It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 12:35 pm 

Ishq Vishk

By Taran Adarsh

There's a myth in the industry that music video directors/ad film-makers can rarely make good commercial feature-films. For these makers, form holds more importance than content.

Also, very rarely does one witness a newcomer exploding on the screen with amazing talent.

The myth lies shattered. Ken Ghosh is a director to watch. And Shahid Kapur is the new star on the horizon.

Tips Films' ISHQ VISHK is straight out of Archie's. There's Veronica, there's Betty. Two girls loving the same guy. There's Jughead too, the confidant.

Shahid and Amrita Rao have grown up together. Amrita is a simpleton ['Behnji' for the gang!], while Shahid is forever looking for a glamorous companion. The two go through a tumultuous phase in their relationship when a glamorous girl [Shenaz Treasurywala] joins the college. Not just Shahid, but all the hunks can't keep their eyes off her.

Shahid tries a ploy to woo Shenaz and wins her attention subsequently. But, slowly and steadily, he realises that his heart beats for Amrita, not Shenaz.

The first thing that catches your attention in ISHQ VISHK is the youth factor. Right from the colours to the body language of every character in the film, it is evident that Ken Ghosh has targeted the flick at the youth.

The sole problem with ISHQ VISHK is its waferthin storyline. A story like this has been witnessed time and again by Hindi cinema buffs. But a weak plot gets sidetracked with the way Ken has treated the subject.

The film has its share of light-hearted scenes, in fact in ample doses. The nitty-gritty of college life has been presented so minutely that the college crowd will love it. The dialogues and the witty one-liners compliment the goings-on so beautifully that it makes the process of watching the film an enjoyable experience.

While the first half of the film has its share of enjoyable moments, the drama actually takes place in the post-interval portions.

Ken has handled the emotional moments – between Shahid and Amrita – brilliantly and your heart does go out for the girl who loves her childhood sweetheart unconditionally. The sequence in the birthday party, right till the climax, is proof of good writing, good direction and good acting.

Another asset of the film is its music [Anu Malik]. While practically every song is a treat to the ears, their picturisation is not just lavish but very stylised. The dance competition track ['Kya Mera Chehra Romantic Hai?'] is the best song, picturisation-wise, while the title track is a gem, lyrically speaking [Sameer].

Cinematography is in keeping with the mood of the film. Dialogues hold immense appeal for the youth. The sets and the overall look are first-rate.

Shahid Kapur is an actor to watch. He has all the qualities to hit the top slot. Not only is he good looking, but he is an amazing performer as well. Very original as a perormer, the youngster has handled the dramatic and emotional moments with flourish. He is an exceptional dancer as well. All he needs to do is pick and choose his forthcoming assignments with care, so that the journey to the top slot is minus hiccups.

Amrita Rao is a revelation. If she was quite okay in her first film, she is incredible in her second film. Here's an actress to watch. Her emotional sequences are so powerful that they are bound to melt even the stone-hearted. Only thing, she needs to go easy on her make-up.

Shenaz is confident. The length of her role is not substantial, but she does register an impact. Amongst the friends, Vishal Malhotra [Mambo] is excellent. He compliments Shahid at every step. Yash Tonk is a complete natural. Satish Shah, Neelima Azim, Upasna Singh and Anang Desai lend adequate support.

On the whole, ISHQ VISHK is a film that grows on you. The film will be loved not only for the youth factor, but a strong emotional base as well. Hit music and excellent promotion by Tips will ensure that its investors reap a good harvest at the box-office.

Rating:- * * *.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 12:54 pm 

filmibuff wrote:

Quote:
The dance competition track ['Kya Mera Chehra Romantic Hai?'] is the best song, picturisation-wise, while the title track is a gem, lyrically speaking [Sameer].

Ishq Vishq Pyar Vyar, Ishq Vishq Pyar Vyar
I believe in love, love, Ishq Vishq Pyar Vyar

Well I guess everyone has their own tastes........

Quote:
Amrita Rao is a revelation. If she was quite okay in her first film, she is incredible in her second film.

So she was ok in Ab Ke Baras, and incredible in Legend of Bhagat Singh......what about this one?!??!?! :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 3:01 pm 

so is the strike over

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 3:18 pm 

Amrita Rao, is really GOOD!! indeed!! I was impressed , in AB KE BARAS and LOBS, and my posts from that time will reflect! indeed!!

rest aside, THIS GIRL has potential..cheers!!

Filmibuff, do u remember, our discussion, between Amrita Rao, vs Arora( ghaii's new kitten)???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 3:27 pm 

Rediff:

Ishq Vishk is heart-warming

Kanchana Suggu | May 09, 2003 18:58 IST

"Arre, yeh to apni story thi [Hey, this was our story]," I heard one guy tell another as I walked out of a theatre choc-a-bloc with teenagers who appeared to have enjoyed every moment of the campus flick Ishq Vishk.

I couldn't agree more; the film is like that -- unpretentious and heart-warming.

Remember the first time you fell in love, held your partner's hand in public, announced to your gang you were 'seeing someone'; how you enthusiastically rooted for your college in inter-college festivals, dressed up for traditional day, hung out with buddies in the canteen, did last minute cramming for exams, gave proxy attendances for friends, were named on the dreaded blacklist, ogled at the college 'item', begged parental permission for overnight picnics and were perennially short of money?

Well, that's Ishq Vishk for you.

The story may sound pretty trite but, believe me, watching the film is a different experience altogether. Ishq Vishk is uncomplicated, has no villains and very few clichés. The new faces are totally refreshing.

Ishq Vishk may have been written by a bunch of people who are over 30, but the dialogues won't remind you of that fact. The one-liners are young, snappy and hilarious. The costumes and sets are hip and Anu Malik's music is catchy. What I enjoyed most was that the 19 year olds in the film lead very, very believable lives.

