It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 10:43 pm 

Aishwarya Rai to star in period epic The Rising

Adam Minns in Cannes 15 May 2003 04:05

Bollywood superstar Aishwarya Rai - who paraded here yesterday alongside her fellow Cannes jury members - is to star in Capitol Films' The Rising, a period epic set against the 1857 Indian mutiny that fuses western and Indian filmmaking styles.

The story of the friendship between an Indian soldier and British commander William Gordon will feature Bollywood megastars including Rai and Lagaan's Aamir Khan alongside UK actors, who are to be confirmed.

Produced by Bandit Queen's Bobby Bedi, the film will be roughly 50-50 English and Hindi language. Leading Indian composer A R Rahman is scoring, but singing will only feature when it occurs naturally such as a scene in a brothel with musicians.

"We are very much aiming for an Indian movie that will crossover, something that can reach both worlds" said Sharon Harel, joint head of UK-based Capitol.

Rai, who starred in last year's Cannes title Devdas, will start shooting The Rising hard on the heels of Gurinder Chadha's Pride And Prejudice: The Bollywood Musical, another ambitious Indian-Western fusion. Director Ketan Mehta, whose credits include the hit Mirch Masala, will start principle photography on The Rising from July for five months in India.

"Other films might shoot over that period of time but for 60 or 70 days within that," said Bedi. "This production should spend 120 days shooting."

Bedi has arranged a significant part of the financing through his company Kaleidoscope Entertainment and film laboratory Adlabs.

--
nice news - on a side note, what the hell is ash wearing (makeup) at cannes? looks like a makebelieve doll!!??!!! :p yuck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 10:59 pm 

this is one of the pics that i'm talking about...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 11:40 pm 

Aamir and ASH, FRESH COMBINATIOn, I feel SORRY, SRK got SCREWED up, by Sallu, on CHALTE CHALTE!!

I always, wanted to see KAJOL and AAMIR as LEAD pair(bro/sis, kinda in ISHQ)till, finally, KAJOL, retired!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:20 am 

dograk wrote:

Yeeeeeeep! All painted up like a hussy! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 3:33 am 

Even though I personally think Aishwarya is finished (30 is just too old for her to be spreading her wings to go abroad) I do think she will still do us proud. That recent picture of her at Cannes looking like a circus monkey really made me think, though. Its quite sad how pathetic a Bollywood star is made up to look at events such as that. Why don't they just play Holi and drench her in rouge and then send her? She looks as bad as L'il Kim in that Lady Marmalade video. Honestly, for the first time Im so embarrassed for her. Either Neeta Lulla better shape up or she'd better get herself some new help. Also, if you guys notice, shes added on a few pounds and they are very unflattering (guess sitting around in a wheelchair all day does that to you)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:41 pm 

Kabir wrote:
Even though I personally think Aishwarya is finished (30 is just too old for her to be spreading her wings to go abroad)

I don't think so. Most of Hollywood's A list actresses are
in the 25-40 bracket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 11:53 pm 

mhafner wrote:
Kabir wrote:
Even though I personally think Aishwarya is finished (30 is just too old for her to be spreading her wings to go abroad)

I don't think so. Most of Hollywood's A list actresses are
in the 25-40 bracket.

Hollywoods A list actresses can act,

But most Indian A' list/Popular actrsses can't.

I can Only think of few (I mean only few) hindi films which Miss Rai was just above OK in the acting department, But in the Looks department, she still looks good For a thirty year old.

Name some contemporary "A list/Popular actrsses" who can act ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 12:28 pm 

seems as if she got that her makeup on that day was clownish - as she puts less on - but this time, her dress is quite funny :D

(btw, this is at the matrix premiere)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 2:01 pm 

Is that a Latex dominatrix style dress? :rolleyes: :;):

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 2:08 pm 

dograk wrote:

Here's another pic where she looked horrid. Unfortunately it can't be posted, you'll have to click on the link.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cms.dll....6497719

She did definately make an improvement at the Matrix premiere!