It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 3:15 pm 

STARS DESCEND ON JOHANNESBURG

By Taran Adarsh
[reporting from I.I.F.A., Johannesburg, South Africa]

The flight from Mumbai to Johannesburg on May 15 was packed to capacity with names that would give all award functions in Mumbai a major complex.

From the Dy. Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Chhagan Bhujbal, I.M.P.P.A. President Smita Thackeray, Jaya Bachchan, Abhishek Bachchan, Rekha, Salman Khan with brother Arbaaz Khan and sister Arpita, Sunil Shetty and wife Mana, Sanjay Leela Bhansali with mother, Vinod Khanna, Fardeen Khan, Shilpa Shetty, Zayed Khan, Dino Morea, Goldie Behl with wife Sonali Bendre, Aftab Shivdasani, music director Anand Raaj Anand, singer Kamaal Khan, A.M.P.T.P.P. President Pahlaj Nihalani, Mukesh Bhatt, cricketers Zaheer Khan, Mohammed Kaif, Harbhajan Singh, ace choreographer Shiamak Davar... to the select press of Mumbai, the aircraft gave a feel of a hi-profile Bollywood function.

Where were the important dignitaries heading for? The destination was Johannesburg, South Africa, the venue for the 4th I.I.F.A. Awards.

The freezing winter [yes, it's freezing cold here!] did not deter the innumerable fans to throng the airport at an early hour [7.30 a.m.]. After all, the stars had descended on Johannesburg for an event that has been instrumental in putting the Hindi film industry on the world map. Zulu dancers greeted the guests at the airport itself.

Day 1 [Thursday]

TECHNICAL AWARD PRESENTED – 'DEVDAS' WALKS AWAY WITH 9 AWARDS

The technical awards for excellence in Hindi cinema were announced after a press meet, which highlighted the aims and achievements of I.I.F.A. Expectedly, DEVDAS walked away with a majority of technical awards (nine), while COMPANY bagged two awards and KAANTE and RAAZ one each.

The winners are as follows –

* Sound recording: Jitendra Choudhary, Vikram Motwane, Kushal Sharma [DEVDAS].
* Sound re-recording: Leslie Fernandes [DEVDAS].
* Song recording: Daman Sood, Biswadeep Chatterjee, Tanay Gajjar [DEVDAS].
* Make-up: Arun Pillai, Jaywant Thackrey, Pradeep Nahate [DEVDAS].
* Costume designing: Neeta Lulla, Abu Jaani, Sandeep Khosla, Reza Sharifi [DEVDAS].
* Editing: Chandan Arora [COMPANY].
* Special effects: Prime Focus [KAANTE].
* Cinematography: Binod Pradhan [DEVDAS].
* Dialogues: Prakash Kapadia [DEVDAS].
* Art direction: Nitin Chandrakant Desai [DEVDAS].
* Choreography: Saroj Khan [DEVDAS].
* Action: Allan Amin [COMPANY].
* Screenplay: Mahesh Bhatt [RAAZ].

The show was presented by Mandira Bedi and the awards were presented by Ramesh Sippy, Pahlaj Nihalani and David Dhawan.

The focus then shifted to the Centurion Stadium where a charity cricket match had been planned. For a change, there are not two but three teams participating, the teams were named after the sponsors of the mega event – Sahara [captain: Venkatesh], Samsung [captain: Anil Kapoor] and Sony [captain: Sunil Shetty].

The crowd went into a frenzy the moment Bachchan stepped on the field. The Big B triggered off the event by greeting each team and wishing them the very best.

This match was different. The crowd did not hold the Indian flag, but autograph books and cameras instead. Nor was there any commentator to announce the score. Instead, every time a cricketer hit a boundary (4 runs) or a sixer, the SRK – Ash number 'Ishq Kameena' rent the air. Later, on public demand, it was changed to 'Jadoo Hai Nasha Hai' from JISM.

The first match was played between Samsung and Sony and it was the Samsung team that won the match with a comfortable margin. The second game was in progress when this writer was on desk.

Stay tuned for more developments… To be continued.

Tell us what do you think of this feature