While Shahid plays his role well, Amrita portrays Payal with sensitivity and charm. Shenaz, on the other hand, is a bit of a let down. Yash Tonk as the college love guru is good.

Ghosh could have easily edited out a song or two, but Ahmed Khan's enjoyable choreography offsets their extraneous presence.

In an interview to rediff.com published today, debutante film director Ken Ghosh said anyone who had attended college would identify with his film. Full marks to you, Ken. You were absolutely right.

http://www.rediff.com/movies/2003/may/09ishq.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 4:50 pm 

:) :D :) :( :O :laugh: :;): ??? :;): well this is how your face looks from time to time while you are watching ISHK VISHQ. the movie is AMAZING.the most intelligent decision made by the Director is that he cut short the length of the film to just 135 minutes therefore there is absolutely no scope for the film to drag anywhere. everything from the performances to direction is firstrate. shahid kapoor is here to stay for sure and amrita rao( though she was never really bad in any of her last two movies) is just too good. you will know what i am talking about when u see the movie. there are some soo sweet moments in the flick that you really have a lump in your throat. shenaz is ok and does show some spark in towards the end of the movie. all an all a cool movie to be enjoyed by all.:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 5:15 pm 

have to make a point to catch this new flick......... after all those reviews my hopes are up........ btw i didnt know shahid kapoor is pankaj karamchand's kapoor(who is married to supriya pathak) son...... amrita rao was indeed very good in LOBS.. havent seen ab ke baras.....

arsh bhai i remember........... amrita arora looks bad and acts badly too and is one of the most irritating actresses as proved by APD and EAEG..... just cos she has ghai running after her soesnt mean anything .. amrita rao is pleasing to the eye and has a lot of talent... she may not have a Ghai to back her up but she surely has the talent that can make her go far....

Edited By filmibuff on 1052500701

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 5:24 pm 

You should watch, AB KE BARAS sunil, 2nd half is much better REINCRNATION story!! Raj babbar's son..I was not much impressed, but Amrita RAO, was GOOD as CONTEMPORARY girl, equally good in Dancing and PUNJABI belle with FREEDOM FIGHTER!!

She was a pleasure to watch! Indeed!

BTW!! songs of AB KE BARAS are GOOD too..

Edited By arsh on 1052501525

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 5:27 pm 

<quote>I was not much impressed, but Amrita Arora, was GOOD as CONTEMPORARY </quote>

arsh bhai you meant amrita rao right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 5:32 pm 

My apologies, corrected, I always CONFUSE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 5:45 pm 

I juss saw it i think its the best flick this year (so far) haha.....but i think it shud work at the box office !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 11:17 pm 

bhaskar wrote:
Ishq Vishq Pyar Vyar, Ishq Vishq Pyar Vyar
I believe in love, love, Ishq Vishq Pyar Vyar

Well I guess everyone has their own tastes........

And then there is 'Taran Adarsh'. Need I say anymore? :bangbang:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 11:20 pm 

SameerDVDcrazY wrote:
I juss saw it i think its the best flick this year (so far) haha.....but i think it shud work at the box office !

Hmmm.. Now both those statements don't say much for the film actually, do they? After all with all the crap we have had this year it does nto take much to qualify to be the best and the with all the failures around the same goes for box office success. :bash:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 8:54 am 

so we finally have a decent movie to watch after Jism this year. i wanted to watch this movie mainly for Shenaz, i think she has the cutest smile after Preity Zinta :D anyway now i will surely watch this movie. its a shame its not being screened here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 2:33 pm 

Here is the BAD one:

WEAK STORY WITH CATCHY MUSIC

By S Pankaj

Critic's I - View

click for larger view
Business in Bollywood has never been so low. Every Friday films are released and they keep on sinking at the Box Office. But, producers and filmmakers don't seem to learn any lesson from it. The producer of 'Ishq Vishk' is Tips. This company is also trying to make films with vibrant and catchy music. If their film doesn't succeed, at least they can make money by selling audio and video of their music.

click for larger view
'Ishq Vishk' follows this trend. The same college story is repeated where students come to fall in love rather than to study.

Ishq Vishk' is another old wine in a new bottle. Since, there was no option for them to watch a better film due to long drawn battle between producers and distributors, 'Ishq Vishk' opened to decent collections. The movie is the brainchild of its director Ken Ghosh. He is another dreamer who wants to repeat the success of small screen on big screen. A film runs on its story and not on its songs. Songs only add to the charm of the film. Ken Ghosh like his predecessor Anubhav Sinha has relied on locations and sets and has failed to give new dimension to film & story. Vinod Rangnath with his screenplay and Kiran Kotrial with his dialogues brought in some lively moments in the film. Cinematographer Amit Roy and choreographer Ahmed Khan have been unable to cover up the week story

Among performers, Shahid Kapoor tops all. He is a lovely and cute boy who has earned many fans with his music videos like 'Aankhon Mein Tera Hi Chehara' and others. Amrita Arora delivers a very good performance. Though her role lacks substance, she does that brilliantly and moreover scores over her rival Shehnaz. Shehnaz, on the other hand, looks plump and chubby. Her expressions are also not up to the mark. Satish Shah and Neeliam Azim do aptly as parents of Rajeev. Yash Tonk as the flirt guru does reasonably well. The film sports a trendy look but this mushy love story may face tough time. The music of the film is all right and will fetch a good sum to the music company. Title song is a definite hit and will remain on the music charts for some time to come. It has also generated a bit hype for the film. The audio sale will bring smile to its producers, but not the collections at the box office.

http://ww.smashits.com/index.c....ID=2584 :baaa: ??? :hmm: