It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 1:51 pm 

DragunR2 wrote:
rana wrote:
SR-D

The theatre manager said, SR-D comes off the film and is not Dolby Digital. May be he is wrong??

AMC official reply states it as:

"SRD is a dolby digital product, Spectral Recording Digital".

Any confirmation??

Rana

Dolby Digital is encoded on the film between the sprockets. SDDS is encoded on the edges of the film, I believe. For DTS, a timecode is printed on the film and CD-ROMs play the soundtrack in sync with the timecode.

Thanks DragunR2.

So, it implies that what I saw at AMC (SR-D sound) was the proper Dolby Digital presentation. What does Spectral recording mean?? I did notice Left, Right, Center sounds but none from rear or side speakers. Did Shakti have Dolby digital surround?? May be it was DD surround but there was no surround content in the original recording??

Rana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 3:33 pm 

Rana! ji, Dragun, nahin bola that it is equivilant to DD, IMHO, it is DOLBY SURROUND version, of course, belongs to DOLBY LAB!
As rear channel is MONO, not stereo, and if channel seperation is not GOOD u wont get any SEPERATE surround activity!!

SR-D is same as DOLBY SR!

It is DEFAULT recording format on HINDI films, besides DD/DTS...So, even if DD is recorded and rheatre is not encoded with DD decoder, it will default to dolby-sr...If both DD and SR are there and theatre has only DTS decoder and no DISC..u will be entertained with DEFAULT dolby surround..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:56 pm 

Arsh, does it mean that what I saw was in the default (back-up) Dolby surround and not the proper Dolby Digital. I think, AMC theatres are not equipped with Dolby Digital but do have the inferior Dolby surround. I like SDDS the best. AMC theatres have either SDDS or SR-D only. Indian movies never have SDDS so what we get at AMC is SR-D.

Rana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:01 pm 

U r RIGHT! rana!! ALL theatres are abt UNIVERSALLY equipped with SR-D!!
SDDS is very GOOD too, but ALL theatres dont have it..HINDI films dont have SDDS, mostly CT titles in hOLLYWOOD!

For HINDI films, even if u can LISTEN a proper DD and DTS by VIRTUE! U got a GOOD deal there!

HINDI theatres, mostly have DTS, so only DD print will default to SR-D. and if EROS dont send DTS disc wth it..then u r left with SR-d too!!

There might be OCCASIONAL with BOTH DD/DTS both! :baaa: ??? ACCIDENTLY!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:21 pm 

DOLBY site has the following:

http://www.dolby.com/tech/mp.br.0102.Ev ... Sound.html

The next step: Dolby SR
In 1986, Dolby Laboratories introduced a new professional recording process called Dolby SR (spectral recording). Like Dolby noise reduction, it was a mirror-image, encode-decode system used both when a soundtrack is recorded and when it is played back. It provided more than twice the noise reduction of Dolby A-type, and, moreover, permitted loud sounds with wider frequency response and lower distortion.
The 35 mm optical soundtracks treated with Dolby SR instead of Dolby A-type not only sounded superb in cinemas equipped with new SR processors, but also played back satisfactorily in all cinemas. This led to the situation today, whereby the analog soundtracks on virtually all prints are Dolby SR tracks.

The digital age begins
The next film sound development from Dolby Laboratories was Dolby Digital, introduced in 1992. Dolby Digital puts a six-channel digital optical soundtrack in addition to a four-channel SR analog track on 35 mm prints (Figure 4). This format is yet another significant step forward in film sound, providing independent left, center, right, left surround, and right surround channels, plus a sixth channel for bass effects (Figure 5).
In addition to its six-channel capability, Dolby Digital provides extraordinary dynamic capability, wide frequency range, low distortion, and relative immunity to wear. Its combination of high quality, reliability, and practicality has been proved in cinemas around the world, and today it is the most popular digital format, with the most equipped cinemas worldwide and the most releases.
As with previous Dolby developments, Dolby Digital did not obsolete existing cinema installations. Prints can play conventionally in any cinema, while the digital track can be reproduced in cinemas with Dolby Digital soundtrack readers and decoders.

IT SEEMS THAT WHAT PLAYS AT AMC IS DOLBY SR. It's not as good as Dolby Digital as Dolby SR is only for back-up. AMC official reply that SR-D is DOLBY DIGITAL format is ERRONEOUS. Perhaps even they don't know.

Rana

SO, I still have to see my first Hindi movie in Dolby Digital. Devdas that I saw at Cinesphere was in DTS and the theatre Rocked. Devdas at AMC that I saw must have been in SR-D. Shakti at AMC was SR-D as I know.

What's the audio format at Albion in Toronto?? I think it is one release older than SR-D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 3:34 pm 

Any Verification from theatrical audio experts. Is "SR-D" Digital or not?? Is it surround or not?? Ali, Arsh, DragunR2, Congress, Sunnyaudit et.al.

Thanks.

Rana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 5:58 pm 

SR-D is not DIGITAL, it is ANALOGUE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 6:24 pm 

arsh wrote:
SR-D is not DIGITAL, it is ANALOGUE!

Thanks for confirmation Arsh.

AMC PR dept is also working on my enquiry and will get back to me. Their first reply implied it to be a Digital product. When I countered them, they replied back that they will get back to me with clarification.

Too bad, despite being state of the art "Big Screen Big Sound" theatres, they aren't equipped with DD. For Big Hollywood movies, they are state of the art as SDDS is better than DD and Hollywood Big movies do have SDDS prints available.

Rana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 6:33 pm 

YAAR!! I'll recomend sending e.mail to DOLBY LAB in SFO, CA, USA!! they r really good! will be AUTHENTIC! :baaa:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 6:52 pm 

Sorry, duplicate post.

Rana

Edited By rana on 1034362457

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 6:53 pm 

Thanks to you Arsh, and the info on Dolby site, I have found the authentic answer.

The reason for cofronting AMC is for them to know that people know and care that their theatres have sub-standard audio on many of their movie presentations. Their competitors, Famous Players and others are all equipped with DD, DTS, SDDS screens. They (Famous Players, ---) do try to match theatre audio to Film audio format. That's what make them THX certified. I don't think THX certification will allow any theatre to use back-up audio tracks.

Actually, many a times I had felt that Sound in AMC was not as good as in Famous Players, but didn't know the reason.

Many a times AMC sound was superb. Those must have been SDDS Films.

I am sure, I will get a reply from them. I will let you know, what they say.

Rana