It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 2:38 pm 

Bhoot for Cannes premiere

Ramgopal Varma's Bhoot is to be premiered at the Cannes Film Festival. The festival at Cannes begins on May 14th while Bhoot will be released all over India on May 17th. Set to redefine the horror genre in Indian films, Bhoot stars Urmila Matondkar, Ajay Devgan, Nana Patekar, Fardeen Khan, Rekha, Seema Biswas and Tanuja in the lead roles. It tells the story of a married couple (Urmila and Ajay) who have just moved into an apartment in Mumbai. A woman has commited suicide in this apartment and Urmila's begins to experience eerie events. Claimed to be Urmila's best performance till date, Varma challenges to scare your senses sans white saris, cloudy fogs and horror masks.

courtesy B4U

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 3:56 pm 

it's being premiered at the cannes film market. so is JISM

what a great honour!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 12:40 am 

I say: Go Ram Gopal Varma!

I'm expecting a lot from this film, and I know I won't be disappointed! Now that its going to Cannes, I'm even more excited! I can't wait till June when the DVD releases!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 1:05 am 

Kishi6406 wrote:
I say: Go Ram Gopal Varma!

I'm expecting a lot from this film, and I know I won't be disappointed! Now that its going to Cannes, I'm even more excited! I can't wait till June when the DVD releases!

Unless BEI or some Western studio somehow bought the rights to Bhoot, expect the DVD to be poor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 3:00 am 

I dont have any HOPES from this DEI, EROS did maha crap DVDS of all RGV films, ROad was bad too..

So, this film, I am watching in THEATRE with DTS to be scared! :baaa:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 3:08 am 

arsh wrote:
So, this film, I am watching in THEATRE with DTS to be scared! :baaa:

Never underestimate the ability of an Eros DVD to scare the s**t out of you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 3:54 am 

Yep!!indeed, I am getting ready for video sound to get a hell of scare out of me, when, I watch, asli hero.. :nopity: :baaa: :bash: :hmm:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 12:53 pm 

a short review of Bhoot is up at indiafm. taran has praised urmila's performance the most. quiet a few spoilers in this review although not intentionally i'm sure. looking forward to this flick even more now..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:13 pm 

dograk wrote:
it's being premiered at the cannes film market. so is JISM

what a great honour!

:D

Is it playing at the Market or the Festival? They are two very different things.

The market is where they go to sell films. Any film can play there. Thousands of films are sold there every year.

The Festival is where they invite a limited amount of films to play and those are the films that the judges vote on for the awards.

If it is at the market that isn't really anything to get excited about. But if it is in the festival, that is GREAT news.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:20 pm 

I just checked.

It isn't among the films in competition so it must be playing at the market.

Oh well. Still really looking forward to it, but it won't be in the running for any of the awards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:49 pm 

TARAN, Hails BHOOT:

By Taran Adarsh

Flashback 1960s –

Horror films in Hindi cinema have been presented in a routine fashion over the years. The sound of the door, the owl on a tree, the pitch-dark night, the blowing of the wind, the soft movement of curtains, the lights going off…

Flashback 1970s –

The Ramsays redefine the genre. The skull in the verandah, the dead body being buried in the backyard, the aatma resurfacing to avenge the murder, the scar-faced ghost…

Nothing of the sort happens in BHOOT, directed by Ram Gopal Varma. BHOOT is atmospheric, spooky, bloodless and carried by strong acting and fleshed out characters.

The USP of this 1 hour, 59 minutes' film is that the story is set in the middle of the city. There's tremendous identification with the goings-on, with every character looking believable. Thakfully, there are no gore effects or rupturing organs or diseased vomiting.

If you expect the 'action' to begin after the customary song and dance between the hero and heroine marooned on a forsaken island, you're terribly mistaken.

There are no songs in BHOOT [you don't miss them either!] and the spirit – the bhoot – makes an appearance in the first ten minutes of the film itself. RGV breaks several tried-and-tested 'rules' this time around, yet the outcome is brilliant.

The first time the ghost appears, you get a shock of your life. You most likely will find yourself on the edge of your seat or huddled in a ball, anxiously awaiting the next scene. And then the ghost comes face to face with Urmila Matondkar. The impact is eerie. So strong is the impact that the sequence stays with you even after the show has ended and you've retired to bed.

The murder at the interval point raises the expectations from the second half.

Post-interval, more characters are introduced – Nana Patekar [who comes a scene before the intermission!], Rekha, Tanuja, Fardeen Khan, Victor Banerjee… and the reasons that prompted the ghost to haunt the house are unveiled. The sequences thereafter, right till the climax, have a nail-biting effect. It keeps you on the edge all the while.

RGV is in complete form this time around. Undoubtedly one of the best makers in India today, RGV proves yet again that he has the guts to take the untrodden path and come up with awe-inspiringly different stuff. The director's contribution looms large in every frame.

The performances are of a high order. Ajay Devgan enacts a role that is in sharp contrast to his action image – he plays a helpless husband remarkably. Nana Patekar is extremely competent as the tough-talking cop. Rekha is superb in her role [it would be unfair to reveal her role at this stage!], while Fardeen Khan [neighbour] registers an impact in a small but significant role. Tanuja [mother] proves yet again that she's a dependable performer. Victor Banerjee [psychiatrist] is first-rate. Ditto for Seema Biswas [house maid], whose performance adds to the mystery.

But the film clearly belongs to Urmila Matondkar all the way. To state that she is excellent would be doing gross injustice to her work. Sequences when she is possessed are simply astounding. If this performance doesn't deserve an award, no other performance should. It beats all competition hollow.

Two more aces of the film are Dwarak Warrier's sound effects and Salim-Sulaiman's background score. Both are of international quality.

Overall, BHOOT is a richly rewarding experience for the discerning horror fan. A must-see!

The writer witnessed a special screening of BHOOT last week. A detailed review of the film will appear when the film releases worldwide in June 2003.

Tell us what do you think of this feature

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 8:16 pm 

it's at the market - i know that for a fact :) and so is jism...that's what i meant by my earlier comment - and so, like moviezz said, nothing to get excited over!