film will be 5 hours long, released as 2 parts (each 2 & 1/2hrs) with a 6 month interval between them. From another source I heard it may be the (next) most expensive Indian film ever.

It sounds good, but I'm still not happy with Ajay Devgan as Lord Krishna. Is there any way to get in contact with this Mr Santoshi?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 3:48 pm 

Pathetic, 5 hrs!! RKS is CRAZY!! I heard SALLU group making RAMAYNA!! nOW WAR OF RAMAYANAS, after BHAGATs!!

Damn, it, leave these EPICS to TV guys...